Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many of us talk about string trimmers, blowers and brush cutters that we wanted to do review of a system that offers you the most versatile system available. The Stihl KombiSystem has been around for a while and is really catching on in residential and commercial applications. The amount of attachments are growing and its capabilities are endless as everyone has something they can do to make this system work for their specific needs.

If you have not seen this system, here is a link to it on Stihl's Website. Yard Care - STIHL KombiSystem and the STIHL YARD BOSS® Multi Task Tools | STIHL USA Mobile

I enlisted John from Workshop Addict to help out with this review as we have different applications that we can both use this system for. We will go more in depth on the attachments and continue to add more videos to this thread.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Nice video, Brian. I have been contemplating the Kombi system for a while. Maybe this will help me pull the trigger on one and some attachments.

·
Administrator
18,008 Posts
Very impressive (getting John to do all the work that is!):laugh:

That's a cool system, I wish I had bought into it years ago myself.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
When I bought this house 17 years ago my buddy gave me a Ryobi 715 convertable string trimmer. I bought the tiller/cultivator. 14 years later I thought it was time to give that great tool a rest and upgrade to the Kombi KM110, straight trimmer, edger, brush saw, hedge trimmer, pole saw and one extension. I thought the Kombi 2 tine cultivator was a bit... wimpy looking in comparuison so the Ryobi with it's 4 tines still has that attached and works perfectly.

As with all my Stihl stuff it never fails to start inside 2-3 pulls and I've not yet run into the need for the larger size engine with my jobs. I'd thought about that blower attachment, but I have a Stihl BG85 hand held and it makes any other blower here unnecessary. I'm a Stihl fan right along with Deere products and my dealer sells both. Handy!

BTW, that pole saw is NO TOY! It is a true chainsaw on a stick and really handy. However, reaching out horizontally maintaining my juniper bushes is a real workout! Especially using the pole extension! I guess I must be getting old...:laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
My first split boom trimmer was a Ryobi...that POS lasted two seasons before I threw it away because getting and keeping the motor started and running was next to impossible right from the get go.

My second one was a JD (Echo?) and I got 9-years of use out of it before the motor finally gave me problems.

My third and current one is an Echo, and I may look into the power broom for it. I had the mini cultivator for the Deere and I was surprised at how well it worked. Although the tube sizes are similar, the Deere attachments wouldn't fit the Echo. GRRR! I gave the Deere attachments to a buddy and he says they fit his ancient McCollough.

Maybe the next one will be a Stihl, which I hope won't be for a long time. As a homeowner, I'm sold on the split boom units because of the attachments.​

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Works just like mine!:laugh: However, I cheat and use the line trimmer for cleanup because I don't have the broom... yet!

I just finished brushing out a hemlock/maple thicket with the trimmer saw, another Kombi success!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Brian,

Awesome review, and TIMELY!!!

I have been thinking of picking the edger up, only not for edging. We just got a new puppy (as I mentioned in another thread) and I want to put in an invisible fence. A friend put one in and said it was a giant PITA digging the trench with a shovel, so I was thinking of using the edger. We are probably going to put in 1000' of wire, so I do not relish the thought of doing it by hand. So do you think the edger would work good for this project?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I bet a subsoiler would...:mocking:
The thought crossed my mind. :lol: I'm sure it would have no problem trenching the blacktop driveway. :laugh:

If it wasn't for the fact I only need a 1/4" trench 2" deep I would do it!

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brian,

Awesome review, and TIMELY!!!

I have been thinking of picking the edger up, only not for edging. We just got a new puppy (as I mentioned in another thread) and I want to put in an invisible fence. A friend put one in and said it was a giant PITA digging the trench with a shovel, so I was thinking of using the edger. We are probably going to put in 1000' of wire, so I do not relish the thought of doing it by hand. So do you think the edger would work good for this project?
The edger might work for it. Is the goal to slice a thin line and not have to re-seed?

We have the bed redefiner also, and IMHO, while you would have to plant grass, it would work better. The bed redefiner makes a trench and puts all the soil to one side. It would allow you to place the wire in and pull back over the soil. This would let your dog see the boundary better and also allow easier burial of the wire.

But you could sit and push the wire into the lawn edgers cut, but its not that thick and rocks would cause issue.

Do you want to borrow it from me to try?

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
How deep will that thing go?

Wondering if that would be a good way to trench low voltage lighting in with.

Doesnt have to be too deep and looks easier than parting it with a spade.

·
Registered
99 Posts
How's the Scythe? I was thinking of getting one - seems like it would be nice to trim brush / jaggers that grow inbetween the trees without throwing it around.

I currently have the stihl saw and straight hedge trimmer - Both of them are awesome - I choose the straight trimmer because my hedges are not high and it is a little shorter to make it easier to handle. The saw is great - I use to to trim branches and also cut up small branches for the fire pit.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The edger might work for it. Is the goal to slice a thin line and not have to re-seed?

We have the bed redefiner also, and IMHO, while you would have to plant grass, it would work better. The bed redefiner makes a trench and puts all the soil to one side. It would allow you to place the wire in and pull back over the soil. This would let your dog see the boundary better and also allow easier burial of the wire.

But you could sit and push the wire into the lawn edgers cut, but its not that thick and rocks would cause issue.

Do you want to borrow it from me to try?
I looked a the bed redefiner as well. The wire is only a single strand of about 12 ga., so it is only 1/8" thick. The invisible fence directions state the wire could just lay on the ground, but they say to bury it so you don't tear it up while mowing or just having things get caught in it. The maximum depth to bury it is only 3", so as long as I find a way to make a slice deep enough to get the wire under the grass, I'd be fine. The redefiner looked like it might involve some backfilling to fill the trench, and the less work I have to do the better.

You get a million little red flags (like to mark underground gas lines), so you're supposed to put them along the wire so the dog gets a visual definition of the boundary, and once he starts associating the shock with it then you can remove the flags.

A few friends have the invisible fences and say they work good.

If you were closer I'd definitely drive over and borrow the edger. Are you planning any trips to the east coast in the next few weeks? :lol: As it is I think the edger is only around $100, so I'm not sure it would be worth shipping it all over the country. Of course if you have friends at UPS or FedEx, that changes things. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts