Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the JD dealer today and they told me the KombiSystem is not designed for brush cutting. The metal blade is for grass and thicker weeds. I would have to get a solid shift trimmer for brush clearing. Now my question is, Do the people with the Kombi, cut brush w/ the metal blade?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Was at the JD dealer today and they told me the KombiSystem is not designed for brush cutting. The metal blade is for grass and thicker weeds. I would have to get a solid shift trimmer for brush clearing. Now my question is, Do the people with the Kombi, cut brush w/ the metal blade?
It cuts brush like there is no tomorrow. I've never heard that the Kombi is not suitable for brush cutting. I don't think I would go hammering away at 2" brush for 3 hours or something down that line, but It does a nice job at woody stuff in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch range.
There are several different metal blades for different purposes.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I have the brush blade for mine and I will be doing a review soon. The reason that certain blades are not "approved" for the KombiSystem is because from a safety standpoint Stihl requires that you use a cutter with bike handlebars.

I have a FS90 and an FS130 that both have the bike style handle bars and they give you much more control of kickback in large brush. One would not want to get a foot or leg in contact with any of the brush cutters!

Its a safety thing, not a strength or design issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Do you want me to use the approved brush cutter and see what it will do for you on video? I can do it tomorrow? :drinks:
Now really, what do YOU think?:laugh::lol:

When I first bought mine I got the brush cutter head and it had a 4 bladed cutter on it. It's not for anything "woody", little maple and walnut saplings it will cut all day. I bought another blade that looks like a "plywood" circular saw blade and readily found out why they want you to use "handlebar" type machines with it. It can be pretty whippy in thicker brush.

I find the hedge trimmer works fine for what I've been cutting and with the really bigger brush I just change out for the chain saw. I put about 25 hours on my "brush work" in the last couple weeks and the Kombi is the way to go. (Especially 5"-8" evergreen and maple limbs that WERE hanging over from the neighbor's trees.) That little saw is worth it's weight in last year's gold prices!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you want me to use the approved brush cutter and see what it will do for you on video? I can do it tomorrow? :drinks:
Brian, I love seeing videos of others working. But my the time you have it posted I will already have the Kombi. Most of the brush that will be cleared is under a 1". The bigger stuff I will take care of with the chain saw.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got back from dealer with the 130R power head and the grass trimmer. They had to order the brush cutter. Sold the last one they had about a hour before I got there.

Brian, Still would like to see the video. :munch:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts