Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife asked me why I didn't just go ahead and get a snowblower for one of our tractors (790 & 3005). I thought Great I'll get right on it. Since that started I have more questions than answers and duct tape wrapped around my head to contain the explosion. First I went to the JD site and looked at what was compatible with my machines. Bingo a nice 59" front mount blower. I also got looking at rear (3 pt) mount blowers. When I called the dealer the front mount 59 incher with brackets and drive shaft etc was right at $6k. plus we'd have a shipping charge. Ouch. Even used in the lower 48 they run $4k.
I began to look at options and think I have found a solution but it's not perfect. I have neck problems so a rear mount was not my first choice but If I get one of the hard top canopy's for my 790/3005 and mount one of the back-up cameras from Northern tool catalogue I can put the display up under the front of the hard canopy and just look up when I want to see where I'm backing. Being warm in a canopy with a way to see backwards without driving around looking over my shoulder my be workable.
I talked to the folks at Wood Max and their 60" blower should be perfect. They'll ship it free to my folks in OR so it gives me an excuse to drive down and visit (plus pick up my blower and cab). I can get the hard cab, camera set up, and Wood max blower for right at $3,100.
Are there many other options out there that are decent on the pocket book?

·
Administrator
18,520 Posts
You pretty much nailed it, rear blowers are 50% or more what front one's cost.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
You pretty much nailed it, rear blowers are 50% or more what front one's cost.
Hard to believe JD can jack folks that high for the simple front frame/brackets to lift a snowblower. I was shocked as well pricing out a front blower when I was doing the 1026 deal... and I already had most of the front business needed with the plow I did buy. Also there plenty of competition out there for rear 3pt blowers and none (that I know of) for front ones.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My wife asked me why I didn't just go ahead and get a snowblower for one of our tractors (790 & 3005). I thought Great I'll get right on it. Since that started I have more questions than answers and duct tape wrapped around my head to contain the explosion. First I went to the JD site and looked at what was compatible with my machines. Bingo a nice 59" front mount blower. I also got looking at rear (3 pt) mount blowers. When I called the dealer the front mount 59 incher with brackets and drive shaft etc was right at $6k. plus we'd have a shipping charge. Ouch. Even used in the lower 48 they run $4k.
I began to look at options and think I have found a solution but it's not perfect. I have neck problems so a rear mount was not my first choice but If I get one of the hard top canopy's for my 790/3005 and mount one of the back-up cameras from Northern tool catalogue I can put the display up under the front of the hard canopy and just look up when I want to see where I'm backing. Being warm in a canopy with a way to see backwards without driving around looking over my shoulder my be workable.
I talked to the folks at Wood Max and their 60" blower should be perfect. They'll ship it free to my folks in OR so it gives me an excuse to drive down and visit (plus pick up my blower and cab). I can get the hard cab, camera set up, and Wood max blower for right at $3,100.
Are there many other options out there that are decent on the pocket book?
Did you check the prices at Mutton?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I know in the 1026R's case a good chunk of change is in the brackets and drives. Today I ordered the blade and it wasn't bad, but to make it hang and work on the 1026R it doubles the cost. The nice thing is the setup works on other front mount stuff I may want later. Still it's a kick in the teeth to get going..

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New find

I found this cruising the web. It is a front mount snowblower unit built specifically for CUT's.
Sheyenne Tooling & Manufacturing

Has anyone seen these or know anything about them? It looks like a nice unit. I guess price will be the driving factor like everything else.

·
Administrator
18,520 Posts
I found this cruising the web. It is a front mount snowblower unit built specifically for CUT's.
Sheyenne Tooling & Manufacturing

Has anyone seen these or know anything about them? It looks like a nice unit. I guess price will be the driving factor like everything else.

Never seen even or heard of them. I see they are driven from a PTO pump and must have the tank on the blower as opposed to the rear like others I've seen so you'll still need some rear ballast.

My guess: 8K+ price tag.

Edit: I just looked some more, they are not using a regular PTO pump but rather a standard pump with a step up gear box. Looks to also need a case drain as well. They also added a cushion valve for good measure.

My new guess: 10K price tag.

·
Premium Member
15,064 Posts
That is different ,,,one problem using it in a 24 +++ inch of snow and pulling it with Series 1 tractor. Not saying it wouldn't be able to but...

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
206 Posts
I feel your pain, and of course where you are, the blower is the option you want... but I thought I'd share, I just got quoted $4100 for a hydro angled AF11E plow for my 3005 (installed), I'd have to look but $2700ish I think without the hydro angle. Sounds like a lotta dough for an additional SCV, and cylinder, but Ok.

The pull forward rear blower wouldn't work well in deeper snow.

What I don't understand is why I can get an installed plow kit for my truck for cheaper than I get for the tractor.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What I don't understand is why I can get an installed plow kit for my truck for cheaper than I get for the tractor.
I run into the same thing with dirtbikes. New muffler for the bike is $500, when you can get a complete cat-back exhaust for a car for that price, which is way more material.

In that case, it has to do with volume produced. The bike exhaust is produced on a much smaller scale so it costs more to build and hence sells for more. At least that is part of it.

Not sure if it is the same here, but I would think it could be. There are a lot of F150s, Silverados, Rams, and Tundras out there. And a lot of those have plows.

·
Registered
206 Posts
yeah I get the supply/demand thing... but geesh really?
I'll throw another note out there on that same topic.... You can buy a used "plow truck" for less than a new plow. Granted it'll be beat to death... but I found whole, current inspection, working plow trucks with plows (long in the tooth for sure) for less than the cost of a new plow for the same truck.

Wife goes... OK, ATV bites the dust, or isn't up to the removal, we buy a plow truck, and never insure or register it, and keep it on the property to clear the drive/road. POOF farm truck...
If the truck is also good enough to inspect, and insure, we have an alternate "tow vehicle" as well.

I can't really fault her thinking.

Reactions: HydroHarold
1 - 13 of 13 Posts