Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking at adding a new saw for farm use. Clearing up some things around our 100 acres and occasionally cutting firewood.

I’m limiting my search to Stihl - just brand preference. Yes, I’m aware there are arguably “better” brands at lower price points - but come time to repair or resell - I’ve never been dissatisfied with Stihl.

First deal that caught my eye was a MS 391 for $300 locally, 20” bar - seemed to be in nice shape, but reading some bad about the weight and vibration on these.

Also looked at a new 261 with 18” bar. Of course more money - but getting the better build over a farm and ranch model and of course, it’s new so no surprises. I’ve got a 20” barred Husq I “inherited” - so I’m thinking going with a slightly shorter bar - knowing that if Stihl says the saw will handle 20” - next size down is probably what it handles “comfortably”

Thoughts good or bad? Probably overkill for my needs - but I’d rather pay $550 once than blowing $250 on some homeowner saw and then fight with it next winter.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I agree on the bar length. I always look for a bar one size shorter than the maximum spec because I would rather have more power. (I've cut a 42" tree with a 16" bar -- it just takes a little longer than a single pass.) If you don't use your saw all the time, you're also less likely to get into trouble with a slightly shorter bar.
Hold the saws out in front of you before buying to be sure you're happy with the weight, too. An extra couple of inches isn't worth an extra pound unless you're a pro, in my experience. As the work day wears on, you'll feel it!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Really a MS291-18 would probably be plenty and at $440 its not too much money. It can handle up to a 20" but I like to sell them with an 18". Its 1.3 pounds lighter than the 391. Theres nothing wrong with going bigger... I have an 025, 028 Super, and 036 PRO and only have 3 trees lol.
A MS261 is a great saw and about a 1.5 pound lighter than the 291. But I usually sell them to commercial guys that are going to use them all day everyday. Its kind of a waste for an occasional use saw.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Only time I run a chainsaw is when a tree falls. Which is more offer then I’d like. I have a farm boss I believe that’s a 290 20” bar and a ms 170 16” bar. The farm boss is a great saw if your in a hurry. But its heavy! I’ll run the ms 170 all day no problems. And its my go to saw.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've had a MS250 going on 10 years or longer. As I recall the MS261 is similar size but more of a professional grade. More power, not much if any heavier, better all around. I kind of wish I had stepped up and got a one like that but then there are months that I don't use it. I cut some fire word and trees that fall over but I also might go 12 months and not use it. If you are in it for the long haul and can afford it, get the nicer one.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I’ve got two saws that I used regularly.
An 038 Mag II.
And an 026.

The 26 is the predecessor to the 261. I have an 18” bar in mine. It handles it fine and is my go to saw for all but big oak.

Like you I’d rather pay a little more for a professional saw that will be there for when I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a few different stihl saws. The main trunk cutting workhorse is a 391 with a 25" bar. Small work I use a 170 (16") and a 193T (14"). Truthfully I am a fan of having more than 1 and using the most appropriate saw for the task at hand. Having said that, if you are only going to have 1 saw, then a mid 200 series would be a best of both worlds scenario in terms of weight and power. Millions of opinions on brands and sizes. Best answer is to go pick one up and try it out. Your opinion is the one that matters. You have to use it.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Only time I run a chainsaw is when a tree falls. Which is more offer then I’d like. I have a farm boss I believe that’s a 290 20” bar and a ms 170 16” bar. The farm boss is a great saw if your in a hurry. But its heavy! I’ll run the ms 170 all day no problems. And its my go to saw.
Ditto here. Same saws I have. Use the 170 for limbing and the 290 for the bigger stuff. The 170 was too cheap not to have and won’t wear you out. One day it hit me....why am I using such a big saw when I don’t need it for limbs, smaller trees etc.?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice - 291 was what initially caught my eye and what I tried out the other day when stopping into dealership for a few others things with no plans on buying a new saw - of course, start doing my research on the net after getting the urge to buy something new and thinking it would be nice to have something lighter - and well, you know how it goes.

I might actually go back to the 291 - the dangers of reading things on the interwebs - everyone seems to think you should get BIGGER and BETTER. Not that I feel either is completely wrong all the time, but I am also very realistic - a homeowner needing to clean up their back yard likely doesn't NEED a pro level saw. Likewise, buying bigger than you need is ok - but using it for an extended period will leave you wanting the RIGHT size saw and not something with way more power than you need.

Since the topic of ethanol free was brought up - also curious, should I just go with the ethanol free fuel offered by the dealership, or buy it at the only station in town offering E free gas? I know alot of people swear using this stuff in EVERY gas engine they own - I personally run high test regular gas with treatment in my X370 and gator - but in things like the leaf blower/saws/push mower and pressure washer its ethanol free only. Too many horror stories from small engine owners for me out there. Saw Stihl is making their own ethanol free fuel premix - figured its more costly, but at the amount I use - what is that extra cost, possibly $20 a year if that...figure it in to the cost of even a $400 machine and its less than 5% a year cost - seems to be cost effective to me.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I was all ready to buy the Stihl MS170,, then all the discussion of the Milwaukee,,,
I bought the Milwaukee,,

Everyone needs one electric saw,, it is every bit as good as the MS170, power, cutting speed,,, etc,,
LITERALLY,, IDENTICAL POWER!!

My other saw is a Stihl MS290 I believe,, with an 18" bar. It will do anything I am willing to tackle,,

I had about the most professional logging crew possible on my property last year for 3 months,,
ALL they used was Husqvarna,, but,, that was because they have the Husqvarna VERY near their home (it is a family business)
(they live close to 60 miles away)
I asked, they said they ran Stihl until the Husqvarna dealer opened,,
In the loggers opinion,, the Husqvarna works circles around Stihl,,
They said the Husqvarna gives them over double the saw life as compared to Stihl,,

Even with that recommendation,, I will stick with Stihl for a gas saw,, because of better service near me,,
I will never wear out ANY saw,, I just can not do that much logging,,,,

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
I bought my first Stihl saw last spring. I got the MS 271 Farm Boss with the 18" bar! So far, the saw is awesome! I use the Stihl MotoMix fuel.:good2:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Since the topic of ethanol free was brought up - also curious, should I just go with the ethanol free fuel offered by the dealership, or buy it at the only station in town offering E free gas? I know alot of people swear using this stuff in EVERY gas engine they own - I personally run high test regular gas with treatment in my X370 and gator - but in things like the leaf blower/saws/push mower and pressure washer its ethanol free only. Too many horror stories from small engine owners for me out there. Saw Stihl is making their own ethanol free fuel premix - figured its more costly, but at the amount I use - what is that extra cost, possibly $20 a year if that...figure it in to the cost of even a $400 machine and its less than 5% a year cost - seems to be cost effective to me.

If you EVER buy a backpack leaf blower (I have the Stihl BR600) You will give up on the thought of Stihl fuel,,
That blower consumes a LOT of gas,,

I used to keep one gallon of gas for the saw,, now I have a 2.5 gallon can,,
and it is barely big enough to keep me from running for gas every third use,,

I have a 100 gallon tank of ethanol free gas,, but it is 87 octane,, I use 93 octane ethanol free in the 2 stroke engines, hence, the separate can..

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
Thanks for the advice - 291 was what initially caught my eye and what I tried out the other day when stopping into dealership for a few others things with no plans on buying a new saw - of course, start doing my research on the net after getting the urge to buy something new and thinking it would be nice to have something lighter - and well, you know how it goes.

I might actually go back to the 291 - the dangers of reading things on the interwebs - everyone seems to think you should get BIGGER and BETTER. Not that I feel either is completely wrong all the time, but I am also very realistic - a homeowner needing to clean up their back yard likely doesn't NEED a pro level saw. Likewise, buying bigger than you need is ok - but using it for an extended period will leave you wanting the RIGHT size saw and not something with way more power than you need.

If you buy a Stihl saw and buy a case of their 2 stroke oil OR a case of their pre-mix fuel, it will double your warranty.

I’ve been using nothing but the canned fuel for years now in my handheld gas equipment with great results. But I hardly use them anymore so the cost doesn’t matter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use MotoMix in my saws only, unless I'm out of my mix and I'm too lazy to go to the gas station. I use Stihl Ultra and 93 octane in my trimmer, blower, and hedge trimmer. I go through it enough I dont have issues with the ethanol. At $32 a gallon it gets pricey runnng MotoMix in everything. But like someone mentioned above. Definately get either MotoMix or a 6 pack of Ultra oil to double your warranty at the time of purchase.
You won't be disapointed with a MS291.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a MS271 with a 20" bar and a MS170 with a 16" bar. The MS170 is great for small stuff. It's so light that I find myself using it more than the MS271. I find the MS271 is a little underpowered with a 20" bar. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have been lightly shopping for a new Stihl saw... both dealers I have talked to told me, the best bang for the buck for the average homeowner the 18" 271 @ $389. It is probably what I would get if I pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
For fuel, I’m lucky enough to have a gas station that has ethanol free premium. I run Stihl oil and ethanol free premium in all my 2 cycle engines. Used to use Amsoil mix but since I bought new Stihl weed whip and ms170 last summer and they extend their warranty I switched to Stihl oil. Easier to get also.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Go Ethanol-Free

I was finally able to switch to 90 octane ethanol-free (E0) fuel after moving to an area with lots of boating activities. It's currently $3.28 per gallon here. All of those two cycle engines with tiny carburetor diaphrams run SO MUCH BETTER without ethanol to make them sticky! If you can't go that route, use only premium gas. The regular grades have lots of wax-building impurities that don't affect large engines, but wreak havoc with the tiny ones. (I personally don't think canned fuel is special enough to be worth the price unless you're having lots of problems with premium already, or use very little of it.)

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
What are you guys paying for ethanol free gas?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts