Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've got a John Deere 345 lawn tractor (about 1997). I started it yesterday, ran it for about three minutes and turned it off. When I tried to start it again just a minute later to back it up, it wouldn't start. No click of solenoid and no instrument lights. Moments before, the battery had turned the engine over easily, and it started right up. I pulled out the two fuses I could easily identify on the circuit board to the right of and below the battery, but they were fine. Any ideas? Alec

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Check the cables on the battery. I know my 180 gets testy after awhile because corrosion builds up around the terminals causing poor continuity.

Was driving mine through the yard just the other day (it had fired right up) and it stopped dead on me. Nothing, no lights, nada. Checked the cables - blue corrosion around the terminal. Quick job with a wire brush (wear safety glasses so you don't get that crap in your eyes) and good to go.

Not sure about yours, but if mine is in gear, or if the PTO was switched on it won't start either.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Not only check the cables at the battery also check at the starter and the ground. Batteries can also die quickly. But check the cheap stuff first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts