Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe soon.

If you don’t remember me from 2 years ago you can reference this thread: Decisions decisions: 2038r

In case you’re wondering; we chose the option where my wife got a new car and got pregnant. Therefore the Cub’s issues got bandages.

Now the Cub quit last week halfway through mowing. I towed it back to the garage and spent the next hour trying to get the wheel horse started. I then finish mowing which takes forever with a 42 inch deck and near turtle ground speed. I keep wondering why I spend time fighting with this crap instead of A: spending time with my family OR B: checking other items off my “to do” list.

I’m scheming to make it financially possible to buy a tractor. This will be my third attempt to make this happen. A 2032r seems like the best choice.

Questions:

Does anyone know how high it can pick stuff up with the loader? I’d like the ability to lift heavy items up to my garage loft. I guess I could build portable ramps to drive up on to gain a few inches if necessary.

Is there any reason I couldn’t tow it on my 4K lbs 5.5x9 trailer? I know the Deere site says it weighs 2500 lbs but that’s without loader and mower.

Backhoe? What’s the digging depth of those? I’m sure I have many uses for one, but renting a mini ex is rather reasonable.

What is the maximum cutting height of a Mid Mount 60 inch deck. Hoping to mow at least 3.5 inches.

Edit:

Also, if one was to go 2025, same questions as above and can those now be had with the radial tires? Those are really a must for me.

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
I’m scheming to make it financially possible to buy a tractor. This will be my third attempt to make this happen. A 2032r seems like the best choice.

Questions:

Does anyone know how high it can pick stuff up with the loader? I’d like the ability to lift heavy items up to my garage loft. I guess I could build portable ramps to drive up on to gain a few inches if necessary.
The 220R loader mounted on either a 2032R or 2038R has a max lift height of 85" at the pivot point.

Is there any reason I couldn’t tow it on my 4K lbs 5.5x9 trailer? I know the Deere site says it weighs 2500 lbs but that’s without loader and mower.
Yes, there are reasons. A 2032R is 14.4' long for starters (and that's with no implements). Your trailer is about 5' short as a minimum.

Backhoe? What’s the digging depth of those?
7'

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
These are the loader specs:
Maximum lift height (A)
2160 mm
85 in.
At full height - bucket level(B)
1999 mm
79 in.
At full height - bucket dumped (C)
1667 mm
66 in.

For getting stuff up into the loft, measurement B is the most relevant.

Assuming it would fit on a 9 foot trailer (I have a hard time picturing that), you should be fine with a 4K lbs weight capacity. If you load the tires you may be pushing it.

I don't have a back hoe or mower deck, but I do know that the command cut system is supposed to go up to 6".

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yes, there are reasons. A 2032R is 14.4' long for starters (and that's with no implements). Your trailer is about 5' short as a minimum.
It's actually just under 13 feet with the loader (just measured mine).

Without the loader, it's about 10.5 feet from the front to the tip of the three point arms, but the arms can hang over the trailer, as can the loader. Not the best solution (a pretty terrible one, actually), but it might be able to fit. But...I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never would have thought it was the long. The wheelbase is only 5.6ft, you wouldn’t think there would be 5 feet more. I’m not 100% sure why I’d be trailering it, but you never know. Could always take 3pt arms off I guess. What’s the real world length of the 2025?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I never would have thought it was the long. The wheelbase is only 5.6ft, you wouldn’t think there would be 5 feet more. I’m not 100% sure why I’d be trailering it, but you never know. Could always take 3pt arms off I guess. What’s the real world length of the 2025?
The 2025 is exactly 10’ from the tip of the loader bucket level on the ground to where the back tire contacts the ground.

The picture is in inches.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
It's actually just under 13 feet with the loader (just measured mine).

Without the loader, it's about 10.5 feet from the front to the tip of the three point arms, but the arms can hang over the trailer, as can the loader. Not the best solution (a pretty terrible one, actually), but it might be able to fit. But...I wouldn't do it.
You're right. I goofed! The Deere brochure says "115"" and I read that as "175"". I need new glasses! :laugh:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2025 is exactly 10’ from the tip of the loader bucket level on the ground to where the back tire contacts the ground.

The picture is in inches.
So that would probably fit without the bucket, which could easily be put in the truck bed.

I hate to downsize. I have read that the 2025 is a very capable machine. Can someone tell me where to find loader and mower specs? Deere’s website really sucks and it takes forever to figure stuff out.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
So that would probably fit without the bucket, which could easily be put in the truck bed.

I hate to downsize. I have read that the 2025 is a very capable machine. Can someone tell me where to find loader and mower specs? Deere’s website really sucks and it takes forever to figure stuff out.
The best specifications are in the product brochures. Here is the one for the 2025R:

John Deere

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
I never would have thought it was the long. The wheelbase is only 5.6ft, you wouldn’t think there would be 5 feet more.

Keep in mind that "wheelbase" is measured from the center of the front wheel hubs to the center of the rear wheel hubs.

I'm not sure what the diameter is on the new 2032R but on the "original" 2032R, the rear tires are 36" diameter. So to the rear of the tires themselves alone adds 18". And then you've still got the 3pt hitch hanging off the back end behind that and the same sort of thing going on with the front end.

Deere seems to advertise wheelbase a LOT and downplays overall length. Lots of people are trying to figure out the same sort of thing you're doing here and I've never seen anyone ask a question where wheelbase was really relevant.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep in mind that "wheelbase" is measured from the center of the front wheel hubs to the center of the rear wheel hubs.

I'm not sure what the diameter is on the new 2032R but on the "original" 2032R, the rear tires are 36" diameter. So to the rear of the tires themselves alone adds 18". And then you've still got the 3pt hitch hanging off the back end behind that and the same sort of thing going on with the front end.

Deere seems to advertise wheelbase a LOT and downplays overall length. Lots of people are trying to figure out the same sort of thing you're doing here and I've never seen anyone ask a question where wheelbase was really relevant.
Yeah I looked at our 4520 at work and it’s wheelbase is about six feet and it’s 12ft overall not counting the loader. The thing I’m wondering now is why the 2 series is so close in size to a 4 series.

Now I’m kinda all over the place. A 2025 will most likely fit on the trailer, and is cheaper and may allow me to buy backhoe. Then again I don’t know if the backhoe for the 2025 is going to get me deep enough to do my sewer line. The extra foot the 2032 gets me would be clutch, but then it’s more expensive and I don’t know if I can afford the backhoe.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
It would be a lot of extra work but you could excavate the ground on both sides of the trench a foot or more deep and the width of the tractor prior to digging with the backhoe.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I looked at a 2032R. Nice machine, a lot more expensive. I went with the 2025R and with the savings of the machine itself I was able to get the backhoe and still stay within my budget. So far I am more than pleased with the 2025R, it is a workhorse.

Also, don't expect the 270 backhoe to be leaps and bounds better than the 260B on a 2025R. It digs a little deeper but spec wise they are pretty close.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Yeah I looked at our 4520 at work and it’s wheelbase is about six feet and it’s 12ft overall not counting the loader. The thing I’m wondering now is why the 2 series is so close in size to a 4 series.

Now I’m kinda all over the place. A 2025 will most likely fit on the trailer, and is cheaper and may allow me to buy backhoe. Then again I don’t know if the backhoe for the 2025 is going to get me deep enough to do my sewer line. The extra foot the 2032 gets me would be clutch, but then it’s more expensive and I don’t know if I can afford the backhoe.
How deep you have to go? 2025 can dig 75”. You only get 9” with the 270b. And if you can’t afford the backhoe for the 2032 then the 2025 actually digs 75” deeper :lol:

I looked at a 2032R. Nice machine, a lot more expensive. I went with the 2025R and with the savings of the machine itself I was able to get the backhoe and still stay within my budget. So far I am more than pleased with the 2025R, it is a workhorse.

Also, don't expect the 270 backhoe to be leaps and bounds better than the 260B on a 2025R. It digs a little deeper but spec wise they are pretty close.
It’s exactly what I did. I believe just the backhoe was $3000 more. And every single implement cost more. It just wasn’t practical for my home use considering the price. I would not have gotten the back hoe with the 2032

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts

you are right.
But the truth is i have played this game several times over the years and as long as i can get the wheels firmly on a trailer and properly strapped down a little over hang in front and back is no big deal and i have never gotten any tickets. However, i do this only under desperate circumstances i do prefer a longer trailer. You do have to be careful of the over hang in the front that it dosent connect with the back of your tow vehicle on turns and when it moves a bit when on the brakes. AND, the weight must be properly balanced over the axles and level when hooked to tow vehicle. You can always remove the 3pt if you are worried about it sticking out

The specs say your tractor if a 2032 0r 2038r is 60-63 inches wide your trailer isnt wide enpugh. Forget what i said its time for a new trailer or buy a 2025R

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you are right.
But the truth is i have played this game several times over the years and as long as i can get the wheels firmly on a trailer and properly strapped down a little over hang in front and back is no big deal and i have never gotten any tickets. However, i do this only under desperate circumstances i do prefer a longer trailer. You do have to be careful of the over hang in the front that it dosent connect with the back of your tow vehicle on turns and when it moves a bit when on the brakes. AND, the weight must be properly balanced over the axles and level when hooked to tow vehicle. You can always remove the 3pt if you are worried about it sticking out

The specs say your tractor if a 2032 0r 2038r is 60-63 inches wide your trailer isnt wide enpugh. Forget what i said its time for a new trailer or buy a 2025R
My trailer is 66 inches wide so in theory I’d be ok. When I bought the trailer they said it was designed for compact tractors and it fit the cub perfectly. At the time I thought John Deere’s were just going to be in my dreams. The trailer is only 6 months old and there is no hope for new. My main purpose for it is hauling firewood, grave, and mulch. It does those things fine and I can haul the cub to shows with it. I’m not even sure why or where I need the Deere to go.

I’m currently leaning towards the 2025. Mostly because of the backhoe and $$. I think a 2025 with backhoe is more useful to me than 7 more horses with no backhoe. All this being said, I am one step closer as of today with my wife’s approval. Now I just need to work some money magic and god willing, I’ll have a Deere in 2 or so months...

·
Registered
950 Posts
My trailer is 66 inches wide so in theory I’d be ok. When I bought the trailer they said it was designed for compact tractors and it fit the cub perfectly. At the time I thought John Deere’s were just going to be in my dreams. The trailer is only 6 months old and there is no hope for new. My main purpose for it is hauling firewood, grave, and mulch. It does those things fine and I can haul the cub to shows with it. I’m not even sure why or where I need the Deere to go.

I’m currently leaning towards the 2025. Mostly because of the backhoe and $$. I think a 2025 with backhoe is more useful to me than 7 more horses with no backhoe. All this being said, I am one step closer as of today with my wife’s approval. Now I just need to work some money magic and god willing, I’ll have a Deere in 2 or so months...
You can't go wrong with either model they will both likely do what ever you demand of them. Thge 2025 FLBH is an outstanding price and you can take 84 months to pay for it same as cash.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts