Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Deere Dealer today to buy some anti-freeze and I almost walked out without it. :tongue: So many things to look at.

I was looking at new trimmer heads and items for my FS90 line trimmer and I remembered I needed more line. So I was looking at the choices and I seem the larger premum line. It looks and feels significantly stronger than the normal line. I fear it will cut through tree bark.

Anyone else using it? It was the same cost as the normal stuff, you just got 15 less feet (235 feet for $13.00).

Also note my John Deere bag was made in the USA!

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,464 Posts
Will it fit? My FS110 uses the orange .090 line. I don't think that the .105 will fit.:unknown:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Thats only .010 bigger than the orange regular stuff.

The stuff that scares me is the square and x shaped stuff. That looks agressive.

I know they have the stuff in commercial grade too. Anyone know the difference between premium and commercial?

·
Administrator
20,464 Posts
I hate to point this out Rich, but .105 - .090 = .015:mocking:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer told me they only make one head for the larger trimmers so it will fit.

They had the X stuff there also, but it was not as stiff or seem as durable as the premium. I did not see a commercial grade?

The new .095 stuff is twisted and looks to be pretty stout stuff. They did not have replacement of that on the shelf yet or I probably would have tried it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I heard the X line is the way to go. I have had several string trimmers over the years and I always end up taking the string heads off and trying every blade contraption known to man. My problem is the line always melts to itself and then the string trimmer becomes a manual feed string trimmer and I feel like smashing the entire trimmer off a stone wall. :laugh:
What trimmer line will prevent my frustration? My current trimmer is a Stihl, with the string nicely melted in the head. :mad:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Stihl line. It is a few years old because every now and then I'll put new line on the trimmer head and run it for a few minutes until it melts just to remind me of why I hate using it. Then I have to take the head off before I smash the thing. It does make me laugh when I think about it because it is so simple, yet for some reason I cannot grasp some portion of the rewinding or method of use. It is my nemesis. Since I was a young kid I could never get a string trimmer to work. That, and old Briggs engines. They hate me. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Along these same lines(pun intended) of thought. I was watching a youtube video the other day, and it was a cemetary grounds keeper giving tips. (I know....I was in the WTF zone of youtube aka no mans land) He said that leaving the string in water until your ready to use it,will more than double the life of the line. It evidently dries out and become more brittle....and it wont melt together after soaking . BTW, he uses a Stihl 4 mix with stihl line and has 23 acres full of headstones he trims around.....alot of practice for alot of years. I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
That does it. I'll purchase a new spool of Stihl string, soak it in some water, and give it a try. I will certainly post back my results. It may be a bit though because if it works I'm going to have a few cold ones and won't be thinking about typing. :lol:

·
Administrator
20,464 Posts
:munch::munch::munch: Soak plastic trimmer line in water?:munch::munch::munch:Interesting...

Can't wait for the results.

·
Corndog Hater
11,464 Posts
Within the last couple weeks I bought a new Ryobi Gas Trimmer. It came with the .095 twisted line. I was surprised to see it mar up the PT 4x4 posts on our deck and the cedar posts on the kids play set! Its a bit more aggressive than the .080 x line that was on my old trimmer, I guess, as I never had an issue with that. The new trimmer does a great job, so I will just be careful next time. :good2:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Within the last couple weeks I bought a new Ryobi Gas Trimmer. It came with the .095 twisted line. I was surprised to see it mar up the PT 4x4 posts on our deck and the cedar posts on the kids play set! Its a bit more aggressive than the .080 x line that was on my old trimmer, I guess, as I never had an issue with that. The new trimmer does a great job, so I will just be careful next time. :good2:
The .095 Stihl stuff went right through my barn siding....... You don't mess around with this new line.

I will spool up this new line this weekend and test it out in the field and let you guys know.

Do you want me to soak it in water tonight or not? :lol:

·
Corndog Hater
11,464 Posts
The .095 Stihl stuff went right through my barn siding....... You don't mess around with this new line.

I will spool up this new line this weekend and test it out in the field and let you guys know.

Do you want me to soak it in water tonight or not? :lol:
To soak or not to soak, that is a good question?

As for the barn siding...holy cow!

Not to hi-jack, but does anyone use the pre-cut pieces of line, my trimmer came with 2 heads, 1 to spool, and 1 for the pre cut. I have never used the pre-cut and was just wondering?.......thanks

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I want my trimmer line to be healthy, so I'll skip the tap water and soak mine in extra virgin olive oil instead.:laugh: Very tasty too.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I had a few and put the line on the trimmer tonight. I skipped the water. I was able to put 12 feet of line on each spool without crowding the line at all. I think the thicker line makes more of a wind noise, but it could just be me. The is no fitment issues. When removing my other line I noticed I had the twisted line on it previously. So, I have 200 feet of this left. I am willing to ship out some to a few people to try if they will post opinions. No charge.

I used it in a small area and cut some serious weed and the line did not even look used. Granted it was not much, but it was thick stuff.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts