Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. New to the forum and to the tractor world.

I just purchased a 2018 1025R with loader, 60" auto connect mower, and 42" forks attachment. I have about 5 acres with lots of piles of brush that have been building up and I need some help moving them from various parts of the property to one big pile for burning / chipping / etc. I bought this loader to help with clearing up the land to turn forest in to yard with grass, then the mower to mow once that grass grows. That's the long term goal at least. I know it's not the most powerful and will take longer than a larger tractor, but it's already more than I could afford.

In any case, I really wanted a grapple but couldn't afford the extra cost, mainly because it couldn't be financed (not sold at dealer). So, I opted for forks. I have seen a bunch of videos on youtube of SCUTS clearing and move brush with their buckets and forks without a grapple, so I know it's possible. Problem is I did not do my research and just had the dealer throw them in to the deal.

I've since done some research and read all over the stock forks are too heavy for the H120 so everyone opts for the Artillian light weight sets. Too late for me I guess. I still have not had the tractor delivered but did give the down payment and delivery is 2 days away so I doubt I can drop them off the sale now.

The model on invoice is HD1242JD440 HLA 1200lb 42" Forks. I can't find anywhere actual specs on the fork frame or forks listed here to see what they actually weigh. Everyone says they're too heavy but I cant find actual specs, are these specs out there somewhere? I was hoping to be able to move some pallets of wood but also seen that without a lighter fork set this may be tough. I'm hoping some magic somehow happened and this model happens to be lightweight... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the weight of the forks unless you plan on maxing them out with brush. Even if you do plan on using them for firewood just don't max out the load you are trying to move. I bought the Titan forks for my 1025r and I just unloaded a pallet off of the back of a trailer today that weighed 590 pounds and I've used it to lift heavier pallets. Just make sure you have the right amount of ballast on the back.

·
Premium Member
10,146 Posts
Brush won't max out the forks. You are good there.

Logs and firewood can.

As far as max load goes you lost less than 100# (hopefully)

To get the most out of the lift capacity, you will need ballast. Without it you can't lift much at all.

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I use Titan forks and have never had a problem. In the 18 months since I have had my 1025 I have never used the bucket only forks.

·
Administrator
18,520 Posts
Talk to the dealer about your concerns, there is no such thing as “stock” forks. HLA does have some lightweight JDQA ones that are made for the small tractors, but don’t show on the website. The ones linked above are the SSQA version.

Here is a pic I found with a quick google search:

1CCECC97-ADA8-45C6-A4DA-E13E0D3CF883.jpeg

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I would be more worried about not having enough rear ballast.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Unless you are trying to lift massive, very heavy things with your forks, you will be just fine with the HLA forks. I am not sure what model of the HLA forks that I have, but they have lifted everything that I have tried to lift with them. I have been able to stack 4-5' logs on them, many at a time, with no issues at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help.

I did get a ballast box with the tractor as well, just didn't mention it. I'll have to figure out the heaviest material I can put in there and fill it up. I'll ask the dealer if they can swap a lighter fork, but if not I feel more comfortable now with the HLA's from your responses.

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
Thanks for all the help.

I did get a ballast box with the tractor as well, just didn't mention it. I'll have to figure out the heaviest material I can put in there and fill it up. I'll ask the dealer if they can swap a lighter fork, but if not I feel more comfortable now with the HLA's from your responses.
:nunu:don't forget to fill ur rear tires also-unless ur dealer did it for u-ok.

Reactions: Robnik and Marlin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke to the dealership about the forks when they delivered the tractor today. The ones I got are 315lbs. There's another model they sell but didn't stock them; Frontier AP10F forks which are also 42" and capacity is also 1200lbs but they only weigh 198lbs. He ordered me a set of the lighter forks and said when they come in I can just swap my current ones in for the AP10F forks. So it's a win win, I get to use these and get the lighter ones when they come in... In April. Thanks for all the help. Now to figure out how to use this thing fun starts tomorrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Around the ballast box someone brought up earlier... I want to fill it with sand because I can just easily get it from a store down the street. How do you keep it from flowing through the holes on bottom of the box? Just duct tape is that strong enough?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I bought my 1025R a couple of years ago with one of the main planned tasks being to clean up and move a lot of brush. I bought the Titan 42 inch forks, and moving brush with them was no problem. Sure, some of the smaller sticks and such fall out as you're moving.

Pallet forks were a whole lot better than using the tiny H120 48 inch FEL bucket. Since I planned to clean up the brush and be done with that job, the expense of a grapple for me was prohibitive.

Here is a link to a video about how to move brush piles with pallet forks that I found very useful when I started out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecC0rfGulVI

Since my community had a designated burn site for brush, leaves, and trees about a mile away, I built a plywood dump box to strap to the forks to transport the loads of brush there. I'd lift the piles with the forks, dump them in the dump box, and then pick up the box and go. As stated above, a ballast box was needed to lift the forks with the box and the brush.

box4.JPG

·
Registered
913 Posts
In response to your ballast box question, the one I bought (Titan) does not have holes. However, I used brick pavers, just stacked in it. They weigh more per cubic foot than sand, and are relatively cheap. Note: pavers, not construction bricks.

Have fun!

·
Administrator
18,520 Posts
Around the ballast box someone brought up earlier... I want to fill it with sand because I can just easily get it from a store down the street. How do you keep it from flowing through the holes on bottom of the box? Just duct tape is that strong enough?
I used silicone sealant on all the inside seams, put it on thick let it dry a few days prior to filling.

Reactions: Robnik and rtgt
1 - 15 of 15 Posts