Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody experience a change in engine RPM for first couple seconds. 1023E has always start right up at 1500 RPM idle right from the get go. The last two times on initial morning start up the engine does 500 RPM for a couple seconds (a little stumble) and goes to the normal 1500 RPM idle. Any restarting during the day is normal at 1500 RPM's idle. The next morning it's the 500 RPM stumble and goes to 1500 RPM's. This is all in warm spring weather. What's wrong here?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I'll just toss in that my VWTDI would do the same stumble thing when I had glow plug issues. Even though the glow plug light would only come on for a second or two, I always thought it helped on a cold start, even in warm weather. As I remember, I'd get a bit more smoke (usually white) on start-up too. For the rest of the day, usually no problems starting.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do always cycle the glow plug especially on initial start up. Just under 200 hours so fuel filter change shortly.

Ill tackle that under floor fuel filter first thing.

The air filters are clean, fuel is fresh.

Is it possible a glow plug is shot already?

Are the glow plugs fused?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I do always cycle the glow plug especially on initial start up. Just under 200 hours so fuel filter change shortly.

Ill tackle that under floor fuel filter first thing. Probably the problem.

The air filters are clean, fuel is fresh.

Is it possible a glow plug is shot already? Wouldn't bet on it but I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time or the last. :dunno:

Are the glow plugs fused?
In this warm weather I don't even cycle the glow plugs. I just start it and let it warm a bit and go.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the response. I changed the fuel filter under the floor. Problem solved immediately. Idle and start up perfect as it was originally. The fuel filter did look dirty inside. One thing I'll share is I relocated the filter a bit forward using a longer 5/16" hose and snipped of a bit from the other output hose to accomplish a nice clean install. The next time I need to service the filter it will be a whole lot more accessible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts