Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on cleaning up and winterizing 2 stihl 4 mix weed eaters for a local lawn mowing company. The owner wants me to drain out all the gas/oil mix and run the engines out of fuel. Is it safe to do that on these models. I know you would not want to do it at a high rpm.

I would rather use a good stabilizer, but I understand they do not work as well with mixed fuel?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I try to run a premium mix that contains a stabilizer. Ive used products from both Echo and Husqvarna depending on what was available at the time. Then store full.

I agree with you though, i have issues running the fuel out of a 2 stroke as you ultimately also run it dry without lubrication. Curious to see what others are doing.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I would rather use a good stabilizer, but I understand they do not work as well with mixed fuel?
This one would be news to me. Can you support this claim? I have been using Stabil in all my engines, 2 or 4 stroke for years.

·
Registered
430 Posts
For the weedeaters and aluminum engines in general I use the marine Stabil. Cost a little more but works well. I leave some fuel in the tank after making sure this mix runs through the motor. In the spring I dump the fuel and refill with fresh gas before trying to start. We are only talking a few ounces here.

This is for the blowers, string trimmers and outboard.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Sorry to be the stinker on this one, but I have a Stihl 270 (i think) Chainsaw, and a 110 multi-system head. I bought them both in summer 2007, and have never winterized them - no stabilizer, no draining. They've been fantastic on the spring start up - prime 'em, pull 'em (a few times), and go.....

-Jer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a Stihl 361 saw and I do nothing to it but try to run it a few times in the winter. I ussually have a tree to trim or cut so its no big deal. But I am with Jer, use quality gas and do not worry about it.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
But I am with Jer, use quality gas and do not worry about it.
This works great until it doesn't. You're flirting with the odds. How do you really know the quality of your gas? Good luck, it is all a matter of the risk you are willing to take.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.