Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm in Lowes, down the plumbing supply isle looking for some black pipe parts to hook up the gas grill to my house gas line. I'm standing there & this stupid moron mutant has a couple of shut off valves, like the ones you have under your sink. I see him digging into his pants which are like a size fifty but he looks like a size 32. Next thing I hear is this "Clank" noise as he deposits the valves down his pants where most of the rest of us keep other fond treasures. Then this jerk actually turns to me & says Hello. I did not know what to say except Hi back to him. He then walks back to the shelf with the valves & picks up another four or five & again, right there in front of me I hear "Clank clank,clank..."
He smiles at me & starts a speed walk down the isle. I started after him to follow. As Im going down the isle one of the Lowes red vests is passing so, I tell her about it & she gets on her walkie talkie & tries to get to the front of the store. Needless to say, this jackass somehow made it thru the door & got away with the goods.

My wife was shopping in the rug dept. & came over to the plumbing section after all this happened. When I told her the story, I regretted that I did not continue the chase & put the fool down on the deck. Then my wife reminds me that we live in a state here where any moron can buy a gun with nothing more than a drivers license. Down here they don't care at the hardware store if your insane & drooling as long as you can pay for it & flash the picture ID. Got me thinking that maybe this jackass could of had a gun on him.

So I find the overpriced three black pipe parts I needed. Went to the checkout & all I could think about is how much more am I paying for things because of this moron mutant's stealing. :nunu:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
So, I'm in Lowes, down the plumbing supply isle looking for some black pipe parts to hook up the gas grill to my house gas line. I'm standing there & this stupid moron mutant has a couple of shut off valves, like the ones you have under your sink. I see him digging into his pants which are like a size fifty but he looks like a size 32. Next thing I hear is this "Clank" noise as he deposits the valves down his pants where most of the rest of us keep other fond treasures. Then this jerk actually turns to me & says Hello. I did not know what to say except Hi back to him. He then walks back to the shelf with the valves & picks up another four or five & again, right there in front of me I hear "Clank clank,clank..."
He smiles at me & starts a speed walk down the isle. I started after him to follow. As Im going down the isle one of the Lowes red vests is passing so, I tell her about it & she gets on her walkie talkie & tries to get to the front of the store. Needless to say, this jackass somehow made it thru the door & got away with the goods.

My wife was shopping in the rug dept. & came over to the plumbing section after all this happened. When I told her the story, I regretted that I did not continue the chase & put the fool down on the deck. Then my wife reminds me that we live in a state here where any moron can buy a gun with nothing more than a drivers license. Down here they don't care at the hardware store if your insane & drooling as long as you can pay for it & flash the picture ID. Got me thinking that maybe this jackass could of had a gun on him.

So I find the overpriced three black pipe parts I needed. Went to the checkout & all I could think about is how much more am I paying for things because of this moron mutant's stealing. :nunu:
South Carolina doesn't require the Federal 4473 form and background check through NICS?

South Carolina Legislature Online - Search

I'm not thinking too many people would be willing to risk an armed robbery/murder charge over some plumbing valves.

Regardless - You did the right thing - notify the store personnel and let their loss prevention department handle it.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I hate thieves too...

Maddog, so...do you carry a gun? I carry mine everywhere. I dont care if they have a sign in the window or not (starbucks, etc). Unless...they have a metal detector, such as the courthouse,then its in my pocket. Of course it aint worth getting shot over some big box stores stuff. From what I've seen, they have as much get stolen by employees as customers

edit to add: about 8 years ago, I installed 6 walk-in coolers in a new private prison in Henderson Tx. I had to make a couple of warranty calls in the first year. Let me tell you...I hated to go in that place! Anyways...I had to take my van in through the back gate to the kitchen loading dock. I passed through two large gates with a guard at each one. My van was inspected.....for cell phone, cigarettes, lighter, and pocket knives.All these had to be left with the guard.They also looked in the back, under the hood, and had a huge mirror to look under the van to make sure there wasnt an inmate hiding there. It didnt matter that I had enough tools to disassemble the prison, such as my cutting torch. Or...the gun that was always in my center drawer in the doghouse between the seats.:lol:

·
Premium Member
12,226 Posts
edit to add: about 8 years ago, I installed 6 walk-in coolers in a new private prison in Henderson Tx. I had to make a couple of warranty calls in the first year. Let me tell you...I hated to go in that place! Anyways...I had to take my van in through the back gate to the kitchen loading dock. I passed through two large gates with a guard at each one. My van was inspected.....for cell phone, cigarettes, lighter, and pocket knives.All these had to be left with the guard.They also looked in the back, under the hood, and had a huge mirror to look under the van to make sure there wasnt an inmate hiding there. It didnt matter that I had enough tools to disassemble the prison, such as my cutting torch. Or...the gun that was always in my center drawer in the doghouse between the seats.:lol:
My dad used to service forklifts and occasionally had to go to one of the prisons. The guards inventoried all of his tools going in and said it all better be there when he came out.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
My dad used to service forklifts and occasionally had to go to one of the prisons. The guards inventoried all of his tools going in and said it all better be there when he came out.
It could be the type of prison or the fact it was a new private prison. This place was huge. And full. They told me that the average prisoner stay there was between 3-9 months. All of them are parol violators....and all from just Texas. Crap...that was alot of people evry year violating their parole! Also...about 1/2 male to female too. (Not co-ed though) Just different sides/bldgs.

I'm sure glad they didnt inventory my tools/parts. I would have been there for a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate thieves too...

Maddog, so...do you carry a gun? I carry mine everywhere. I dont care if they have a sign in the window or not (starbucks, etc). Unless...they have a metal detector, such as the courthouse,then its in my pocket. Of course it aint worth getting shot over some big box stores stuff. From what I've seen, they have as much get stolen by employees as customers

No, I do not carry a gun or own one. Im not anti gun-just not on my list of important things to do or own. When football season comes in to full swing down here, every day there will be some stories of drunk idiots argueing over the game & they will settle the score with a shoot out. I also know of jackasses who show up at family partys packing. Guns- Is that the only answer we have to stop violence, crime. I don't know.We have a lot of people walking around with the ability to take anothers life in an instant. And these same people never made it past the third grade. Don't misunderstand me.
Im not against your post. Im just questioning society in general. Maybe if we had more jobs, we would have less crime? I don't know. And if I did have a gun, I would use it to protect myself or my family in a situation. But I would not be using it to settle a grievance over football or the kid behind the counter who screwed up my burger order, or to kill the night clerk at the gas station for what's in the register & a pack of cigarettes.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
It could be the type of prison or the fact it was a new private prison. This place was huge. And full. They told me that the average prisoner stay there was between 3-9 months. All of them are parol violators....and all from just Texas. Crap...that was alot of people evry year violating their parole! Also...about 1/2 male to female too. (Not co-ed though) Just different sides/bldgs.

I'm sure glad they didnt inventory my tools/parts. I would have been there for a couple of days.

If we have to deal with the prisons, they don't let us carry any tools in. We have to use what they already have. Inventorying our trucks would take a while! :laugh:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I may be the only person that actually liked working at the prisons! Always got to eat at the warden's table. :fed: Did some work in the same prison Bonnie and Clyde spent time it. The building that housed Bonnie Parker, is now the hog farm part of it.

But I was amazed one rarely saw prisoners out, when there. They were indoors in a climate controlled area, watching cable TV. :nunu: But the rest of us worked in the heat or cold!

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Maddog, I think you did the right thing. I also hate thieves, but I look at it this way, there were no innocent lives in danger, he didn't threaten you or anyone else, and you informed the store to take action. It was only "stuff". If I were there, I may have tried to follow him and get a license plate number or car description, but I would even dream of physically confronting him. (I'm 5' 8" at 150 lbs, so tackling the perp is not a very good idea unless ABSOLUTELY necessary).

I grew up in NYC, and was taught and learned early that "discretion is the better part of valor". Your wife was right, you never know what's in the mind and pockets of others and how they can hurt you. You took action and that is commendable, but you also have to weigh the risks and rewards of your actions. I repeat, it was only stuff, not lives at stake.

KUDOS to you for the action you took.

Just my 2 cents AND I still hate thieves.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I wish that I didnt have to carry. And I didnt up until a few years ago. When my wife was almost accosted late one night while traveling ( I was in the bathroom of a small gas station,she was walking the dog. )If I had not had my weapon, when returning to the vehicle,it could have turned ugly fast. So...they prevent violence too. And yes...I had to draw the weapon towards two young gangbanger illegal aliens near Medina, Tx

I work in the service industry. Called out at all hours of the day and night. (HVAC) Working in the back of a convenience store/restaurant/bar in the bad side of town...it is almost a necessity. They see the tools, copper,think I carry money, etc. Also, never know when someone would call me out under the pretense to need my services, only to try and rob me. Its happened more than once around here. Although...both times I heard of through the supply houses was to unoccupied housing.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
I wish that I didnt have to carry. And I didnt up until a few years ago. When my wife was almost accosted late one night while traveling ( I was in the bathroom of a small gas station,she was walking the dog. )If I had not had my weapon, when returning to the vehicle,it could have turned ugly fast. So...they prevent violence too. And yes...I had to draw the weapon towards two young gangbanger illegal aliens near Medina, Tx

I work in the service industry. Called out at all hours of the day and night. (HVAC) Working in the back of a convenience store/restaurant/bar in the bad side of town...it is almost a necessity. They see the tools, copper,think I carry money, etc. Also, never know when someone would call me out under the pretense to need my services, only to try and rob me. Its happened more than once around here. Although...both times I heard of through the supply houses was to unoccupied housing.
I'm with you on wishing we wouldn't have to carry but in todays world...let me put it this way, I carry. For another 2 weeks I'm still a correctional office at one of our state prison's. I'll be retiring at the end of the month after 20 years. I've seen all kinds. The worse ones are the baby raper's. Personally, if I'd have been there I'd have pulled his pants down so he couldn't walk. Probably had them half off to begin with. At the very least I wouldn't have said "hi" without saying something he wouldn't have liked. You probably did the right thing but I'm good at doing the wrong thing. That's just me.

·
Premium Member
12,226 Posts
If we have to deal with the prisons, they don't let us carry any tools in. We have to use what they already have. Inventorying our trucks would take a while! :laugh:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply they inventoried the whole truck. They took in a toolbox containing everything needed (or thought needed) for a particular job. It still was a lot of tools and it required a lot of extra time during entering and exiting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts