Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the time has finally come, my contractor (brother-in law) is ready to start my shop/garage project. I LOVE reading through everyone else's building threads so I figured I'd start one to show progress, etc. We're building a 60x40 framed building. Inside will be a 20x20 section that will be a dedicated wood shop, a 20x20 section that is going to be a kitchen/gathering room. Going to use this to process deer, cook for 'events' like birthday parties, etc. May use it to make maple syrup and use it to do our annual canning when the garden produces. Hoping to find a used commercial 6 burner stove for that! The remaining section will be 40x40 which will be the 'garage' which will house all the toys and everything else a garage is used for. Going to add a lean-to on one side to store trailers, etc as well. 12 or 14 foot ceilings, I can't remember what we went with right now lol. Went back and forth on heating and ended up choosing to go with 3 propane heaters to start and see how it does. Going to put one in the wood shop, one in the kitchen, and one in the garage. This is only a 'part time' shop so radiant was going to be way more expensive and just didn't feel like it was worth it.

Yesterday, groundwork started. Due to township requirements, the garage has to be behind the line of the 'front of the house'. Sure I have 10+ acres and putting down in the front corner of the lot would have been perfect.... but zoning won't allow it :banghead:, alas, it's going beside my current garage. Going to get a ton of lumber logs and firewood logs out of this, so I'm pretty excited.

Now for the fun part.... photos! This is all I have for now. I'll post updates as they happen. Hoping this project doesn't take too long! :laugh: But with holidays and hunting season coming up... it may take a bit.
Before:
23825534_10115539622573684_1996717741_o.jpg

23825701_10115539622533764_1300414090_o.jpg
Starting:
23825414_10115539622279274_352734524_o.jpg
Made a lot of progress in one day!
23847965_10115539622274284_1830305169_o.jpg

·
Registered
433 Posts
I look forward to following this thread.

Sucks about the zoning. We had that restriction on our residential lot in PW county, but out here in Warren on our agriculturally zoned lot it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Let the fun begin!

Not sure your weather/temps in the area, but I know here in ND, I personally will never pour a concrete slab without the tubing for floor heat.
Even if I don't heat it at all for years, at least the possibility is there, and floor heat is SOOO much nicer to work on/in. Only downfall is early fall/late spring when you don't need a lot of heating, it can get warm in the building, or not get warm fast enough due to heating/cooling the slab.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Excited to watch your build! :bigthumb:

Did you check with your zoning person about getting a variance? Depending on your lot layout, they might have granted it without a problem. I know one of my neighbors got one a few years back. And, the previous owner of our place must have gotten one since our garage sits forward of the front of the house.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excited to watch your build! :bigthumb:

Did you check with your zoning person about getting a variance? Depending on your lot layout, they might have granted it without a problem. I know one of my neighbors got one a few years back. And, the previous owner of our place must have gotten one since our garage sits forward of the front of the house.
No variances here. He didn't seem like he was going to budge on this issue....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking good after two days!
23847062_10115548003318604_1919207267_o.jpg

The 'neighbor's' looked quite confused/angry this morning.... :laugh:
23847823_10115548006242744_725278661_o.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
Whoops, I had the same variance issue plus others when I put up our garage in 2011.

Following along.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Looking good, Whoops! Anxious to see it all come together! I just had a 24x24 pole barn "implement shed" built - I wasn't on top of things well enough this year to setup a deer processing area, but that is certainly in the works for next year.

I'm in Lebanon County, PA and was fortunate to fall under the 1000sq.ft. cut-off so I was able to get a storm water run-off exemption. Hopefully you were able to get around that as well.

Good luck on Monday!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I finally have an update!!! After the last posts, Thanksgiving came, then hunting season came, then Christmas, then winter/snow/rain, so needless to say, nothing happened lol. We had a very cold and rainy spring here in central PA so it was hard to get started doing anything until 3 weeks ago. We learned a few things... like, having tons of WATER in the ground all around the house, so that resulted in a new french drain being installed behind the new building and the entire house. Definitely shouldn't worry about water in the basement now!! Footers are in, and the blocks have begun to be laid, however, it rains almost every other day so now the footers are full of water making the block laying impossible. My brother-in-law is ready to pull his hair out lol. And as soon as it does dry, it fills up with more rain. If we could just get a week of dry weather, so much progress could be done.... I have some photos!

Finally was dry enough to start digging the conduit/sewer/water line trench from the existing back corner of the house to the back corner of the new building
IMG952018042695095439.jpg
Another view of the trench. When he got close to the new building corner, water started coming into the trench so they stopped and did some investigating. He dug a stump out near the old shed there and it literally filled up with water in about 30 seconds. It was like someone turned on a faucet!
20180426_175503.jpg
The decision was made to dig a french drain ditch. As that was being done, you can see the 'water issues' we were having lol
Capture.jpg
The original entry plan onto the new pad was going to be off the exiting driveway up near the house. However, after digging that up and seeing how it was like quicksand, they tried filling it in with quarry waste, and it supported trucks ok, but we didn't really think it would work too well with big heavy trucks, like the cement truck, so we decided to put a new access road in to the pad. This should help after it's done with moving my trailers and such around so I'm ok with a 'new' driveway to play with.
20180501_172123.jpg
Footers are in!
IMG955149.jpg
The inspector approves!
546981073.jpg
The footers in the ground had standing water on them so they started on the back section which will be back filled with dirt so the building is kind of built 'into the hill'. Should help with heating/cooling for sure.
20180509_163723.jpg

That's it for now! There's more blocks laid but I don't have any photos. And we're supposed to get up to 2" of rain the next 2 days so we'll see how much progress is made. Next week looks to be a nice warm, dry week so i'm crossing my fingers it stays that way and the guys can get the brick laid so we can get onto the framing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
:munch: subscribing excitedly. This is nearly identical to what I want to do after some $$$ saving.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it's been slow going... the weather has just been a huge pain!! It rains every other day so the dirt becomes unworkable mud. However, in the few days it dried up, the blocks went up and 2/3 of the framed walls are up. Now, it's 90+ with a heat index of 100+, which is a bear to work in lol. Oh and it rained... Hopefully by the end of the week, all of the walls are done and next week the Amish will come put up the trusses and a roof! Slowly but surely, we're getting somewhere... Pics for fun!!

20180612_163743.jpg

20180612_163747.jpg

IMG952018062695150020.jpg

IMG952018062695150248.jpg

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

yup :good2: :good2: :good2:

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Love the story and pics. Thanks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Let the fun begin!

Not sure your weather/temps in the area, but I know here in ND, I personally will never pour a concrete slab without the tubing for floor heat.
Even if I don't heat it at all for years, at least the possibility is there, and floor heat is SOOO much nicer to work on/in. Only downfall is early fall/late spring when you don't need a lot of heating, it can get warm in the building, or not get warm fast enough due to heating/cooling the slab.
I agree that tubing should be put in, and I also agree that there is no better heat than in floor hydronic.
All that said I don't agree about the spring/fall temps.
I have had 2 garages with in floor heat and I never noticed anything other than a constant even heat/temp.

I would advise a thicker than normal floor, 6" instead of 4", The extra mass in the floor evens out the heat and once its heated it will take over a week to cool in 30 deg temps., extra insulation 4" instead of 2" under the slab and up the sides of the slab.
And I would advise extra insulation in the walls and ceiling.
Keep the doors to a min., put windows only on the south side, have a min. of 2 ft over hang so that you can shade the windows in the summer and expose them to the sun in the winter.

My garage is built out of SIP panels, a 3 1/2 sip panel is equivalent to a 6" stud wall as far as R value.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Walls are all up and sheeted. Trusses arrived Friday, Amish hopefully coming Saturday to put them up, then the roof!

20180711_184305.jpg

20180711_184308.jpg
The 'Inspector' was impressed with how big these trusses are!
IMG956550.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We're finally making progress!!!

A month ago (feels like a few days ago), the trusses went up. My brother-in-law employed some local Amish young guys to do the job. Boy are they quick. It's like watching a fine oiled machine. Then a week and a half ago, they put the tin on the roof. This coming weekend, the siding should be going up. Hopefully the floor gets poured in the next few weeks. Slowly but surely getting to the end!

Progress pics!
Brought a Crane in to help with the trusses.
20180728_081329.jpg

Got done really fast!
20180728_091242.jpg

Tin going on
20180818_083402.jpg

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
:bigthumb:--:munch:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Longest shop build ever.... Only one 'bay' is poured with concrete. Got that done in November before it got cold. I've been told that my Brother in law (contractor) will be back next week to start doing the remaining concrete. It's been too wet and cold to start. Still a lot of finish work is needed inside. A lot of dirt work is needed outside. But at least I have a roof to park under....

Current state:
20190330_164443.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts