Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loving my new 1025R, but I have come to realize that I could probably benefit from a steering wheel spinner knob. Does anyone have one that you recommend? I saw this one online (TY26583), but someone said it didn't fit their 1023E, which I would think would be the same steering wheel as the 1025R. :dunno:

TY26583-0-1.jpg

·
Administrator
20,679 Posts
They work very well and fit perfectly fine ONLY if trim the piece of rubber to fit the wheel where it's more flat than round. Then the spinner can grab at any angle you set it to. All of mine have been set up this way with the modern "not perfectly round" (cross section wise) steering wheels.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They work very well and fit perfectly fine ONLY if trim the piece of rubber to fit the wheel where it's more flat than round. Then the spinner can grab at any angle you set it to. All of mine have been set up this way with the modern "not perfectly round" (cross section wise) steering wheels.
When you say trim, you mean trimming the bracket, not the steering wheel, right?

·
Administrator
20,679 Posts
No sir. Look at the spinner picture you posted again. It comes with a rubber strip to allow it to mount to smaller diameter steering wheels and give it better clamping force. All you need to do is trim that rubber strip to fit the wheel for a round fit. Let me go get a pic of mine. It'll make more sense. :good2:

·
Administrator
20,679 Posts
Here’s a couple of pics.

Notice the spinner is perpendicular to the wheel. Without some sort of correction, the spinner will lean inwards with no way to control that.

Here’s the rubber strip trimmed and fit in the correct spot.

Easy peasy. :drinks:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here’s a couple of pics.

Notice the spinner is perpendicular to the wheel. Without some sort of correction, the spinner will lean inwards with no way to control that.

Thank you! The pictures make it much easier to understand.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here’s a couple of pics.

My oh my could you zoom in just a little more? I think I could download your finger prints on it then.:scared:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have this type of spinner on my 317s. It makes them a lot easier to steer. I’m also thinking of putting one on my 1025R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,159 Posts
Some folks like myself actually prefer the knob canted inward slightly. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some folks like myself actually prefer the knob canted inward slightly. :)
Good point. Maybe I should see how it feels before I do any trimming.

·
Administrator
20,679 Posts
My oh my could you zoom in just a little more? I think I could download your finger prints on it then.:scared:
You're sitting too close to your big screen. :lol:

·
Administrator
20,679 Posts
Good point. Maybe I should see how it feels before I do any trimming.
You can set the angle any which way you want when you trim the rubber strip. Without trimming it forces the spinner to tilt inwards.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm loving my new 1025R, but I have come to realize that I could probably benefit from a steering wheel spinner knob. Does anyone have one that you recommend? I saw this one online (TY26583), but someone said it didn't fit their 1023E, which I would think would be the same steering wheel as the 1025R. :dunno:

View attachment 707254
The spinner is a necessity. The John Deere spinner you quote doesn't fit the 1023E or the 1025R steering wheel. You can make it fit, with some creative carving, shimming and buying some longer screws, but that spinner is far from plug and play on the current John Deere SCUTS.

On my 1023E, I was able make that spinner fit, mostly, pretty much. It's a little off center and a little loose. It's a nice spinner and it does its job. Just not very well. Not the pinnacle of John Deere design engineering.

·
Registered
49 Posts

View attachment 707254
I have this exact one and it's one of the best I've used. Don't go cheap on these things. They save your arm more than you'd think. I have 2012 1023e and it works perfectly. It's universal anyways

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
746 Posts
Here’s a couple of pics.

That's the trick I used to mount that style spinner to my 1023E. I did also have to get longer screws. Can't remember if I got 1/4" or 1/2" longer screws than what came with the kit.

I also added a bit of rubber to the outside bottom of the clamp.
20190207_173339.jpg

·
Registered
347 Posts

One point to note is that your spinner knob will not be in the same "clock" position that you mount it to, ...pretty much never.

The hydraulic steering setup for the power steering makes it so the steering wheel ends up in random rotation positions all of the time. What I mean is that if you decide to mount the knob at 10 o'clock with the front wheels pointed straight ahead, after you operate the tractor for awhile, the knob can wind up anywhere in clock positions while driving straight.

Kind of a nuisance, but you just get used to it after a while.

·
Registered
746 Posts

One point to note is that your spinner knob will not be in the same "clock" position that you mount it to, ...pretty much never.

The hydraulic steering setup for the power steering makes it so the steering wheel ends up in random rotation positions all of the time. What I mean is that if you decide to mount the knob at 10 o'clock with the front wheels pointed straight ahead, after you operate the tractor for awhile, the knob can wind up anywhere in clock positions while driving straight.

Kind of a nuisance, but you just get used to it after a while.
Found that out after spending much time deliberating where I wanted the knob. Figured I'd set it up so I'd have the right hand on the joystick and positioned the spinner for the left hand. That lasted about 2 minutes into the first mowing.

·
Administrator
20,679 Posts
This is the one I use, it's actually made to fit these steering wheels and stay upright. No trimming or anything, just bolt it on.
Where'd the adapter come from? I haven't seen that before. :good2:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts