Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

so I have a small 2 stroke Stihl Yard Boss, it’s started giving trouble after sitting up for a while. I removed the spark plug, sprayed in carb cleaner, let sit for 15 mins and replaced the spark plug which was a bit black.

then I removed the air filter, sprayed carb cleaner in the throat and let sit for 15 mins, cleaned the filter with an air hose. And then ran it with new ethanol free 50:1 mix in a can

it will start after some trouble and will run but only at max throttle and actually with choke, the second I turn off the choke OR take it off high throttle to let it idle it’ll cut out

any suggestions guys?
I did get this ‘Mechanic in a bottle’ stuff and I’m letting it sit in it overnight, I pumped the primer til I knew it’s in the carb.

another thought I had was maybe the spark arrestor is choked up with carbon I may clean or leave it out completely.

hoping I don’t need a new carb as a last resort, was kinda hoping others have a Stihl Yard Boss

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
They are known for diaphragms in the carb sticking together when run dry.

Speaking of which I should run mine one more time before winter.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,685 Posts
Years ago Stihl had a recall that replaced the carburetor.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi guys

so I have a small 2 stroke Stihl Yard Boss, it’s started giving trouble after sitting up for a while. I removed the spark plug, sprayed in carb cleaner, let sit for 15 mins and replaced the spark plug which was a bit black.
Erie - The oldest Stihl dealer in the USA is Ronnie Rapp, Rapp's Repair Shop, in Beaver, Ohio. I don't have his phone number handy, but a Google search will reveal. Ronnie has worked with these engines going on 50 years and knows lots of tricks. I know him well and he freely disseminates his wisdom and knowledge

No-ethanol is best, as is mid or high test fuel helps greatly also,

Best of luck,

Brian

then I removed the air filter, sprayed carb cleaner in the throat and let sit for 15 mins, cleaned the filter with an air hose. And then ran it with new ethanol free 50:1 mix in a can

it will start after some trouble and will run but only at max throttle and actually with choke, the second I turn off the choke OR take it off high throttle to let it idle it’ll cut out

any suggestions guys?
I did get this ‘Mechanic in a bottle’ stuff and I’m letting it sit in it overnight, I pumped the primer til I knew it’s in the carb.

another thought I had was maybe the spark arrestor is choked up with carbon I may clean or leave it out completely.

hoping I don’t need a new carb as a last resort, was kinda hoping others have a Stihl Yard Boss

1 - 5 of 5 Posts