Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to buy another 8 foot step ladder since I damage my fiberglass ladder. I have been reading the cons and pros about aluminum vs fiberglass. Which one would you prefer and why? I need to replace an 8 foot fiberglass ladder. I'm considering a aluminum ladder because of a foldable shelf, ligher and cheaper. None of the fiberglass ladders have the shelf. The only electrical work I may do with it is changing out light bulbs. I never owned a aluminum step or extension ladder. All of them have been fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I need to buy another 8 foot step ladder since I damage my fiberglass ladder. I have been reading the cons and pros about aluminum vs fiberglass. Which one would you prefer and why? I need to replace an 8 foot fiberglass ladder. I'm considering a aluminum ladder because of a foldable shelf, ligher and cheaper. None of the fiberglass ladders have the shelf. The only electrical work I may do with it is changing out light bulbs. I never owned a aluminum step or extension ladder. All of them have been fiberglass.
Fiberglass

Aluminum gets sloppy as all hell over the years making it dangerous oh and not an entry level one either. Get a good one. 8 feet is a lot of levering on a cheap ladder.

·
Registered
915 Posts
My ladders are a few years old, but for 8' or taller, I've never felt as stable on an aluminum step ladder as on fiberglass. I do use a 6' aluminum ladder for light work, but it moves around a lot more than my 8' and 10' orange ones. (If you went up one weight class, you might find better rigidity.) When I'm working up high though, I don't want to have to worry about my stance. Loss of the folding shelf can be an issue for painting, but for other work, my tools fit into the holes and indents in the black plastic top, as does a 1-qt paint can. I've fallen once, so my vote goes to fiberglass, despite the weight. (For extension ladders, I vote the other way since weight matters more.)

·
Old Pa-pa
11,938 Posts
Recently bought this Werner aluminum one from Lowes, lots of capabilities, easy to carry, fairly cheap, very well built.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-MT-Aluminum-18-ft-Reach-Type-1A-300-lbs-Capacity-Telescoping-Multi-Position-Ladder/50398354

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Recently bought this Werner aluminum one from Lowes, lots of capabilities, easy to carry, fairly cheap, very well built.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-MT-Aluminum-18-ft-Reach-Type-1A-300-lbs-Capacity-Telescoping-Multi-Position-Ladder/50398354
I have several of these. They are awesome but heavy as mother you know what. Still will use one of these over a standard 8' fiberglass. You can stand on both sides of the Werner. If I only need a 4' I'll take a fiberglass all day. These werner's are built to be an A-Frame or extension type ladder. Only downside is it's weight and cost. If I could only have one ladder at the house it would be the Werner.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I use fiberglass. This largely do to I work construction , and my employer along with most industrial customers do not allow aluminum ladders on the job site. I think this is do to aluminum being a conductor. Whatever the reason the safety guys only allow fiberglass ladders on the job, so they must be better.:unknown::laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
As others said, Fiberglass.
I also have one similar to what Old Cajun post. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have the exact ladder OC posted and it's a nice ladder with multiple uses. After dragging the heavy thing around the yard all day doing light work I went and bought an 8' fiberglass to replace the one I broke when I purchased the adjustable aluminum ladder. An 8' fiberglass ladder is just dang handy to have around.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I vote for fiberglass, and on mine I bought a add on shelf. I know costs more but have had it for 10 years now and going strong.

·
Premium Member
15,046 Posts
Fiberglass ,but buy one rated for at least 50# above your weight. Aluminum folding as others seem to be be cheap and a lot of them the bottom leg will bend in and down you will go. NO not me , but my older brother had 2 aluminum ladders to bend the lower part of the leg in and user went down. Thankfully user wasn't hurt , ladders are no longer on his property.:bigthumb:

The Werner folding -extension ladder would be my next ladder, but at present time no need to buy one. Yes they are heavy but you get a folding ladder plus a extension ladder for the price of folding ladder. Just need to be careful around electric with aluminum

·
Premium Member
7,917 Posts
I also vote fiberglass. When rated the same, fiberglass seem sturdier to me.
IMHO a 250lb rated fiberglass ladder takes a 300lb rated aluminum to compare.
Then the fiberglass wins the price comparison. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
591 Posts
I use fiberglass. This largely do to I work construction , and my employer along with most industrial customers do not allow aluminum ladders on the job site. I think this is do to aluminum being a conductor. Whatever the reason the safety guys only allow fiberglass ladders on the job, so they must be better.:unknown::laugh:
That's the reason. They also don't allow wooden ones any more.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
My vote would be for fiberglass. Avoid the fiberglass cheapies at the big box store. Most of my ladders are Bauer and I've had them for over 20 years and they're still nice and snug. I also have a Green Bull, in an 8', and no complaints with it. I believe Werner acquired Green Bull. The only Werner I have is a 30' fiberglass extension ladder. No complaints with it, other then it is all one man can handle.

Hands, down, when I buy ladders, Bauer is my first choice.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I have one of the quad fold style aluminum ladders that can be 16 ft straight, 8 ft regular, or configured into scaffolding, etc. I want to say it's going on almost 20 years old now and it's still in great shape.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,938 Posts
I have the exact ladder OC posted and it's a nice ladder with multiple uses. After dragging the heavy thing around the yard all day doing light work I went and bought an 8' fiberglass to replace the one I broke when I purchased the adjustable aluminum ladder. An 8' fiberglass ladder is just dang handy to have around.
I don't find it that heavy, honestly.
The one that extends up to 22' however is over my limit on what I want to carry around, the reason I didn't get it.
Think it was $50 - $60 more to boot.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
As the son of an electrician, I say fiberglass. They seem to stand up better, as well as being an insulator vs. conductor.

Also, get one with steps on both sides.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Being of sound mind and large body (420lbs) I only own fiberglass rated at 250lbs. I never go past the third or fourth step. I have a 10ft ceiling in my garage and changing florescent light is about the highest I go. I can get on my house roof over the pump house the edge is only 6ft high.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Did anyone mention fiberglass ladders yet?

I like fiberglass, and I have two wood ladders,,
my two daughters steal the fiberglass ones ALL the time,,
they have never touched the wood ladders.

If they would take the wood ladders, I would not have to go retrieve the ladders!!:laugh:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts