Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So if im within a 1/10 mile of PWM my phone has full 4g but uploads and downloads like its in 1g. Its been going on atleast 2 years and outside that zone im back to full speed with less signal.

Nothing to hide but i disagree with the pricipal completely and i pay for a serice level this singular deadstop interfears with. Can doplar radar cause a similar sustained slowdown? A single picture here takes atleast a minute to preview.

I have 3 bars at home and 10 posts worth of pics load in 10 seconds. I say as ive never waited to see anything.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

Being 1/10th of a mile away from PWM your bound to be being splashed by all sorts of radar and radio communication signals.

Commercial transmitters at an airport are a lot more powerful than your tiny cell antenna, they are going to saturate the airspace and your cell signal is going to get lost in all that noise that your poor little phone connection meter thinks is a great 4g lte signal.

I recommend taking a ride down to 2 Fat Cats bakery, enjoy a cookie or scone, I have no issues with cell reception there. :good2:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
ok
I'll Bite

WTF is a PWM?

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish that wasnt a 20 minute ride. Im on the other side usually. I used to take break looking at the harbor but the jetport absorbed the land of that spot.

Ive been through 6 cell phones this year because they lost the ablity to connect. An i phone lasted 6 months until an update made it smoke. The rest were new mid grade phones. Interfearace makes sense but 2-3g was always good 3-5 years per phone. This year is a joke.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
:munch:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Airport

Ok
I get it...The Other Portland...ours is PDX

I'm in OR.

You have me curious on WFM......My googlefu brought up nothing.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weekend freedom machines.

Wfmachines

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Thank You

Yet another wealth of Knowledge.

:cheers:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Not sure on the size of PWM but you could be dealing with capacity issues. You can be close enough to the tower that you have excellent cellular signal BUT are sharing that site with way too many users. Airports, ballparks, racetracks, all suffer from this problem because there are simply too many users trying to use the same aggregate trunks between the cell site and the network. At certain venues, they install many micro cells to reduce this problem. As a user, all we see is the signal strength. We have no visibility of how many other devices are competing for bandwidth.

Some people experience this with cable internet in extremely dense communities.

Lee

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is possible. I changed carriers a few years back when i had that happen at home at rush hour. Although at that time it was slow and would regularly drop you. Ive got no issues with dropped calls or download failure.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im looking for better logic. Airport handles 8k passengers per day topsoil and experiance says 50k are needed in a cluster to overwhelm a node.

I was just in front of a nws dopplar with no reduced signal. That should be more poweeful.

I Get 5-10 mbps within a mile of the area. 0.2-0.08 mbps inside. Its my understanding a stingray forces 2g rates to reduce encryption on the signal

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

Seems the Uber people are having reception issues at PWM as well.... :unknown:

"I think the most logical thing is that Uber has responded to requests from PWM management to keep requests off our screens if we're on jetport property. I know the folks (drivers) I've seen waiting have been at the two hotels, staples and the plane viewing lot across the runways. My only airport fare came after a drop off in town on Cumberland Ave, so I had to drive all the way out there. Even camping the airport areas, I've not received a request despite multiple recent landings. I've pretty much given up on camping the airport."

"I also did the driveby experiment with the same disappearing results. About a month ago I sat for 45 minutes in the cellphone lot in the closest space, about 75' away from the taxi stand next to baggage claim. During that time, three flights arrived. The taxis were moving passengers at a steady pace. I didn't get a single request. Draw your own conclusions. I have gotten PWM requests when I was away from the airport. Ironically, one was from an airport worker who confirmed that we were being blocked. He wouldn't go into detail though."

"does this fall in line with suspicions that the Jetport/city of Portland have made a deal with Uber to exclude the airport?"

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Blocking cell signals is illegal even for jails where they are prohibitive. Good to know im not the only one with this issue in that area though

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its funny. The persistant problem has completely disappeared since posting this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts