Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My tractor has been ordered with the John Deere Oil Line BW16414 kit that has hoses and couplers that would connect to a Grappler. Apparently, the couplers on the JD kit have a 3/4" thread size. One of the Grapplers I am looking at comes with hoses that have 1/2" couplers. Since I know nothing about hydraulics on tractors, how would I resolve the difference in the 3/4" to 1/2" couplers? Is there some kind of step down or step up connector that will work to join the two different sized couplers together?

Any suggestions for this novice? Thanks,

FredSG

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
I'm not a hydraulic expert but hoses come in different sizes as do hydraulic couplers. Once you have your tractor and implement, you should be able to take your hoses to a local hydraulic shop and get them to match something up for you. As long as you are only using the implement on YOUR tractor it is quite common to change out the hoses or coupler on an implement to make it match the couplers that are on the tractor.

I wouldn't drive yourself too crazy now trying to figure out the styles and sizes of the fittings. Once you have everything just take the hoses and/or fittings to the hydraulic shop, lay everything on the counter, and say "I need THIS to fit into THAT" and they will fix you up. :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
In therory....

Yes you could plumb together a bunch of parts and build "adapters"

However you will quickly empty your wallet....Do as stated above.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Actual thread sizes don't have a correlation to listed sizes. The best way to deal with it is get the numbers off your tractor connection and ask the grapple dealer to install matching connectors prior to shipping.

A good hydraulic shop will have any adapter and coupler you might need.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Geeze, you guys are making this waaayyyy too complicated!

First, try what "Old Machinist" suggested. If Grappler supplier gives you to much grief, go to JD and buy a set of couplers that match your BW16414 kit. When grappler comes, remove couplers from hoses and save...for eternity ?? Go to box store or plumbing shop and get 3/4x1/2 reducing bushings. Screw bushings in JD couplers, attach couplers w/bushings to grapple hoses, and connect grapple...done! Bob

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
Geeze, you guys are making this waaayyyy too complicated!

First, try what "Old Machinist" suggested. If Grappler supplier gives you to much grief, go to JD and buy a set of couplers that match your BW16414 kit. When grappler comes, remove couplers from hoses and save...for eternity ?? Go to box store or plumbing shop and get 3/4x1/2 reducing bushings. Screw bushings in JD couplers, attach couplers w/bushings to grapple hoses, and connect grapple...done! Bob
That approach could work as well. Although I recommend doing all of this on a Thursday so you still have Friday to take back the fittings that didn't work and still stop at the hydraulics shop on the way home.

[speaking from experience] :)

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
That approach could work as well. Although I recommend doing all of this on a Thursday so you still have Friday to take back the fittings that didn't work and still stop at the hydraulics shop on the way home.

[speaking from experience] :)
:lolol:

x2 on taking the stuff you have to a hydraulics shop.

Been there, done that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts