Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2520 with a 62D deck. I've been using it to cut the grass at my house (1 acre, flat and level) for the full three years I've owned the machine, and I bought the deck with the mulch kit installed. Up until early June of this year, I had only ever cut with the mulching kit and the original mulching blades, and was happy with its operation. Until...

I rubbed the right side of the deck against a firewood log that was at the edge of a stack of logs and the mulch plug on that side of the deck ended up contacting the cutting blade. The plug was cut and no longer held its shape, and this caused the top of the blade on that side to be able to contact the underside of the plug above it.

I removed the mulch kit and installed the original "regular" blades and finished cutting the 1/4 acre of grass that was left at that point.

In the last 14 years, I have owned two different homes for about 11 years in total. And, at both of those properties, I cut the lawn using mulching equipment only. I have always been happy with the results - smooth cut, extremely fine clippings that go right back into the soil, and no raking required. When fall comes, I change nothing and still don't rake.

When I pulled the mulch kit from the deck and swapped back to standard blades, I was very disappointed in the size of the clippings that were left behind and realized that raking was imperative. So, kept going over the area until I had made one rather large windrow of clippings and raked that up.

I immediately started looking for how I could get the mulch kit back up and running and wasn't finding any information regarding parts (it seemed that replacing the whole kit was the only option, and a pricey one at that). So, I did a little research into the Gator Blades and decided to pick up a set of the newest heavy duty ones.

The Gator Blades are described as being able to provide a mulch like cut, but are NOT intended for use with a mulching kit. So, in essence, I would still get the side discharge process but should expect very fine clippings. Having had a chance to now use all three different setups, here are my personal thoughts:

- Standard Blades: If you don't know any better, they're fine. Even, smooth cut and smooth overall operation. Be prepared to bag or rake, though, unless you are only cutting 1/2" or less of the grass.

- Gator Blades: Produce a noticeably finer clipping compared to the Standard Blades, and will "semi-mulch" longer cuts. You will still need to bag or rake, however, unless you're cutting less than about 3/4"-1".

- Mulching Kit: Finest of all cuts, consistent length regardless of how much length is being cut. In taller or wet grass, the clippings will clump up a bit, and you may need to go back over the area a couple of times after it has dried out.

The mulching kit seems to be the "loudest" of all of the setups, but it also creates the absolute least amount of dust if the ground is drier and not completely covered in dense grass. Additionally, being able to keep the side discharge chute in the up position allows for more accuracy of cut along the right edge if you're trimming up close on that side. For me, I will mulch always. If, for some reason, I can't... I will wait until I can.

Be careful not to run the deck against anything while cutting, though, or your mulch kit will likely suffer the same demise that mine did.

I've mowed twice with the Gator Blades, including the time I cut only 1/4 of my lawn. They're coming off this weekend and I'm putting the mulch kit back on (I found out that the plastic plugs are available individually and bought only the one that I had damaged for about 1/3 the cost of the whole kit).

Any interested in a set of Gator Blades for a 62D?

·
Registered
528 Posts
where were you in May when I bought my first set???

Glad you were able to find the plugs and get back to the quality and clean cut you have been looking for.

I am happy with my gator blades over the standard ones as they would make terrible windrows during the spring grow season. I have always kept the deflector chute up and with the gator blades my windrows have gone away. I have about 2 acres to mow so raking is not an option.

maybe.......... I need a second set.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where were you in May when I bought my first set???

Glad you were able to find the plugs and get back to the quality and clean cut you have been looking for.

I am happy with my gator blades over the standard ones as they would make terrible windrows during the spring grow season. I have always kept the deflector chute up and with the gator blades my windrows have gone away. I have about 2 acres to mow so raking is not an option.

maybe.......... I need a second set.
I have kids that run around in the yard, and dogs too. Leaving clippings means tracking them back into the house for at least the next couple of days in the mornings when taking the dogs out (dew). So, while the Gator Blades are definitely -better- than the Standard Blades, my preference is still completely on the mulch camp.

I occasionally have to go to RI for work. If you decide you're interested, and I'm headed there (no plans for another month at least), I'd be happy to meet up if you wanted to have a second set. Send a PM with an offer if you're interested.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
The mulch baffles and plug on the right side of the deck on my 1025r is steel. Are the ones on yours as well? We run the mulch kit all the time except for a few times after the gardens planted. The clippings help keep the weeds done and moisture in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mulch baffles and plug on the right side of the deck on my 1025r is steel. Are the ones on yours as well? We run the mulch kit all the time except for a few times after the gardens planted. The clippings help keep the weeds done and moisture in.
All of the inserts and such on this kit are plastic. And WAY overpriced plastic at that.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
All of the inserts and such on this kit are plastic. And WAY overpriced plastic at that.
I'd be replacing blades if one hit the metal baffles I've got. And the metal one is just as pricey as the plastic btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I found out that the plastic plugs are available individually and bought only the one that I had damaged for about 1/3 the cost of the whole kit.
I'm surprised at the high cost of the plastic plugs available through the dealer. A complete mulching kit (P/N BM21890; John Deere 62C, 62D & 62X Mulching Kit BM21890) runs $230 and includes 3 blades (which I don't need). If I just want the plastic plugs (2 pieces) the dealer wants $200 + mounting hardware. Where did you find the plugs for less?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe it was Green Farm Parts. I had to send them a message and have them find the link for me that pointed to the part I needed....

·
Premium Member
12,682 Posts
I'm okay with the performance of the mulch kit but I don't like the way it fits. On my 48" deck the plastic baffles don't fit very tight and as a result grass clippings and debris gets trapped between the baffles and the steel deck. Removing the mulch kit to clean every other mow would be a royal pain.

I'm concerned that all of the trapped debris will lead to rust and corrosion.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm okay with the performance of the mulch kit but I don't like the way it fits. On my 48" deck the plastic baffles don't fit very tight and as a result grass clippings and debris gets trapped between the baffles and the steel deck. Removing the mulch kit to clean every other mow would be a royal pain.

I'm concerned that all of the trapped debris will lead to rust and corrosion.
I can appreciate that. I seldom mow when the grass is wet, and the gaps are mostly filled now with dry debris. Haven't seen any signs of premature corrosion from this as of yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe it was Green Farm Parts.
Thanks for the info. They've got a nice parts list / drawing for the mulch kit (http://www.greenfarmparts.com/John-Deere-Compact-Utility-Tractor-Parts-s/4.htm#/John_Deere/62-IN_(62D_"On_Ramp")_Mid-Mount_Mower_(Shown)_(2320_Compact_Utility_Tractor)_-PC9426/MULCH_KIT:_Mower_Deck_62D_Drive_Over_2520//2720_CUT/94260003). Their prices are the same as other dealers.

Given the discussion on the problems with the mulch kit, I'll stick with my Gator blades.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I had stated, the Gators had a lower noise level, but they kicked up a ridiculous amount of dust (IMHO). The issue -I- had with the mulch kit was my own doing. I broke it. Otherwise, I've used it three years without an issue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I rubbed the right side of the deck against a firewood log that was at the edge of a stack of logs and the mulch plug on that side of the deck ended up contacting the cutting blade. The plug was cut and no longer held its shape, and this caused the top of the blade on that side to be able to contact the underside of the plug above it.

gth regardless of how much length is being cut. In taller or wet grass, the clippings will clump up a bit, and you may need to go back over the area a couple of times after it has dried out.

I've mowed twice with the Gator Blades, including the time I cut only 1/4 of my lawn. They're coming off this weekend and I'm putting the mulch kit back on (I found out that the plastic plugs are available individually and bought only the one that I had damaged for about 1/3 the cost of the whole kit).
What are the "plugs" you are referring to? I'm trying to learn about mulching kits and I am not sure what plastic plugs are.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are the "plugs" you are referring to? I'm trying to learn about mulching kits and I am not sure what plastic plugs are.
In addition to the different blades, the mulch kit for the 62D deck consists of two molded plastic pieces that install into the underside of the deck, filling space and creating a different set of spaces and contours necessary for mulching.

·
Registered
747 Posts

I'm pretty sure the 62" deck is a lot different from my 54" deck, but here's what the mulching kit for a 54" deck looks like.... It's just a couple of blow molded plastic fillers for the underside of the deck, 3 "mulching" blades, and some hardware. It changes the shape of the underside of the deck and blocks off the exit...

DSCF6508 - Copy.JPG

DSCF6509 - Copy.JPG

DSCF6518 - Copy (2).JPG

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 455 with a 60" deck and an X758 with a 60"HC deck.

From what I've read, each one uses a different mulch kit. I don't think I can afford a mulch kit for both. Any idea which deck with its respective mulch kit would do a better job of mulching leaves?

ErikR, how long did it take you to install that mulch kit?

·
Registered
747 Posts
ErikR, how long did it take you to install that mulch kit?
There's not much to it. I'd say that now that it's been off and on a couple of times, I could probably put it back on about 15 minutes. That includes dropping the deck, install, driving back over the deck to hook it up, and put my tools away.. Scraping the dry grass off the underside so things fit nice would probably take the longest.

Reactions: Robnik and TJR345

·
Premium Member
13,624 Posts
I have the mulch kit on my 54D, very impressive to say the least, even when mowing grass that is slightly overgrown due to having to wait because of rain for several days. I've heard a few people mention that they use Gator Blades with the mulch kit for remarkable results, I haven't tried that yet,maybe next season. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I did the cheap version,gators and a screen works great mulching leaves and a little grass,I'll give it a good test on grass next year.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,034 Posts
I know I am dragging up an almost 4 year old thread here but it is perfectly revelant to my query.

I have 2 issues I need to deal with. I have a 2520 with 62D deck. The original post in the thread my needst perfectly. Thank you meburdick!

I never knew there was a mulch kit available for the 62D deck. Also, I have never used a mulch kit on any mower I have ever had.

One issue is leaves. I’ve never touched them in the 20 years we’ve lived here - they just always seem to disappear by spring time but not this year. I have a bunch of red oak trees - leaves cover about 1 acre of the 3 acres I keep as finished lawn.

Second issue are grass trimmings. We have very heavy dew each morning that lasts at least until noon. For 2-3 days after I mow we are constantly tracking clumps of grass clippings in the house.

The only possible issue I see is that I have areas of my mowed area that are perpetually wet. Not wet as in swampy but the grass just never dries out. I am concerned with the deck getting all clumped up underneath with the wet grass. I do get a sticky mess as it is so am used to cleaning the deck often.

I am hoping a mulch kit will help with these issues. $220 is a lot for me to spend but don’t mind if it works. I guess I might be lucky enougj that the kit is still available since the deck isn’t made anymore (at least I don’t think it is).

Any thoughts or opinions?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts