Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally hooked up the king kutter Xb for my 1025r ran like a dream. Made fine soil from a hay field. Doing my research I’m told that I should form long elevated rows for
My vegetable garden. Am I asking for trouble not doing this? Would a disc Harrow be the tool to achieve this? Does anyone just plant in the fresh tilled soil? Learning as I go So Appreciate any and all advice!!!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If you want to plant on “hills” you’ll need a garden bedder or hiller. I have one from Everything Attachments and they have some good videos on using the tool too. Heavy Hitch has one as well as many other companies.
You don’t need to have one to make hills nor do you need to have your plants planted that way most of the time. I use mine to hill potatoes and to make raised beds for my transplanted plants such as tomatoes. My soil isn’t the best draining and this keeps them from being flooded out in heavy rains.
You can make raised rows with a shovel or rake too. Just a little more manual labor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plant in tilled ground, no raised rows. Always does well, but I have gravelly well draining soil. How did the grass/hay grow previously?
I live in southern Wisconsin and I would describe the soil post till as very fine and almost powdery. Perhaps I will just plant on the tilled soil

·
Registered
403 Posts
I live in southern Wisconsin and I would describe the soil post till as very fine and almost powdery. Perhaps I will just plant on the tilled soil
Your lucky we have lots of rock (big ones) in most of our land.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
How big is your garden? We only have room for a small one, so I do all my hilling with a rake. The only things I feel the need to hill are carrots, melons, and squash, as carrots need more depth to grow in, the melons I can get more heat to in mounds, and squash prefer to grow in mounds (I don't have potatoes, they would be hilled as well). Everything else goes into furrows I put in the ground with the rake.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think my hunting club grows rocks in the green fields........
Well if you guys need some "seeds", I've got some for ya LOLOLOL

Reactions: PlumberHome

·
Registered
792 Posts
I made raised rows using 2 big discs on a "tool bar". You can get a tool bar online with what is called a keulavator (google it; think it's agrisupply). That site is where I got the big discs, too. Made 20 rows in a 75 ft wide, all 50 ft long. With the 4010's turning brakes, I could get to the end of one row, hit the right brake and swing it around to do the other row. Originally, I made raised rows with a Gravely rotary plow but was not able to get the full 20 rows in because of uneven spacing from the rotary plow vs. this rig.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made raised rows using 2 big discs on a "tool bar". You can get a tool bar online with what is called a keulavator (google it; think it's agrisupply). That site is where I got the big discs, too. Made 20 rows in a 75 ft wide, all 50 ft long. With the 4010's turning brakes, I could get to the end of one row, hit the right brake and swing it around to do the other row. Originally, I made raised rows with a Gravely rotary plow but was not able to get the full 20 rows in because of uneven spacing from the rotary plow vs. this rig.
View attachment 784967
[/QUOTE
That’s awesome can yiu send anymore pictures

1 - 14 of 14 Posts