Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding storing my attachments(only 2 currently). Right now I have them outside as I do not have room for them inside, does this or will this effect them or should I look into another building to put them in. If I leave them outside is there anything I should do to prep them. Attached a photo of current setup. Thanks for your insight.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
My thinking is that if you can afford to build the space to store them inside, do it. No use in depreciating it faster than necessary.

·
Registered
21,531 Posts
I am kind of OCD about a lot of things - this included. Everything from my vehicles to tractors to implements is under roof at all times.

I am lucky to have a 20'x60' barn. But of course that fills up quickly.

Years ago we built a pavilion next to the creek for sitting and watching the wildlife. We don't do that much anymore so it has become my tractor/implement storage area. Works great - keeps the rain and sun off which is good enough.

Maybe put up something like that? This is 10'x20'.

IMG_0057.JPG

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe put up something like that? This is 10'x20'.

View attachment 352706
I think this might be an idea, would have to make it 3 sided but would be the easiest. May store in my shop until I can get something together. Will have to check around and see if I can put it someones barn in the area for the summer.

Thanks for the ideas.

Don

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
If you can get them under cover that's great, but leaving them out is no big deal. The ballast box won't need anything special, it's just a box. For the snowblower I would grease any fittings it may have and give the rest of it a coat of Fluid Film, it'll be just fine to sit outside.

·
Registered
371 Posts
There are gazillions of implements that are kept outdoors. If kept lubed and off of the ground (even a little), they'll be functionally fine. But, UV rays are harsh- I have a very pink finish mower, that started out Kubota Orange. The previous owner had stored it outside; while it is mechanically perfect, it is aesthetically challenged.
I keep all of mine under roof, because the room is available. If not, I'd consider aluminum car ports, if the implements are sufficiently expensive. I wouldn't worry about covering a scraper blade, but a tiller, snow blower, finish mower, etc.- it's worth it to keep them under roof (to me).

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Both the dealers I talked to when i bought my 1025r had all sorts of tractors and implements sitting out in the weather all the time. I suspect all of my implements sat out in the weather quite a bit before they became mine.

Obviously storage buildings are a better option, but until you can swing that, I wouldn't be overly stressed about it. Blake's advice above is very good, do what he suggests until you are able to find something more permanent.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am hoping to build a shelter off the back of my garage this summer. I have the attachments in my garage but want the space back. So the plan is to haul in some pea stone, set some corner posts, build a half-wall and roof over it. My standby generator is back there, so I think I can cover all of that and leave it somewhat open on the sides and be fine.

·
Registered
740 Posts
A lean-to off of an existing building is a cheap option that I have used at the past. A couple of posts, two walls, and a roof. Heck, the two walls are even optional! You only need enough headroom to get your blower's chute underneath the eave.

I like to give priority for indoor storage space to things with engines, followed by mechanical implements (mowers, post-hole digger, woodsplitter, etc), and finally basic implements (cultivators, back blade, ripper, etc). Unfortunately I have too have more attachments than space to keep them all inside. My cultivator and Model 51 plow ended up being the ones to stay outside. Before I leave them to sit, I carefully wash the dirt off them and then coat all their bare metal surfaces with marine grade wheel-bearing grease. Even after a year of sitting, the moldboard of the old plow's is still shining.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A lean-to off of an existing building is a cheap option that I have used at the past. A couple of posts, two walls, and a roof. Heck, the two walls are even optional! You only need enough headroom to get your blower's chute underneath the eave.
That is a thought, could add to the back of my wood shed easy enough. and would give me time to come up with a more permanent solution.:good2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts