Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started my sandblaster re-do project... The way I have it now it fills the hose with media as soon as I crack the bottom ball valve.

What I'm going to do to improve performance is switch the Tee at the bottom of the tank for a Wye and 45 street ell and add a regulator to the 2" pipe water trap on the side of the tank to control the tank's air pressure. I want to be able to adjust it down to 10-15 psi.... The way it's plumbed now the tank gets 90 psi, way to much pressure I was told by a professional sandblaster.

Because I've changed out the plumbing at the bottom of the tank to a Wye and 45 street ell fittings the blasters original legs are now to short, the Wye touches the ground, so I need to build new legs too.

I'm using the floor jack under the Wye fitting to give me the ground clearance I want and to help me plumb the tank.
It's easy with a hammer to tap the jack left or right or roll it forward or backward to plumb the tank both ways.

I changed my mind on the legs that's why they're now two individual legs instead of a one piece leg.
I made the wheel spacers from tubing I had.

The rest is pretty much self explanatory. First I had to try fit the leg to see what angle I wanted to use then tack the leg on the tank.

Tomorrow I'll do the other side with the bigger MiG, the 180 doesn't have the power to one pass 1/4" steel, It was OK but it's a bit cold, and we had it set all the way up, 10/100 .... Tomorrow my MM 251 will be coming out to finish the job, it's set to spray arc.

The green steel was given to me years ago, it was used to support a gangway in a factory I was told. It's a nice American steel.

The first pictures show the way the sandblaster looked before I cut legs and the safety ring off the bottom of the LP tank.

The second two pics will be of the way my plumbing was and how it's going to be after the re-do.

More tomorrow guys, I'm bushed, have a great day tomorrow. :bye:..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
You always have the best ideas on improving your equipment. I enjoy following your projects thru the photos. I'm a very poor welder which is a big handicap with my home projects.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Jim, thanks so much for this thread! I've got a 5 gallon pot chicom blaster, and it always clogs within a minute or two. Got a water trap on it, so didn't think moisture was the problem and adjusting air flow with the ball valve didn't help. Never dawned on me that too much pressure might be the culprit, and never ran across that on any of the forums. I'm running about 90 psi at the tank, so next step is to knock the pressure back at the air outlet to 10 psi or so, hook up the blaster and give it a go. If that works I'll plumb one in on the tank. :good2:

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
Great project!

What method do you used to cope the angle iron?

I need to make a 90* brace for a overhanging counter top I just put in the new basement shop-I have some 2 1/2" angle iron to use. I was leaning towards mitering the joint 'cause it's easy with the chop saw...

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Yup, another GREAT Tackit project. Thank you. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Glad you all like the pictures. I love to look at what guys are doing too.. I have gotten many ideas that way and then altered them for my purposes.

I get ideas from pictures of name brand products too. Like the water trap on the side of the LP tank, I got that from a 1.5 cu/ft Marco Sandblaster. http://www.airblasting.com/product.cfm?PID=491

In most cases what I end up with boils down to the kind and size of steel I have on hand and any salvaged parts I can round up. :laugh:

Kenny I used my Ellis band saw for one cut and then switched to my hand operated Milwaukee band saw to make the cut down the corner of the angle iron. It only takes seconds to cut the corners out that way.

Uncle Wayne my 65 year old eyes are bad now, I need to have my cataracts removed this fall, I've chickened out twice now, man I hate the thought of being cut on, especially my eyes... . When I hit the trigger everything goes black, so for now the SIL does the welding.

I know how frustrating it can be not to be able to weld like you want too. Keep practicing, keep your gun at the right angle for the job you're doing and at the proper distance. Practice on scrap to learn the right heat and travel speed. To fast and the weld's sides and height won't be even or washed in...to slow and the bead will be to high and to wide. It will come friend.. :good2:

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I love coming up with projects and seeing my ideas come to fruition, it's very satisfying...

I find designing a project, choosing a technique and the tools I'll use to build it, and if I can, use salvaged parts I've had on hand for years to keep the cost down as satisfying as the welding. :drinks:

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dellwas I was told by a professional blaster I was dumping to much pressure into the tank. I hope the regulator works. I should have the tank finished in a week if something doesn't break or more important comes up... I'll be sure to let you all know and show photos of the job it does. :good2:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the reason I want to get the sandblaster going, I want to restore this Montgomery Wards GT. It's built like a tank, I think it' was built by Gilson? for Wards. I haven't done a background check on it yet though, once I get started on it I will.

At present I have Rufus guarding it with his bullet proof lifesaving vest. :laugh:

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
Kenny I used my Ellis band saw for one cut and then switched to my hand operated Milwaukee band saw to make the cut down the corner of the angle iron. It only takes seconds to cut the corners out that way.
Thanks Jim...I don't have a vertical bandsaw (for metal anyway) but I do have a Porta-Band. Still not sure...may just miter it.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Sounds good, buddy! I'll let you get it fine tuned before I tackle mine :tongue:

dellwas I was told by a professional blaster I was dumping to much pressure into the tank. I hope the regulator works. I should have the tank finished in a week if something doesn't break or more important comes up... I'll be sure to let you all know and show photos of the job it does. :good2:

·
Banned
747 Posts
Jim,

You might find this site useful if it is a Gilson. It primarily deals with snowblowers, but the owner is very familiar with all things Gilson.

http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowblower.html

Here's the reason I want to get the sandblaster going, I want to restore this Montgomery Wards GT. It's built like a tank, I think it' was built by Gilson? for Wards. I haven't done a background check on it yet though, once I get started on it I will.

At present I have Rufus guarding it with his bullet proof lifesaving vest. :laugh:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kenny 45 miteres will work just as good. Kenny I may have mislead you, the Ellis is a horizontal band saw, I made the down cuts with it.

It's much more accurate than a porta band. The Ellis was one of the first tools I bought for the new shop. I do almost all my cutting on it.

I recently been thinking about buying a shop fox 4X6 horizontal band saw and setting it up to be a vertical band saw. It would be allot cheaper than a buying a commercial metal cutting verticle band saw. I don't need one for scroll work, just for making straight cuts like I needed to make the ange iron corner.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
kenny 45 miteres will work just as good. Kenny I may have mislead you, the Ellis is a horizontal band saw, I made the down cuts with it. It's much more accurate than a porta band. The Ellis was one of the first tools I bought for the new shop. I do almost all my cutting on it. I recently been thinking about buying a shop fox 4X6 horizontal band saw and setting it up to be a vertical band saw. It would be allot cheaper than a buying a commercial metal cutting verticle band saw. I don't need one for scroll work, just for making straight cuts like I needed to make the ange iron corner.
Got it...and I do have a cheap 4x6. I will continue this in another thread, sorry to get you off topic.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the other leg tacked on good and top weld done. Tomorrow I need to buy some 1/2" for the front support leg then cut the tank loose from the table and weld every thing out.

The pipe spacer on the axle bolt is the way I pull the bolt/axel square to the leg for welding.

The one picture shows how I used clamps and a piece of tube to get the same angle on the other leg. It came out almost perfect after the leg was tacked on, the buble was just touching the line on the first leg, about a 1/8 off. This leg was perfect plumb. Thats as good or better than factory specs and without a jig.

The two kinds of MiG welds... there is another called globular transfer but spray and short circuit I would say are the most common types. .

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pretty cool Tackit. Using the lateral should make the sand flow better. Thanks for sharing.
Your welcome MJ. I'm hoping it allows the media to be vacuumed into the hose instead being pushed in, maybe being vacuumed in will provide a more even flow that will keep the hose from plugging.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts