Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I jump power on a starter generator to get it to crank with other wiring problems?

I have a 66 garden tractor I’d like to figure out the engine condition of, before digging into the actual harness to find the real issue.

The solenoid is not easily accessible to short the terminals.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
ryd, although I'm not familiar (hands-on) with the early 1xx tractors, I would think your motor/generator has 2 wires on it, maybe a black to ground and a Lt green to the voltage regulator. Verify ground with a meter and apply 12 volts to the other wire. From SM2069:

Hope this helps, Bob

Reactions: rydplrs

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
ryd, Do you have Service Manuals? If not, check PM.... err, Conversations! Bob

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,790 Posts
On the Gen/Start, there should be a "A" and a "F" (green wire) stamped into the housing.

Note: Black wire to terminal A, Green wire to terminal F.

To rotate(test) the gen/start manually, remove the existing wires on each terminal. Connect jumper wiring from a 12 volt source (booster/charger or battery) to terminal "A" to Pos(+) and Neg.(-) to gen/start housing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Where can I jump power on a starter generator to get it to crank with other wiring problems?

I have a 66 garden tractor I’d like to figure out the engine condition of, before digging into the actual harness to find the real issue.

The solenoid is not easily accessible to short the terminals.
As stated put 12 v on the A terminal. That will get the starter to turn, but you also need 12 v on the positive side of the coil to get spark. Once running remove 12v from starter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As stated put 12 v on the A terminal. That will get the starter to turn, but you also need 12 v on the positive side of the coil to get spark. Once running remove 12v from starter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The tractor has a very happy new owner, except he still needs parts for the one he’s restoring.

There’s about 1/4” clearance metal gas tank to s/g posts on that tractor, so if he didn’t want to start it I was ok with that.

I never looked in the tank, I use a push mower tank to test core function this week.

This was a suburban 12, a big block 112 rf.

I have a nice original roper rt-10 I haven’t brought home to test. It’s under cover and I don’t want to treat it as bulk.

That’s a snowblower on the left shelf.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.