Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Greg,

I'm coming up on my 50 hour maintenance so I've been reading all the related threads. I've seen one comment suggesting it is easier to work on the transmission hose connection if you remove the 3 point hitch. Hmmm. It's heavy and awkward.

I was thinking about using the HeavyHitch cart to manage it. In other words, insert the cart's arm into the HH receiver of the weight rack, pin it in place, then lower the 3 point so that the cart's wheels are on the ground, but don't unlock the I-match latches. Now the cart is connected to the weight rack / trailer hitch and it's connected to the I match. Now all I have to do is disconnect the 3 point arms and top link and roll everything away. It will be a little more top heavy than with just the weight rack, but the I-match weight should still be essentially between the cart's wheels.

Are you aware of anyone trying this? Will the cart stand up to this weight? I have eight 42 lb suitcase weights on the weight rack. I'm guessing the I-match and arms are about a hundred lbs. And there's the weight of a heavy duty Heavy Hitch weight rack/ trailer hitch. I think this was about 80 lbs.

Thanks for your advice and great products.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Should work just fine!:thumbup1gif: Be sure to have the weights turned away from the tractor if you can to help offset the additional weight on the other side. The cart will handle up to 1200# so you'll be well under that. Be sure and post some pics!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I don't have an I-match but I have the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch, the Heavy Hitch and HH Cart. All Cat 1. While I don't have any suitcase weights on mine yet (I will next week), I basically do this all the time. On my X585 I have to pull the 3pt arms when I use my collection system and normally take them off unless they are needed for the box grader. So what I do is clip on the cart, drop it down till the wheels are on the ground. Then I pull the pins where the 3 pt arms mount to the tractor and toss the pins in the tool box on the tractor. This way I have the Quick Hitch (same thing as your I-match) stored together with my HH as well as the arms are there because it is a PITA to remove them from the QH. The arms are not so heavy to make the cart tippy at all and I keep everything together so stuff doesn't walk off. It is all on the cart so it can be wheeled out of the way. This also makes it easier to hook everything back up when needed. Push it over to the tractor and pop the pins in.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Afterthought

I should have thought of this earlier, but I'm going to put a cable tie on each I-match locking lever to prevent it from being inadvertently operated while the I-match is stored on the cart. I'll bet it would be a big noise and feet would be in danger if somebody operated those latches who didn't understand the consequences.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I should have thought of this earlier, but I'm going to put a cable tie on each I-match locking lever to prevent it from being inadvertently operated while the I-match is stored on the cart. I'll bet it would be a big noise and feet would be in danger if somebody operated those latches who didn't understand the consequences.
Yeah, never thought of putting a zip tie on the locking lever. That would be a good idea. I normally had my cart with all the 3pt stuff in the shop. I have two kids (7-10) and on top of that host my Son's Cub Scout Den quite often as we work on projects out in the shop. So it happens quite often where there are a bunch of 7 year olds working on pinewood derby cars or whatever out there and there are more little fingers around the shop than I have eyes. They haven't messed with it to date but I think if I do this again I will do the zip tie option to secure it better. Cheap insurance. Now that I won't be taking my 3pt hitch off as often, it will be less of an issue.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Stored my I-match with Heavy Hitch

So I stored my I-match using the HH cart and weight rack.

The attached photos show the steps for accomplishing this. It was pretty simple the first time and will only be easier when done again.

I found some releasable/reusable cable ties on Amazon that were perfect for this application.

I decided I wanted a redundant safety system for keeping the I-match attached. I dreamed of having another set of holes in the HH weight rack just below the bottom of the top hook when it is engaged. Putting a pin through these holes would prevent the top hook from disengaging. Since I don't know if this would adversely impact the structural integrity of the HH weight rack and because I don't have the tools to do this easily, I fabricated an inexpensive block to accomplish the same thing.

I know the newspaper bags detract from the appearance, but they'll save me a lot of grease on my clothes as I will no doubt bump into it repeatedly. They also prevent paint damage from metal touching metal.

I'm very pleased with my HH tools and always thought they were well worth the money. And now it's like I get a free bonus of an I-match storage/transport solution. What incredible value! Thanks, Greg.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
So I stored my I-match using the HH cart and weight rack.

The attached photos show the steps for accomplishing this. It was pretty simple the first time and will only be easier when done again.

I found some releasable/reusable cable ties on Amazon that were perfect for this application.

I decided I wanted a redundant safety system for keeping the I-match attached. I dreamed of having another set of holes in the HH weight rack just below the bottom of the top hook when it is engaged. Putting a pin through these holes would prevent the top hook from disengaging. Since I don't know if this would adversely impact the structural integrity of the HH weight rack and because I don't have the tools to do this easily, I fabricated an inexpensive block to accomplish the same thing.

I know the newspaper bags detract from the appearance, but they'll save me a lot of grease on my clothes as I will no doubt bump into it repeatedly. They also prevent paint damage from metal touching metal.

I'm very pleased with my HH tools and always thought they were well worth the money. And now it's like I get a free bonus of an I-match storage/transport solution. What incredible value! Thanks, Greg.

What are those awesome hooks attached to your i-match....? Where did you get them and how do they mount?
Thanks for your input?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Added Hole Pair for Safety Pin

I left in a hurry one day to plow this winter and I forgot to lift my ballast in back. So I was dragging my Heavy Hitch when starting an incline and it needs some new paint on the bottom.

I decided if I was going to take off all the weights and paint it, I would try to add the 2 holes for a safety pin when storing the I-match and tractor arms on the cart. (See post #6 in this thread for discussion.) My initial calculation indicated that I couldn't get the part on my drill press to drill the holes. The structure of the HH would hit the table edge on my press before I could get the bit over the hole location. In my second look, I realized that I could swing the table to the side and get the bit where I needed it. By drilling each side from that side, the drill bit doesn't have to go through the hole on the table. I also had to remove 2 of the levers on the press mechanism, but it just barely all got done.

With the safety pin installed, the I-match cannot be released from the top hook. This replaces the block in post #6.

A drilling template is included in the attached pdf file.

Keane

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello Greg,

I'm coming up on my 50 hour maintenance so I've been reading all the related threads. I've seen one comment suggesting it is easier to work on the transmission hose connection if you remove the 3 point hitch. Hmmm. It's heavy and awkward.

I was thinking about using the HeavyHitch cart to manage it. In other words, insert the cart's arm into the HH receiver of the weight rack, pin it in place, then lower the 3 point so that the cart's wheels are on the ground, but don't unlock the I-match latches. Now the cart is connected to the weight rack / trailer hitch and it's connected to the I match. Now all I have to do is disconnect the 3 point arms and top link and roll everything away. It will be a little more top heavy than with just the weight rack, but the I-match weight should still be essentially between the cart's wheels.

Are you aware of anyone trying this? Will the cart stand up to this weight? I have eight 42 lb suitcase weights on the weight rack. I'm guessing the I-match and arms are about a hundred lbs. And there's the weight of a heavy duty Heavy Hitch weight rack/ trailer hitch. I think this was about 80 lbs.

Thanks for your advice and great products.
I apologize for switching subjects on someone else's thread. I noticed 'Pine Needle Rake' in your signature. I have lots of pine straw. Does it work good? Costs? Did a quick Google search but would rather hear from actual owner vs site trying to sale.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perfecting this storage solution

I've been using the Heavy Hitch storage cart to store my I-match and 3-point arms for well over 2 years now. It is a great solution. I've observed one bit of awkwardness in the process that I've finally addressed.

Along with the left lower arm and the top link, the right lower arm of the 3-point hitch must be disconnected at the tractor end when the 3-point hitch is to be stored. Unfortunately, the rear PTO safety shroud, when raised, has a corner that sticks down and blocks the disconnect action. The solution is to first disconnect this arm at the I-match end, then lower it so that it can clear the shroud and be disconnected at the tractor end. Then it must be reconnected at the I-match end. This arm is heavy, it has 2 appendages (the connector to the right lift arm and the anti-sway turnbuckle) which make it unwieldy, and you have to bend over to lift it. It's hard to do a safe lift while managing this piece. So after doing this many times, I decided to modify the PTO safety shroud to make this a lot easier and faster.

Having worked many jobs involving product and workplace safety, I'm not quick to decide to modify a safety device. However, a good reason to do it is when the safety device is creating another safety hazard. And, if it can be modified without impacting its original function and durability, you can think of it differently: In its new format, it will be protecting against 2 hazards instead of just one. So I got out my hacksaw.

Once when I was removing the right lower arm, I used a felt tip pin to mark the PTO safety shroud where I would need to cut it for the modification. If you look closely in the next picture, you can see these markings. To begin the mod, I removed the PTO safety shroud from the tractor and clamped it to my workbench. Then I used a piece of scrap wood and some clamps to mark the cut I wanted at the corner. I used a hacksaw to carefully start a shallow cut all the way across the corner.

PTO Shield Mod 1.jpg

Once the shallow cut was established, I removed the guide and used an electric sabre saw (with a metal cutting blade) to finish removing the safety shroud's corner.

PTO Shield Mod 2.jpg

With the corner removed, I filed and sanded everything to eliminate any sharp edges. Then I primed and painted the bare places. The safety shroud looked like this:

PTO Shield Mod 3.jpg

With the shroud back on the tractor, there is now adequate clearance to remove or install the lower right arm without touching other painted surfaces.

PTO Shield Mod 4.jpg

PTO Shield Mod 5.jpg

I don't believe that removing this small area of the PTO shroud impacts its strength in any way. And, I tried to put my fingers through the opening created by this mod. With the shroud in the normal (protect) position, I could not reach the PTO through the open corner. In fact, there's other structure of the tractor blocking access through this point. So I concluded that the shroud continues to perform its initial mission and now accommodates the safer method of storing the 3-point hitch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts