Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of Stihl posts on this forum, but no dedicated Stihl thread (like the ones for Milwaukee and Dewalt). SO -- here's a dedicated discussion for all things Stihl!
__

Starting it off:

Stihl recently announced a bigger battery -- the AP500S.
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/batteries-chargers/batteries/ap500s/
WEIGHT4.2 lbs.
BATTERY ENERGY CONTENT337 Wh
BATTERY CAPACITY9.4 Ah
RATED VOLTAGE36 volt
BATTERY SYSTEMAP

·
Administrator
22,447 Posts
I love my Stihl equipment. I changed the spark plug in my FS110 that I bought almost 20 years ago because I felt guilty. I haven’t really done much to that machine but feed it good fuel and more line. I’ve used (and yes, even abused it while trimming tree branches) and it still goes like the day I bought it. I should add a chainsaw to my collection, but I just don’t need one all that often.

I have a handheld blower, backpack blower, hedge trimmer, a backpack sprayer, and now 2 FS series trimmers. Love each one of them. 👍🏼

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I have the Kombi system with the electric power head with the "power scythe" and the blower, as well as the electric chainsaw that uses the same battery systems. Good stuff!

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I have an old FS85 string trimmer, it is 25 years old and still runs fine. Had to replace fuel line and primer bulb, thats it.
I have a lot of other Stihl products now. I am a fan, it is good stuff.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Love my Stihl stuff. Got an 036 with a 20 in bar from 1993. Great saw. Always starts easy. The only thing I've had to do it was replace the recoil. Also have a BG 56 series blower & have had different trimmers over time. Currently have a FS 40C with the poly cut blades.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've seen a lot of Stihl posts on this forum, but no dedicated Stihl thread (like the ones for Milwaukee and Dewalt). SO -- here's a dedicated discussion for all things Stihl!
__

Starting it off:

Stihl recently announced a bigger battery -- the AP500S.
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/batteries-chargers/batteries/ap500s/
WEIGHT4.2 lbs.
BATTERY ENERGY CONTENT337 Wh
BATTERY CAPACITY9.4 Ah
RATED VOLTAGE36 volt
BATTERY SYSTEMAP
I have an MS251 Wood Boss (like) and a GTA26 (love). I plan on buying a battery powered pole saw for tree trimming sometime in the next year.

The Wood Boss I messed up as it was my first chainsaw and I didn't realize that I need bar oil so I melted some of the plastic. I haven't taken a level to it yet but I'm pretty sure the plastic has warped enough that the bar isn't vertically level anymore. All I know is that my rounds are never "flat" when I hold the saw what I think is level. I think I could replace the plastic tensioning nut and "fix" the issue but I haven't figured out how to order one yet. It works pretty well though.

I need to service the saw (mostly clean it) and adjust the idle though as the chain moves after a cold start if I release the chain brake without revving the engine. After a rev, or a warm start, the chain doesn't move until I give it throttle. I suspect that either the air filter is dirty (most likely) or that the idle has gotten out of whack.

The AP500S looks nice but I'm frustrated as it's supposed to go with the MSA300 which hasn't reached the US yet (it might not even be released). Sure, other battery saws could benefit but the MSA300 will accept a 20" or 24" (according to a few sites) bar which is larger than any other battery powered saw I'm aware of. I've found that the 18" bar on my Wood Boss just isn't enough for what I need on my property but I don't want to buy another gas saw if I can help it. Mainly because I'm working on whittling down the small engines I need to maintain.

Granted, the list price of the MSA300 is speculated to be $1K just for the saw itself so I could probably buy several saws instead.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,909 Posts
I have an old FS85 string trimmer, it is 25 years old and still runs fine. Had to replace fuel line and primer bulb, thats it.
As you probably already know my FS85 is going on 20 years and still runs good and I'll post this again for others.
↓↓↓
Couple years ago I thought our 2003 FS 85 was getting tired. I've done a BOATLOAD of weed whacking and brush cutting with it and figured it's about time. Boy was I wrong.
The throttle cable was stretched pretty good. Thanks to this guy I'm back in business. I'm impressed.
Note: @flyweight won't be able to do this, you can't hold a beer and do it.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I own several Stihl equipment (chain saw, blowers, brush cutter, and Kombi unit). For the Kombi unit I have the power scythe, string trimmer, edger, and blower attachments. My only complaint with the Kombi unit is no "bicycle" handle control available. I use the power scythe for cutting large areas of overgrown grass/weeks. I prefer the scythe to the string trimmer for cutting.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Stihl here also. Chains saws I have MS170, 290, 064. Have the Kombi with string trimmer, blower and power paddles. Never had a problem with any of them and always use Non-Ethanol fuel in them.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
I need to service the saw (mostly clean it) and adjust the idle though as the chain moves after a cold start if I release the chain brake without revving the engine. After a rev, or a warm start, the chain doesn't move until I give it throttle. I suspect that either the air filter is dirty (most likely) or that the idle has gotten out of whack.
I've got the same saw and this is normal. 👍 - Mine has done this since it was new. But cleaning it isn't going to hurt it.

·
Premium Member
20,173 Posts
Bought a FS110 weedeater , 14 yrs ago.. runs like a top. thanks to Keith ..

Battery self propelled mower 2 yrs old, and blower of course both take a different size battery. But both are great (y) (y) (y) Sorry can't remember the model #.of each of them .

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,909 Posts
Bought a FS110 weedeater , 14 yrs ago.. runs like a top.
The quality of Stihl is like a breath of fresh air when it comes to longevity. I think my old FS80 lasted 20+ years

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have an 1995 026 saw that still runs flawlessly and a BG 56 blower. My string trimmer is a commercial Echo and is awesome. I have seriously considered battery power but can't justify the switch. Now my push mower I use for trimming, the deck is bad is needing replaced for next year( I mow about an acre & half(rider) and my trimming takes about 20 minutes) Ive looked at battery but can't pull the trigger. To hesitant on reliability vs gas mower. We built our house in 1996 and I've only had 2 push mowers.( I try to buy quality)first was a Honda and currently a Troy-Bilt.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive looked at battery but can't pull the trigger. To hesitant on reliability vs gas mower. We built our house in 1996 and I've only had 2 push mowers.
If you're buying a new mower anyway, battery powered is definitely worth a look. Capabilities improve every year. Also, if you already have batteries, the mower alone might be cheaper than gas models.

I've been using an RMA 510 (not self-propelled) mower for a year. The mower and AP300S battery were about $250 each. I added it to my equipment list on a whim so I didn't have to mix fuel and replace starter cords. I'm very glad I did. A big plus is the simplicity of starting and stopping (to hand weed, move obstacles, talk with neighbors, etc.) It's very quiet and has at least as much power as my old Toro. The battery lasts well over 30 minutes for routine cutting. An onboard caddy holds a spare. There's not really much to go wrong -- it's basically a battery, switch, and motor.

I have had both a switch failure and motor failure on my trimmers (each fixed under the 3-year warranty) but the mower doesn't need such tiny components and I expect it to me more reliable. Neighbors appreciate the quiet operation. As I mentioned, this was the one item I questioned the need for. I no longer have doubts.

Finally, if you've never tried out any current generation battery powered outdoor equipment, ask a neighbor to let you test theirs. All of my Stihl battery tools outperform the gas models they replaced. (I don't store the batteries in my shed or garage where it gets really hot, though.)

·
Premium Member
20,173 Posts
Bought a FS110 weedeater , 14 yrs ago.. runs like a top. thanks to Keith ..

Battery self propelled mower 2 yrs old, and blower of course both take a different size battery. But both are great (y) (y) (y) Sorry can't remember the model #.of each of them .
Just checked ,, we have a BGA56 blower Great
and
RMA510v self propelled mower.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Interesting, my research said that the chain shouldn't move until throttle was applied. I'll clean it and see what happens though.
It's a "high idle" that while under choke/half choke it spins fast enough to engage the clutch. After the "first REV" which turns off the half/full choke, it'll idle normally. If once warm it runs and idles well, and starts easy, when both cold and warm, I wouldn't touch it. 👍

·
Registered
246 Posts
List of stihl products I have
HT101 pole saw
BG86C blower
BR600 back pack blower
BGA57 battery blower
RMA510V mower with AP300 battery
KM130R combi system
string trimmer attachment
brush cutter attachment
hedge trimmer attachment
power scythe attachment
MSA220 chain saw with AP300 battery
MS261 chain saw
MS500i chain saw
MS661C chain saw

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
I have an MS251 Wood Boss (like) and a GTA26 (love). I plan on buying a battery powered pole saw for tree trimming sometime in the next year.

The Wood Boss I messed up as it was my first chainsaw and I didn't realize that I need bar oil so I melted some of the plastic. I haven't taken a level to it yet but I'm pretty sure the plastic has warped enough that the bar isn't vertically level anymore. All I know is that my rounds are never "flat" when I hold the saw what I think is level. I think I could replace the plastic tensioning nut and "fix" the issue but I haven't figured out how to order one yet. It works pretty well though.

The AP500S looks nice but I'm frustrated as it's supposed to go with the MSA300 which hasn't reached the US yet (it might not even be released). Sure, other battery saws could benefit but the MSA300 will accept a 20" or 24" (according to a few sites) bar which is larger than any other battery powered saw I'm aware of. I've found that the 18" bar on my Wood Boss just isn't enough for what I need on my property but I don't want to buy another gas saw if I can help it. Mainly because I'm working on whittling down the small engines I need to maintain.

Granted, the list price of the MSA300 is speculated to be $1K just for the saw itself so I could probably buy several saws instead.
Possibly the Wood Boss isn't cutting straight because the chain isn't sharpened the same on both sides. It's easy to sharpen one side more than the other and then the saw will cut in a curve. Easy fix- either resharpen to spec or try a new chain. If you ran a chain without oil, it may have heated the bar enough to not be flat and/or taken the temper out of the rails and then it wore more on one side than the other.

I don't think Stihl sells direct- you will need to go through a dealer. If you have a local dealer, try them but Northern Tool also sells Stihl. Nothing beats an experienced eye looking at a saw though and you can take your saw to a local dealer and probably they will spot an issue in a few minutes.

Reactions: Kbar and etcallhome
1 - 20 of 38 Posts