Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3038E, X590, X320, 1949 Ford 8N, 1959 Ford 841 Diesel
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Stihl ever run any kind of sales? I'm in need of a new pole saw, but not urgently so I can wait if there is any sort of sale I might catch (that might be worth it). I've checked with three dealers, including my JD dealer, and all the prices are the same with no haggling.

TIA

·
Administrator
22,430 Posts
Not really. They’ll run a special once in a while, but don’t expect much. You get what you pay for here. I absolutely love Stihl. Still great quality equipment after all these years, good parts availability, and relatively large dealership network.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Agree - no "sales" but you might get a small extra thrown in by the dealer.

(I just noticed there are a lot of Stihl posts here, but no specific Stihl thread. I'm going to start one.)

·
Administrator
22,955 Posts
Stihl is price-fixed so all dealers sell for the same price, no need to shop around.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stihl is price-fixed so all dealers sell for the same price, no need to shop around.
That's what I assumed. Thanks for confirming.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Seem to remember some kind of promotion in the spring sales catalog.

·
Registered
195 Posts
We received a small price break years ago when we purchased two pieces of equipment at one time. The discount wasn’t much, they did throw in some Stihl bling which helped ease the sting a bit.

Nine plus years later and the equipment is still running strong. We got exactly what we paid for and we’re still happy.

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
You might want to look for a used one. I picked one up from a rental place. looked great and under 300$

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
They will not sell for under MSRP, but each dealer can set their own pricing at or above that (sometimes well above that). Went through this when buying a GTA26, and now again with getting additional batteries. In some cases the markups (over msrp) were ridiculous on an already pricey brand. 3 dealers - 3 different prices, none were msrp. Definitely shop around.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Has Stihl being price fixed happened in the last couple years? I knew they had a minimum price, but I thought there was some flexibility above that. I got my dealer to price match my MS462 when it came out, saved a few hundred and 4 hours of driving to get it at the lower price.

·
Registered
289 Posts
They will not sell for under MSRP, but each dealer can set their own pricing at or above that (sometimes well above that). Went through this when buying a GTA26, and now again with getting additional batteries. In some cases the markups (over msrp) were ridiculous on an already pricey brand. Definitely shop around.
I think this is going to depend on your local area. For example, my local dealers have box chains near them that will only sell at MSRP. They'll actively lose business if they try to charge more than MSRP as customers will go to the chains. It pisses them off too but I don't think there's anything they can do about it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Up here Stihl seems to run spring, summer, fall special flyers.. All flyers look the same, just different dealer names on them.. I suspect like said, company sets prices, sales, specials and such..

It does pay to shop around and periodically check in with dealers as I have bought several Kombi power head attachments at good prices because the dealer just wanted to get rid of them..

Reactions: Ford8N

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has Stihl being price fixed happened in the last couple years? I knew they had a minimum price, but I thought there was some flexibility above that. I got my dealer to price match my MS462 when it came out, saved a few hundred and 4 hours of driving to get it at the lower price.
My impression of "price fixed" is as others have stated - there's a floor that you can't go below.

I'm a big fan of Collings guitars, and they allow their dealers to offer 10% off of MSRP. You don't have to offer that discount, but you can't sell for any price below that and keep your dealership. Their theory, and I like it, is that dealers will be much more likely to provide good service after the sale if they are guaranteed a good margin on the initial sale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts