Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. My steering cylinder has been leaking since 2012. It wasn't too bad at first, but as time passes, it gets a little worse. Anyway in 2014 kennyd gave me the name of a place that would repair the cylinder. I'm not even sure how I ended up talking to Ken about this. At the time I did price a new one. I don't know what it was back then, but depending on where you shop, it's close to 400.00 now!:banghead: That, I did not want to do. I talked to the people at Curtis today. Actually his wife does the phone stuff. I just need to pack it up and ship it. I'm not sure if the 150.00 for the repair still stands today, but it'll definitely be less than a new cylinder. I mentioned that price to her which her husband gave me back in '14, but she couldn't say if it's still that price. She mentioned that her husband deals with hydraulic shops in my neck of the woods, and she would ask him if there might be someone close to me that I could deal with. I gave her my email address before ending the call. It wasn't 5 minutes later, and she called me. No one near me would repair that cylinder.

So, I will deal with the leak through summer until the weather changes after Fall, and I don't need the tractor much. I forgot all about having the info for Curtis Hydraulics until today. I took the plow and chains off, then changed the oil. Then there was that steering cylinder staring at me. I looked at my saved email stuff, and lo and behold, there was Ken's email from 2014!:good2:

So if anyone may need this type of repair, I would give these people a call for sure.:)

Curtis Hydraulics
8 Industrial Park Drive
Hooksett, NH 03106
603-622-7331

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
I hope they can fix you up Greg, these welded cylinders are tricky to repair - I wish JD din't use them at all!

·
Super Moderator
7,864 Posts
Hey folks. My steering cylinder has been leaking since 2012. It wasn't too bad at first, but as time passes, it gets a little worse. Anyway in 2014 kennyd gave me the name of a place that would repair the cylinder. I'm not even sure how I ended up talking to Ken about this. At the time I did price a new one. I don't know what it was back then, but depending on where you shop, it's close to 400.00 now!:banghead: That, I did not want to do. I talked to the people at Curtis today. Actually his wife does the phone stuff. I just need to pack it up and ship it. I'm not sure if the 150.00 for the repair still stands today, but it'll definitely be less than a new cylinder. I mentioned that price to her which her husband gave me back in '14, but she couldn't say if it's still that price. She mentioned that her husband deals with hydraulic shops in my neck of the woods, and she would ask him if there might be someone close to me that I could deal with. I gave her my email address before ending the call. It wasn't 5 minutes later, and she called me. No one near me would repair that cylinder.

So, I will deal with the leak through summer until the weather changes after Fall, and I don't need the tractor much. I forgot all about having the info for Curtis Hydraulics until today. I took the plow and chains off, then changed the oil. Then there was that steering cylinder staring at me. I looked at my saved email stuff, and lo and behold, there was Ken's email from 2014!:good2:

So if anyone may need this type of repair, I would give these people a call for sure.:)

Curtis Hydraulics
8 Industrial Park Drive
Hooksett, NH 03106
603-622-7331
They’re not too far from me. Maybe I’ll check them out some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
GLC--i have a spare steering cylinder that doesn't leak, not a drop. got it here laying on a bench, shelf, somewhere.:thumbup1gif:

downside to it...............it has the tie rod end broke on it:banghead: back when the nut worked its way loose, and then broke that end off, and no one wanted to weld another one on it, so i had to buy a new one then. IIRC--it was like $325--i think.

ur welcome to it-if u want one that has no thumping end on it, but doesn't leak:banghead::laugh:

·
Registered
110 Posts
just got a leak in mine

GLC--i have a spare steering cylinder that doesn't leak, not a drop. got it here laying on a bench, shelf, somewhere.:thumbup1gif:

downside to it...............it has the tie rod end broke on it:banghead: back when the nut worked its way loose, and then broke that end off, and no one wanted to weld another one on it, so i had to buy a new one then. IIRC--it was like $325--i think.

ur welcome to it-if u want one that has no thumping end on it, but doesn't leak:banghead::laugh:
if he does not take it I would like to talk to you about it

·
Super Moderator
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer, but I'll just stay with mine, and get it repaired when possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts