Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped in to take a look at my trailer. They have started it..... They are waiting for a few parts to complete it. I have a steel tongue box that is coming, so they will have to weld in some braces and then put in the tongue jack. They are also putting in some guards around the lights and some finishing up stuff.

This trailer has 14K axles for the larger bearings and better rims/tires, 12K springs for a better ride and a de-rated 9,990 rating for the cheap permanent plate...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Are those fenders ones you can stand on? When I built my trailer for hauling my B21 (well, I had to do it at a friends house because I don't have a welder), I did not use heavy duty enough wheel fenders.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, you can stand or jump on them. That is a must for me since I get out of the jeep and stand on them when loading. We added a support under the fender to make them more secure as a bumper. If you look, the rub rail runs you into some angle iron that pushes o ut to the fender, then my tires will stick out just a touch. It does the same in the back. That will allow me to bump a tree in the woods if needed.......

·
Administrator
18,541 Posts
(well, I had to do it at a friends house because I don't have a welder)
Seems to be a re-occurring theme in your post's lately...what are we going to do about that?:laugh::laugh:

·
Administrator
18,541 Posts
Looks great so far Brian:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
733 Posts
So far so Good Brian! I didnt think you were gonna go with a beavertail?

Are those fenders ones you can stand on? When I built my trailer for hauling my B21 (well, I had to do it at a friends house because I don't have a welder), I did not use heavy duty enough wheel fenders.
For an electrical genius, I'm suprised you dont have a "Portable Lighting Machine :lol:)
Heck, I bet you could build one using parts you got laying around your house....

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Looking at your pix, I see the support. Wish I could add that to mine...

What will you use for the decking? I know I bought my PT 2x8 decking about 2 months in advance and let it sit inside so it could shrink. Had to force it in place, but now there are gaps between the wood. Can't imagine how big the gaps would be if I put the wet, green wood in there.

And oh yeah, don't ever loan your trailer out. Learned that the hard way....

I'd fix it but no, wait, I'm not giving Kennyd another line.:flag_of_truce:

Pete

·
Premium Member
8,090 Posts
Looks nice Brian. OK, I'm trailer ignorant and freely admit it; but am I correct that trailers don't have shock absorbers and if I'm right...how come?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far so Good Brian! I didn't think you were gonna go with a beavertail?
It was one of those last minute things that I thought might help me out when loading a small sports car. :thumbup1gif:

Looking at your pix, I see the support. Wish I could add that to mine...

What will you use for the decking? I know I bought my PT 2x8 decking about 2 months in advance and let it sit inside so it could shrink. Had to force it in place, but now there are gaps between the wood. Can't imagine how big the gaps would be if I put the wet, green wood in there.

And oh yeah, don't ever loan your trailer out. Learned that the hard way....

I'd fix it but no, wait, I'm not giving Kennyd another line.:flag_of_truce:

Pete
Pete, I do not see how you could not add the support now? My fenders do not need it, but its one of those things that I wanted.

I am doing 2x6 by 18' on this guy. I will put them in tight and let them shrink. I want gaps in the wood to allow the water to drain off the deck. :thumbup1gif: My only thought is if I put my diesel oil and diesel on right away or wait a bit.

Looks nice Brian. OK, I'm trailer ignorant and freely admit it; but am I correct that trailers don't have shock absorbers and if I'm right...how come?
I have never really thought about it. Most of the suspension on trailers is much more stiff than cars and you do not seem to get the bouncing effect like you would with a car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Shocks would be nice but possibly a waste of time and money because the leafs do a really good job on their own. Shocks would be good for delicate cargo or maybe really choppy roads?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looking good, Brian.

Good thought about getting the toolbox brackets on there early-on.

Couple of other thoughts: If you think you might ever use a winch, you might want to get the mounting on there now.

Also, if there is a possiblity that you might be using a weight-distributing hitch, you might want to think about the chain mounting points now.

I bought a PJ deckover and it had a crossmember in the exact location where the weight-distributing chain hooks needed to go. So, I had to fab up some custom mounts for this.

Best of luck with your build.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Plus 1 on the winch mount. Even a nice hand winch can come in handy but the weight that trailer can carry better go electric.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its done! I need to add a few more DOT stickers to the tongue. But for the most part its done. It was a nice day to put the deck on! 48 degrees here. The front box is perfect in size, but I thought it was going to be a touch larger. Fits in there good though.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,541 Posts
Looks great Brian!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
She's beautiful. You have to be please with how it turned out.:yahoo:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Great looking trailer! Custom/what you want is always nice :good2:

Pete :morning2:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Brian,
Very good job on the trailer, good design for hauling tractor and implements. Good combination of running gear vs. rating.:good2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts