Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Since I am working on the 955 with another issue, I noticed this thread from a while back. We (my machinist neighbor and I ) did finally decide that the hydraulic oil level was low...I must say that trying to check the hydraulic oil on that shiny aluminum dipstick is a simple fools exercise. I am seriously considering putting some flat black paint on the dipstick...we must have checked that thing at least a dozen times and really had no idea the actual oil level. We kept adding hydraulic oil( more than a quart) and the level eventually was enough to re-activate the rockshaft, which was being hydraulic oil starved by the wood splitter. SO my take-away from this exercise is that if your rockshaft suddenly acts like it has no hydraulic oil...maybe it it actually doesn't! But don't try to determine that information from the dipstick!
I think JD sells a red dye that you can add to your hydraulic oil to make it more visible.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.