Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have owned the property 2 years and have finally worked down the List of to do’s fixing the beds and landscaping around the house.

The mulch in the beds had turned to dirt with lots of stuff growing when we purchased the house. We have tipped out the unusable front walk and have started redoing the beds with red chip. In the spring we will pull the red chip back where we want to put bushes in and use piece of plywood with a cut out as we dig for planting. The tractor is a back saver and setting the railroad ties without forks would not be fun.

We had to preasure wash the bottom of the house walls where dirt had spateted up in the over 10 years Since the house was built. The walls looked dingy against the stone.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,713 Posts
Neat looking. (y) I like the use of Cross-Ties as a border.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Very nice!! That's going to be awesome when you're done.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
333 Posts
My wife and I are living in the same home we built ourselves in 1980 when we were twenty something and land scaping has been an ever changing on going process that we both enjoy, hope you enjoy yours, looks like you have a good start.

·
Premium Member
10,634 Posts
Looking good. Then tractors sure save a ton on manual labor, no doubt......

We did crushed colored stone around the house instead of mulch or bark, but it's a little tricky when using stone with a brick house due to the colors. The nice part about the stone is once its placed, no annual "mulch ritual" with the truck dumping 10 yards in the spring. I help several neighbors with their bark ritual, so I know.....

Also, you can actually stain your mulch or bark to make it look much nicer after its been out for some time. I did this with a neighbors mulch and it worked very well. I bought a cheap pump sprayer so I wouldn't wreck any of my good ones. Here are some pictures of then process.

This was just then first coating, which went very quickly. After the mulch was in, she decided she wanted a different color. Instead of pulling it all back out, I got her to agree to let me stain the mulch and if she didn't like it, then I would get rid of it. She liked it and after a second coating, she wanted me to spray all of their other mulch, which I did.

You can see the line in the first picture as I am spraying it, and the second, I left a box of the original color for comparison. The second coat went on heavier to wash down through the mulch. You do not want to get this on your clothes or the pavement as it stains and it is hard to wash out.

If you notice your mulch is looking "faded" after several months in the sun, you can spray it to make it look nice without having to haul more in......

mulch.jpg
mulch2.jpg

Reactions: Andursun0013

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looking good. Then tractors sure save a ton on manual labor, no doubt......

We did crushed colored stone around the house instead of mulch or bark, but it's a little tricky when using stone with a brick house due to the colors. The nice part about the stone is once its placed, no annual "mulch ritual" with the truck dumping 10 yards in the spring. I help several neighbors with their bark ritual, so I know.....

Also, you can actually stain your mulch or bark to make it look much nicer after its been out for some time. I did this with a neighbors mulch and it worked very well. I bought a cheap pump sprayer so I wouldn't wreck any of my good ones. Here are some pictures of then process.

This was just then first coating, which went very quickly. After the mulch was in, she decided she wanted a different color. Instead of pulling it all back out, I got her to agree to let me stain the mulch and if she didn't like it, then I would get rid of it. She liked it and after a second coating, she wanted me to spray all of their other mulch, which I did.

You can see the line in the first picture as I am spraying it, and the second, I left a box of the original color for comparison. The second coat went on heavier to wash down through the mulch. You do not want to get this on your clothes or the pavement as it stains and it is hard to wash out.

If you notice your mulch is looking "faded" after several months in the sun, you can spray it to make it look nice without having to haul more in......

View attachment 763287 View attachment 763288
Sulleybear What are you using to stain the bark mulch?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was dry enough today to set more cross ties. Plus I evened the top edges drilled and pegged the all of the cross ties with two 2ft long pieces of rebar. I drew the mitered corners together with 9 inch timber screws.
I had not used a sledge in a bit, pounding the rebar in wiped me out. The angles are 55° So I made a 27.5° template with a 2x6 to keep the chainsaw lined up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts