Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have a good online source for Sthil parts?

And...I can't just look up parts by model number? I have to take the thing apart to see what model carb is on it? I had my Sthil dealer rebuild a carb and it is acting up again. They won't charge me for the repairs if it is their fault, but it will cost me $35 for them to look at it, no matter what the cause.

Anyway, just looking for a good online source for parts.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,902 Posts
I was told it was cheaper to replace carb than to rebuilt.
I'm thinking a dealer told me Stihl wasn't going to offer rebuild kits on the smaller engines.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,822 Posts
Along the lines of what etcallhome posted. We had carburetor issues with our Yard Boss this past Spring. I dropped it off at our JD Dealer and told them what I thought the problem was. I also told them, if they agree that it is the carburetor, to just replace it. I think they charged me $55.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Stihl is stingy with their parts and equipment parts lists / breakdowns. I'm afraid you will not have much better luck than going through your local dealer.

·
Administrator
18,312 Posts
Stihl is stingy with their parts and equipment parts lists / breakdowns. I'm afraid you will not have much better luck than going through your local dealer.
Rather than being "stingy", it's more that they want to protect their brick&morter dealers and not have companies undercutting them online, at least that's how I see it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get it, but I hate paying $35 service fee + the cost of a part for an air filter. That's what they told me today. Seems like highway robbery to me. Brick and mortar stores be dammed. I paid $700 for this thing. Now I'm told that I have to pay a service fee just to buy a consumable part? I've had it in once and if I pay another service fee I'm already at 10% of the purchase price in fees, plus parts in two years. This is not a financially sustainable piece of equipment. I'm done with "supporting" my local stores when this is how I get treated.

I'm never buying another piece of Sthil equipment at this point.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Something seems shady about that $35 service fee. Can you try a different dealer?

·
Administrator
20,886 Posts
Let me get this right. It costs you $35 for the ability to purchase parts, or are they doing an inspection or service for the $35?

If they are charging you to just be able to order parts, you need a new dealer. Period.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Rather than being "stingy", it's more that they want to protect their brick&morter dealers and not have companies undercutting them online, at least that's how I see it.
If it was Stihl only selling their parts to / through brick and mortar dealers I could live with that but to not release the parts break downs / exploded views moves them into the stingy category for me.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Try this website. Stihl Manuals Online I don't know your model number and they don't have all of the models but, you might get lucky. Once you know the part number it is just a matter of doing a search.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hmm well that sucks. One of my winter projects is to replace the carb on my FS56 weed wacker. Took it to the local "dealer" and they sat on for 3 weeks. I had even told them I just wanted a quick estimate done on it so I knew whether it was worth fixing or needed replacing(sales opportunity right there). Guy said no problem, we can look at this week. I went out of town and then checked when I cam back, still sitting there untouched so I took it home. Season was over by this time anyway.

Anyway I figured it would be easy to find parts and breakdowns for but after I read your post I see you are right, not much info out there.

Incidentally I had the same problem with our LG dishwasher last week. Stopped working so I tore it apart and found the impeller in the pump seized due to water deposits(we have really hard well water). So I called the LG customer service line, pressed 2 for parts and waited..... someone picked up eventually and asked what the issue was. I explained and said I needed a new pump assembly. They then tried to book and service person to come out. I explained that I already had it out and just wanted the part and thats when they told me I couldn't order parts for my dishwasher, only a service rep can do that. I again told the guy that I already had it out and what was the service guy supposed to do? Look at all the parts on the kitchen floor and say "yep you need a pump assembly" and then charge me for ordering one? I even asked why they had a parts option when you call in and he couldn't answer that. All he could do was book a "technician" to come out. Fortunately I found the part online but I think I've bought my first and last LG product.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Bubber, I may be missing some thing but the $35.00 looks like a estimate fee to me. Most places that I have taken equipment to have some type of fee. If they give you a repair estimate and you ok it the fee is included, if not you have to pay the estimate fee.

Doug

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Try this website. Stihl Manuals Online I don't know your model number and they don't have all of the models but, you might get lucky. Once you know the part number it is just a matter of doing a search.
Thanks, I'm going to check that out.

Bubber, I may be missing some thing but the $35.00 looks like a estimate fee to me. Most places that I have taken equipment to have some type of fee. If they give you a repair estimate and you ok it the fee is included, if not you have to pay the estimate fee.

Doug
Yup, it is an diagnostic fee. Thing is, if I walk in and ask for an air filter without carrying my machine, it still costs me $35. If the parts aren't on the hooks in the showroom, it requires a diag fee.

I have a new dealer now. I don't have this problem any more. It is just a longer drive.

·
584 Posts
Be sure to use 93 octane gas. Ethanol is reeking havoc on small engine carbs. I would say 70% of stihl equipment that comes into our shop is carb related. Also use the ultra mix. This makes a huge difference in carb issues.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Be sure to use 93 octane gas. Ethanol is reeking havoc on small engine carbs. I would say 70% of stihl equipment that comes into our shop is carb related. Also use the ultra mix. This makes a huge difference in carb issues.
I use the ultra oil and 90 octane ethanol free gas. In my area all grades of gas, unless otherwise stated, have ethanol in them. I drive 20 minutes to get ethanol free gas for my 2 cycle engines.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Problem is that at MOST stations the 93 still has ETOH in it....sometimes at a higher percentage than the 87. ETOH is higher octane than gas, blending in the 10-15% that's allowed bumps up the octane of the resulting fuel, so some places use a higher blend to get their premium up to 'premium' octane.

Only way to remedy that is to buy E0 fuel

·
584 Posts
I understand that fully. I've went as far as testing the ethanol with help from rep and the ethanol percentage was as high as 40% at some stations. If you can find ethanol free, go that route for sure. The problem is, some stations are a drive. If all you can do is get standard gas, 93 is still better than the 87. We see less trouble over time after customers make the switch. Ultra mix is the most important factor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts