Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our County recently enacted an ordinance allowing UTVs to use county roads.

My friend with the 825i Gator wants to know what tires he can get that will last longer on the road. His current tires are stock and don't look like they will last long on the road.

Will he need different wheels? Maybe larger diameter?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,680 Posts
jd.rasentrac is your man for this question.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

My friend with the 825i Gator wants to know what tires he can get that will last longer on the road. His current tires are stock and don't look like they will last long on the road.

Does he have steel or mag wheels?

These are the ones I have been considering for my 825i with mag wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N14L1CW/?coliid=I2I2OC7L0VEUAH&colid=2C7QBUMOF04VF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QuadBoss-QBT846-27x9-14-27x11-14-ATV-UTV-DOT-Tires-Set-of-4/303116954546?hash=item46932dabb2:g:TxQAAOSwpclcpiHW&frcectupt=true

·
Registered
21,157 Posts

You lucky dog - that will never happen around here...

jd.rasentrac is your man for this question.
This - he put street tires on some time ago since he travels the roadways of Germany.

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
IIRC yellow mag wheels, I never really noticed. :hide: Are steel wheels different size?

Is 27" the stock diameter?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
IIRC yellow mag wheels, I never really noticed. :hide: Are steel wheels different size?

Is 27" the stock diameter?
Some of the steel wheel are different sizes than the mag wheels.
The tires in the links are the same size as the stock big horn tires that are on my mag wheels.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You may want to look for DOT approved tires, although I’m not certain what the county has approved?

Lots of folks have used trailer wheels for this application, you need to verify the offset, center bore diameter and lug bolt compatibility.

Also most state laws require all motor vehicles to have lights, stop/turn signals, Horn, mirror and wiper blades.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
You may want to look for DOT approved tires, although I’m not certain what the county has approved?

Lots of folks have used trailer wheels for this application, you need to verify the offset, center bore diameter and lug bolt compatibility.

Also most state laws require all motor vehicles to have lights, stop/turn signals, Horn, mirror and wiper blades.
Since you mentioned it, I’ve always wondered, what is tire offset?

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Since you mentioned it, I’ve always wondered, what is tire offset?
It is the distance between the inside face of the rim with the bolt holes where it meets the hub and the back of the rim. Going to a smaller offset (distance) will move the tire out on the vehicle which can affect caster or is it camber or both:dunno: and is harder on wheel bearings. A larger offset sucks the tire in possible causing interference with the strut or brake calipers.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Thanks, buddy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have 27" Sedona Coyote tires on 12" rims for my Can Am Commander as I do a lot of road riding. I think they are a pretty good option. They do not wonder on the road like my aggressive off road tires did. The tire has a much flatter surface than a lot of the tire offerings out there. I have seen people put Goodyear Duratracs on their SxS but the downside is they are much heavier than a dedicated UTV tire and will wear unevenly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I plan to find a copy of the ordinance. I have heard some conflicting things. I asked a Township Trustee for a copy and the copy he emailed me ended in "doc" and I could not open it. I need to check the County website.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I plan to find a copy of the ordinance. I have heard some conflicting things. I asked a Township Trustee for a copy and the copy he emailed me ended in "doc" and I could not open it. I need to check the County website.
If you need some help opening the file, send me a copy at [email protected]

I would be happy to help

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The ITP UltraCross is a popular tire for UTVs/SxSs that spend time on roads/trails/hardpack.
Still an all terrain tread but should wear evenly.

It's funny that an "aggressive" tire for a vehicle (ie dura trac) is a tame street tire on a UTV :laugh:

·
Registered
927 Posts
:hi: I mostly drive on streets here in Germany. So I use turf tires for calm smooth driving. Front tires are CST (over 730 hours in use) and rear tires are Maxxis.

·
Registered
68 Posts
"In SD you need a horn, license plate brkt/light & brake lights."

Looking into to it for my 2018 Polaris Ranger XP 1000, and In VA you need all of that, turn signals, and, insurance.

Tires must be DOT, and DMV says, you can ride on any road, that is 35 mph or less, unless a local jurisdiction posts otherwise.

Road right in front of my house is 45mph, but connects on either end (not too far) within a couple of miles to 35mph roads.

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
It is the distance between the inside face of the rim with the bolt holes where it meets the hub and the back of the rim. Going to a smaller offset (distance) will move the tire out on the vehicle which can affect caster or is it camber or both:dunno: and is harder on wheel bearings. A larger offset sucks the tire in possible causing interference with the strut or brake calipers.
Question for someone smarter. Offsets are usually in plus or minus. As I understand it Zero offset is the hub in the center of the rim. I assume (always dangerous) that a -2” offset means the center is 2” towards the back of the wheel. +2” means the center is towards the outside of the wheel. Is that correct or does it refer to the distance it moves the tire in or out from centerline which is the opposite?:dunno:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Question for someone smarter. Offsets are usually in plus or minus. As I understand it Zero offset is the hub in the center of the rim. I assume (always dangerous) that a -2” offset means the center is 2” towards the back of the wheel. +2” means the center is towards the outside of the wheel. Is that correct or does it refer to the distance it moves the tire in or out from centerline which is the opposite?:dunno:
^^ This is correct.

Positive offset with "tuck" the wheels, Negative will "space" the wheels.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts