Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a replaceable bushing on the end of the steering cylinder, this would be the end out by the front tire. Just turned 1000 hrs on my 07 2305 and noticed some play there. Timbo

·
Registered
715 Posts
It's just a hydraulic cylinder with tie rod ends. Does it leak? Play all by itself isn't worrisome unless you plan to drive it at high speed on pavement. By high, I mean a lot faster than it can go without extensive modification.

Al

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,522 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a replaceable bushing on the end of the steering cylinder, this would be the end out by the front tire. Just turned 1000 hrs on my 07 2305 and noticed some play there. Timbo

Below is a parts breakdown of the cylinder.
Item #17 is the Cylinder End Cap. It is turned backwards in the diagram. There is a bushing in the inner diameter, but it looks like it' only available as one piece. Part number is LVU802989.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possibly this bushing would be out on the part that connects to the wheel, definitely not on or inside the cylinder. Timbo

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,522 Posts
Possibly this bushing would be out on the part that connects to the wheel, definitely not on or inside the cylinder. Timbo
Could it be the Tie-Rod End is worn(#16 in the diagram of the previous post) ??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See diagram below.

Or, what about the nuts(#1) and bolts(#3) have come loose?? Or, the bore in the in the steering arm(#4) have wallowed out??

MP36236________UN08APR05.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes this is where the play is where you put the arrow, if no bushing any ideas to take up some slop in that piece. Timbo

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It looks like a tapered pin, there shouldn't be any play or movement inside the spindle, can you tighten the castle nut?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Yes this is where the play is where you put the arrow, if no bushing any ideas to take up some slop in that piece. Timbo
You can try a new tie rod end. If the hole is oblong you can weld it up. Then drill and ream another hole. Otherwise you will have to replace the spindle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You got 300 more hours than I did before mine gave up the smoke. I couldn't find a solution that I thought would stand up to the abuse the front end is subjected too. I replaced the cylinder rod OEM. It is not bad to replace. Remove the outer snap ring push the collar in and remove the inner ring and it slides out. Unbolt bolt the rod.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,522 Posts
Mr. Timbo,

The slop can be from wear in the steering arm, or the tapered shaft of the Tie-rod end(#16 in top image), or both. You'll need to remove the tie-rod(#16) to inspect.

A)-Check to see if the castellated nut(#22) is loose. If so, tighten it to see if you can remove the slop. If the nut runs out of threads and bottoms out, you'll need to place a hardened steel washer under the nut to allow the tapered shaft to travel higher within the tapered hole of the steering arm.

B)-If this doesn't do the trick, apply Devcon or J-B Weld(2-part metal repair). Follow curing time on package before use.

C)-If that doesn't work out, you may need to replace the steering arm(#4 in lower image) and tie-rod end. A new steering arm list for around $400. A used steering arm can be bought for under $100, but it may also have wear. :dunno:

D)- If the arm in the arm is worn, a machine shop should be able to repair it. Most tie-rod holes have a 7% taper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts