Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if chicken wire will stop a snowmobile if it gets caught up in the tracks. Just looking to detain them till i can call the sheriff. Also heard if you lay white nylon rope in the snow it gets tangled in the tracks kinda like chaps do when your chainsawing, Any suggestions will kindly be appreciated, yeah I have already thought of the other stuff, bullets are too expensive.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Even if they are in the wrong ,you could get in big trouble if you intentionally hurt them or their machines. Some of the new sleds are 10K +.

About the only thing you can do is put up fencing to keep them off your land.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Though I understand your reasoning for wanting to keep snowmobiling off your land you may want to look into the liability of trapping snowmobiles. I would hate to think of the lawsuit that would come if you killed or injured a rider.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I understand there is no permanent damage to the machine. just a lot of time with a wire cutters. Had the sheriff out and I could put up any barriers so as long as you were not endangering people. Also mentioned that the machine could be detained on your property (it the other guy isn't to big or has a lot of his friends along). They really have to slow down to cross the berm so sudden stoppage would not be a issue. Spent 6 hours piling tons of logs on the entrances. In Minnesota it becomes a gross Misdemeanor when property is posted for snowmobiles.

Going to the head Sheriff to confirm what the deputy said. Will see.

Landowners have no rights, only criminals do

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
From what I understand there is no permanent damage to the machine. just a lot of time with a wire cutters. Had the sheriff out and I could put up any barriers so as long as you were not endangering people. Also mentioned that the machine could be detained on your property (it the other guy isn't to big or has a lot of his friends along). They really have to slow down to cross the berm so sudden stoppage would not be a issue. Spent 6 hours piling tons of logs on the entrances. In Minnesota it becomes a gross Misdemeanor when property is posted for snowmobiles.

Going to the head Sheriff to confirm what the deputy said. Will see.

Landowners have no rights, only criminals do

A mean doberman might be the answer. I know it would keep me away.

Dave

·
Registered
770 Posts
Talk to your Insurance agent before you put up any fencing, or lay any traps like chicken wire.

If that chicken wire locks up a sled, and the operator eats the windscreen, dash, or ends up doing a fling W and the sled mauls them....
Your not going to like where thier insurance company will want to meet you. All they have to do is convince a jury that the Mesh or rope was placed with the intention of causing damage or injury.

We have a section of a Multi county "Rails to trails" that passes just to our SW corner.
Horseback folks, hikers, sled heads and Bicycle wierdos use the trail all year, and most of the tourist Idiots from Chitcago, cannot comprehend the concept of private property.

After the Idiots on Sleds destroyed 3,500 2yr old bushes one year, I simply decided some drainage ditching was in order, to tie in with the County drain. Nice, deep, square edged ditch, just like the county drain.
No problems with sleds since then. The Bicycle idiots, and fiddlehead hunting Koreans are another matter..

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
One trick to keep deer out of a area is to lay some sort of fencing on the ground. The fencing bothers their feet, and it will keep them from crossing the fence. This is used in orchards and fields to control crop damage. I would guess the deer in your area have been eating your landscaping and causing problems in your food plots, correct?

I would lay down some fencing or mesh to control the deer problem.

Now, being a concerned citizen who wishes no damage to any visiting neighbors or their equipment, I would post large signs on the edges of my property alerting recreational users that the deer fencing is in use and may cause damage to snow machine tracks if encountered.

I mean, you WERE asking about controlling your deer problem, correct?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
One trick to keep deer out of a area is to lay some sort of fencing on the ground. The fencing bothers their feet, and it will keep them from crossing the fence. This is used in orchards and fields to control crop damage. I would guess the deer in your area have been eating your landscaping and causing problems in your food plots, correct?

Now, being a concerned citizen who wishes no damage to any visiting neighbors or their equipment, I would post large signs on the edges of my property alerting recreational users that the deer fencing is in use and may cause damage to snow machine tracks if encountered.

I like it!

Reactions: DFlynn

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't know what the answer is besides signs and fences, but IMO detaining them is a terrible idea, especially after you've tangled up their sleds in wire and got them pissed off. How will you detain them? I don't know what the laws are where you live, but in most places you cannot detain a trespasser at gunpoint, and you certainly cannot fire at them unless they enter your home or intend to harm you. It likely won't end well for anyone involved except the lawyers.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Here on the WI side of the river...... I have used this.....
Too obvious to miss no trespassing signs... More signs than minimum requirement...
With pictures of the signs with other landmarks to identify locations...

Snow fencing to channel trespassers past a hidden trail cam....
And documentation with the local sheriffs department that this is a problem...
You are taking pictures and WILL press charges....
All snowmobiles are supposed to have a registration sticker, and/or license plate of some kind.

Around here there are a lot of trails... Most people are pretty good about staying on the trails....
But there are always a few.....

Good luck

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Here on the WI side of the river...... I have used this.....
Too obvious to miss no trespassing signs... More signs than minimum requirement...
With pictures of the signs with other landmarks to identify locations...

Snow fencing to channel trespassers past a hidden trail cam....
And documentation with the local sheriffs department that this is a problem...
You are taking pictures and WILL press charges....
All snowmobiles are supposed to have a registration sticker, and/or license plate of some kind.

Around here there are a lot of trails... Most people are pretty good about staying on the trails....
But there are always a few.....

Good luck
Where are you located? Would be nice to see it in your profile.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts

Awesome idea. I'd also check your state liability laws. If they are trespassing and get caught in your deer fence you might be protected and they may be liable for the damage.

Make sure you take a camera with you, the bigger the lens the better.

Legit snowmobile clubs might also be a resource for help. They are responsible riders and hate vandal riders more than you do.

We are trying to stop trespassers hunting on my brothers place. We are going to bait the property next year. This raises the anti from a minor misdemeanor $50 fine to a much higher penalty and gives the game warden a better reason to help catch them.

Be viligant and patient. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got enough anwsers

Not going to do anything, gonna wait till fall and just gate the access points with regular gates, put signs up and hope for the best. Kinda too bad when you spend a lot of time making cross country / walking trails and they turn into snowmobile trails.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
We made an ATV trail for all those that just HAD to ride through our property and I asked the people to please stay on the trail instead of tearing up woods all over the place. It worked.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Snowmobile and stress

The more and more I think about it just raises my stress level (got enough of that at work). I am just going ignore it the best I can. Most times the people that cause trouble self destruct anyway, just not in the time frame you had hope for. Usually by that time you don't care anyway. Time to move on.......... Life is too short

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
The more and more I think about it just raises my stress level (got enough of that at work). I am just going ignore it the best I can. Most times the people that cause trouble self destruct anyway, just not in the time frame you had hope for. Usually by that time you don't care anyway. Time to move on.......... Life is too short
Got to admire that mind set. I'm too stubborn.

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
196 Posts
Same problem, different day... take pics and...

Up here in NW Wisc. I have same problems, young trees planted after timber harvest destroyed by snowmobiles & atvs, NOT a huge number of idiots doing it, but just enough. :mad:

I found by taking pictures of tracks & the destruction, giving copies to the local snowmobile & atv clubs, they were quick to try & "police" the area themselves & they do a much better job of it with their machines than I could ever do! The sheriffs dept & the Wisc. D.N.R. couldn't care less :soapbox:

I do have postings & I like for people that are responsible to enjoy the area where I have logging trails, this is 190 acres. However I am also trying to regrow a managed forest. Many I have talked to on the trails are good & polite, the others sadly are drunk & use the "F" word a lot.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Gotcha!

I managed to chase down a pair of, what turned out to be teenagers, in my 93 Chevy S-10 Blazer. I was "haulin' the mail" across 2 fields and a small tractor bridge before they ran home with their tail between their legs, whereupon I walked up to the door and had a nice chat with "dad". No longer would his kids be riding through my property, tearing up the banks of the pond. The justice felt good.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
The property I own is above an old post and pilar coal mine. If I ever catch anyone trespassing I tell them, "it is easy enough to fall down an old mine shaft and no one well ever find you." It seams to give people the idea. My neighbor on the other hand is a little less discreet. If he sees anyone he just tells them that I'm from Detroit and I like to shoot first and ask questions later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts