Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Step #1 drive way

There was kind of an overgrown path up toward what we picked as a build site on the 3.5 acre lot. We scraped the brush off and topped with about 1 1/2 to 2 foot of shale. Met with the log guy today. We have a couple of stressed oaks, several large dead trees plus three good sized ones that he will take down where the house sits. The shale should make a great base as everything runs over it during construction. We have about 2 months of design to finish up and then about another 3 weeks to get the timbers cut.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
:good2: That looks like it will be a nice spot for a house. I hope your building process is as enjoyable as ours was.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Very nice . . . looking forward to following the progress as you move along.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When we get ready for day to day work on-site we are going to put up a Brino camera that takes time lapse of the process. You can set for a picture every few minutes during working hours. Will probably use 15 mins spacing between pictures.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Very good. I hope you have a good builder. It makes the process easy. Dealing with the bank was the hardest part for us.

Those trees are bringing back nightmares. I cleared ours myself. Took me months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
We did the same for our driveway. 3 years later it’s hard as a rock.

What heat are you planning?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We are only clearing the foot print of the house. We have to stay under 1 acre disturbed or we have to pay to have a storm water run off study conducted and then engineer onsite detention. And we like living in the woods.

We have not settled totally on heat but the main part of the house is post and beam with SIPs panels (stud free). These are extremely efficient so we are considering geothermal as an option. Garage will be studs but the bedrooms and roof over the garage and bedrooms will all be panels.

Bank will be fun, builder has some that have worked with this type of construction. Getting everything to appraise is also going to be fun. That fun should start middle of August when the design is to the point we can take it to the bank.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Sounds a lot like what we did. I bet I cleared about 3/4 of an acre.

If you can do the Geo you’ll love it. We have a closed loop system and it’s been wonderful. Our hearing guy sized ours a little big. It’s a 3 stage climate master. I’ve never seen it run on stage 3. So it’s cheaper to run that way.

Cooling with it is dirt cheap. And heating isn’t much worse.

Our finished project.

Looking forward to following along on yours.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great looking outcome. We have never built before so its an adventure.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am in the middle of building my home and it looks like you are off to a great start. I found that the bank was pretty easy, (5/3 Bank) but the septic was a pain. Months of planning and numerous inspections. I hope your county is more lenient than ours. Your driveway looks good. I have found that I am continually adding stone as the concrete trucks and heavy equipment really take a toll on it. Also, we are doing total electric and I found that electric companies give a pretty big rebate on the more electricity they feel you may be using. Plus if you have plans to build a shop with electricity you may be able to get that rebate now rather than when you build a shop. I am sure you are getting a ton of advice but if you ever run into issues this forum is a great place to get answers. Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Something To Check Up On

Years ago I helped a friend of mine build his house. He had 10 acres of wooded land and carved out a winding road like yours. Volunteer fire department said that unless he cleared more trees out that they couldn't get their trucks thru without scraping. Tlhey told him that they would be unable to provide fire services if needed should he keep the trees. They even showed him which trees needed to be removed. Enjoy your build.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The spousal unit decided that the lot had too much road noise and wants to be a little more off the beaten path. So will be putting the lt up for sale. The permitted drive and septic may help a little in the sales process. You can now also get up in and look at it without crawling through brush.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The spousal unit decided that the lot had too much road noise and wants to be a little more off the beaten path. So will be putting the lt up for sale. The permitted drive and septic may help a little in the sales process. You can now also get up in and look at it without crawling through brush.
I can understand that, I like some space between me and the neighbors. Do you see it as a setback or a positive thing?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We found a house on 4.5 acres set back in the middle of a field and managed forest area. The drive is 700 ft plus deed recorded right of way through the forest. I get to buy a box blade yeahhh.

My first big project will be finishing the shed that was started and not finished. It is on a slab with windows doors, doors, roof, but no walls. I am thinking finishing with board and batton. I think it will fit with the woods and brick and stone house.

It also has a 1 1/2 inch conduit run 300ft to the basement for power. Just pull the cable and wire the building. Fun.

1AAB997B-BE97-4E42-B4A7-CAF3DAFE04D3.jpeg

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
That looks like a metal frame shop? Typically metal side panels are used on them. It's usually a kit, did the previous owner say anything about where those panels might be or are the long gone? I would see if there is a vendor name anywhere on the building and see if they have the plans so you might be able to source all the correct panels for it. The advantage is most of it should be pre-cut minus walk thru doors and windows.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We are working on getting into the new house. Paint crew is done ceilings and walls all look great. Now they are changing all of the Can lights to the new HALO selectable color LEDs they cover the Screw into the old bulb base and seal the opening. You have 5 light intensities to choose from we went middle. Also you buy them by ceiling height so 8-10 in the halls and kitchen. 12’s in the family room and 20’s in the family room. I hope to never have to change one. Also put up new ceiling fans. The lights with Antlers were not loved bu my spousal unit. The new onses are sleek and simple with a small DC motor in the hub, they move some serious air. This is on a 3ft down rod while the living room will be 6ft. In the last picture you can see a halo hanging on the left and installed on the right. They had to touch up the ceiling paint when they pulled the hold can rings.

We should be in by mid January when the new sewer grinder pump tank arrives. It was a 5 week lead time for the required 15ft deep tank.

93BAE465-7E58-4B8D-82CE-67D016B47DEC.jpeg
25FC9375-F38E-4700-9A9D-031A318F6934.jpeg
22D155C0-7623-4493-AFBC-690FCB910AE3.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
Nice! High Ceilings are a bear sometimes to deal with. I put a BIG Chandelier in a 2 story house that the entrance went to the 2rd floor. I had to put a electric winch in the attic hooked to it so they could lower it to service the bulbs and clean the crystals! Only one I ever hung that way but put up many in my trades lifetime. Least the LEDs will last a long time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts