Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
The Stihl sales guy filled & started my saw in front of me. He asked me if I wanted to try starting it. I was in a hurry working 2 jobs so I said no.
Soon as I pulled the rope starter at home I realized my mistake.

To start it I hold the back handle between my legs/thighs. Then use my 2 hands to hold the saw & pull the rope.
A 250 is that hard to pull? Isn't it easier-safer to step into the handle in that case or do you have back problems that make that worse?

·
Old Pa-pa
12,237 Posts
Bought a MS251 this year, really wanted the Farm/Ranch Stihl, but the dealer didn't have one in stock and my
small old Homelite Super 2 went down while in the middle of cutting a tree.
So I bought the MS 251 with easy start and quick chain adjust with some reservations.
Have used it on 11 trees so far and it is one heck of a little saw!!
Easy to start, usually 2 or 3 pulls with the easy start feature, clean it with a brush every couple of hours,
no problems with the oiler.
Easy to take apart and clean with the quick chain adjust system.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I own the predecessor of this saw, the 025. Had it about 23 years I think. Sometimes my bar dries up and then oils normal for a while. I'm going to dismantle it this winter and examine everything in the circuit. My lines and tubes ought to be pretty dry by now, betting I have a small hole. I love this small saw, it has been outstanding. I always thought it was easy to start, especially after moving up to a 71cc and 91cc class.

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
A 250 is that hard to pull? Isn't it easier-safer to step into the handle in that case or do you have back problems that make that worse?

Bending over with my right foot in the handle (saw on the ground) to start it ain't gonna happen. LOL
I also only have the 180 that has a smaller engine than the 250 saw. In my opinion the EZ start is worth every penny.
The 2 major features I was shopping for was light weight and ease of starting.
If I had to do it over again I would have moved up to the model with a primer bulb carburetor. If my saw sits till the carb is dry I have to pull it quite a few times till it gets going. Again not a big issue with the easy start.

I used some radio control car cleaner on the plastic covers to clean it the first time. I suspect that weakened the starter rope enough to give me problems with it braking 2X's. Since my dealer replaced the rope I never had another problem.

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I guess in one way I am lucky to always have been a scrawny, short fella. Closer to the ground and I can still touch my toes.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
The Stihl sales guy filled & started my saw in front of me. He asked me if I wanted to try starting it. I was in a hurry working 2 jobs so I said no.
Soon as I pulled the rope starter at home I realized my mistake.

To start it I hold the back handle between my legs/thighs. Then use my 2 hands to hold the saw & pull the rope.
Starting a saw between your legs? You're kidding, right?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Another oldie but goodie but since we're here, I have a stihl 120? that's been a great little saw, easy to start. In fact my family was always echo but after being given this saw to use long term (it's technically my dad's but i use it to cut wood for his heating) and seeing how easily it starts compared to the echos (also great saw imo) I will likely buy a stihl when the time comes.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think starting the saw between your legs is in the manual. Let’s just say that method is not for me. I drop start mine. Starting it with your foot in the handle? Works if you have ballerinas shoes on. I broke my handle trying that with boots on.

Its a bit of a zombie thread but the op talked about oiling on a MS250. Mine never really oiled heavy, but it would use a tank of oil for a tank of gas and didn’t burn up bars or chains. The amount of oiling is not adjustable on a MS250.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts