Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased a Kubota D640 powered Cub Cadet.
That engine is the 3 cylinder 0.64 liter diesel.

The machine has sat in a covered shed for 3 years,,,

I plan on pushing it on a trailer, and bringing it home.

What should we do, before we try to start the tractor??
:dunno: HELP!! :confused:

Thank you!! :good2:

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
We just purchased a Kubota D640 powered Cub Cadet.
That engine is the 3 cylinder 0.64 liter diesel.

The machine has sat in a covered shed for 3 years,,,

I plan on pushing it on a trailer, and bringing it home.

What should we do, before we try to start the tractor??
:dunno: HELP!! :confused:

Thank you!! :good2:
I would probably check the air filter, change the fuel filter, change the oil and filter, charge the battery, and that should do it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
If it was stored indoors it will likely be fine. Follow the previous post. It may smoke some at the start, but don’t let that worry you.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the worry was for naught,,,

Well, we went to pick up the 1782 this morning,, armed with chains, binders, cable pullers, tire pump, jumper cables,, etc,,,
we were expecting a fight to get the 1782 on the trailer,,, :flag_of_truce:
I backed up the trailer to the tractor, hit the key to see if it would start,,
it cranked right up!! ,, Actually it started like it had been used the day before,, :yahoo:

I tried to drive it on the trailer,, it would not go up the ramps,,
the chains were spinning on the steel ramps.

We took off the chains, it went right on the trailer. :good2:

It is running in both pics,,,

We never saw a wisp of smoke,,
We pulled the tractor up to a wheel stop I had in the trailer, then, loaded the second Haban deck on behind the tractor,,
Literally, there was not 1/2" of extra length,,, the extra deck took the remainder of the trailer.

When we got home, we checked the fuel level, the tank was even full of clear fresh looking fuel.
The "clock" says it has 900 hours,,

Over the weekend, my son-in-law ordered EVERY filter from Amazon, they are due to be delivered today,, (I think he said there are six!!??)

He is excited, this is his 4TH tractor, but, it is the first one he has purchased,
the others came from his dad-in-law,,,,

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
All the worry was for naught,,,

Well, we went to pick up the 1782 this morning,, armed with chains, binders, cable pullers, tire pump, jumper cables,, etc,,,
we were expecting a fight to get the 1782 on the trailer,,, :flag_of_truce:
I backed up the trailer to the tractor, hit the key to see if it would start,,
it cranked right up!! ,, Actually it started like it had been used the day before,, :yahoo:

I tried to drive it on the trailer,, it would not go up the ramps,,
the chains were spinning on the steel ramps.

We took off the chains, it went right on the trailer. :good2:

It is running in both pics,,,

We never saw a wisp of smoke,,
We pulled the tractor up to a wheel stop I had in the trailer, then, loaded the second Haban deck on behind the tractor,,
Literally, there was not 1/2" of extra length,,, the extra deck took the remainder of the trailer.

When we got home, we checked the fuel level, the tank was even full of clear fresh looking fuel.
The "clock" says it has 900 hours,,

Over the weekend, my son-in-law ordered EVERY filter from Amazon, they are due to be delivered today,, (I think he said there are six!!??)

He is excited, this is his 4TH tractor, but, it is the first one he has purchased,
the others came from his dad-in-law,,,,
I had one of those, they are neat little tractors. The side panels are the worst thing about them, they have plastic knobs that have to squeeze together to pop into the holes on the tractor to hold them on, and the knobs wear out and break off. I was able to drill them and make some metal pins out of round stock for mine and then used hairpin clips to hold them on. Never had any more problems with them after that.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Don't either a Kubota

Take the air filter off, quick blasts of ether while you crank it, it should start up fine.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Our Kubota has big warnings not to use ether. I think there are automatic glow plugs that get hot enough to set off the ether in the intake manifold. They shouldn't come on in the summer but with an engine that's been sitting, who knows?

You might end up draining the fuel tank and replacing the old fuel with new fuel. Certainly drain a bit out of the water separator and see what the fuel looks like. The fan belt might have stuck so look for that as it cranks. I would guess you are going to find mouse nests in several places, mostly ones that are hard to get to. . . As the previous posters said, change air filter and make sure no mousey got past that.

Treefarmer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts