Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I ran all gasoline engine equipment until gas tank empty, changed motor oil, clean and lubricated.

I cleaned all battery power equipment, clean and lubricated.

Then stored them in a storage container.

View attachment 712972
Pretty cool!! :good2:

I'm assuming they're military surplus. Care to share where you acquired them?

·
Super Moderator
4,762 Posts

Indeed. I'd love to get ahold of a few of those. I'd bet I could make a really nice generator shed out of one of those.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sorry for the delay.

It made from aluminum. So it is rust free. Weight 480 lbs. each and stackable. it can be folded away to save space while it is not in used. It costed me about $167 each plus time and labor to pick them up at Ft. Bragg, NC. 3 of them are brand new. One is used.

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry for the delay.

It made from aluminum. So it is rust free. Weight 480 lbs. each and stackable. it can be folded away to save space while it is not in used. It costed me about $167 each plus time and labor to pick them up at Ft. Bragg, NC. 3 of them are brand new. One is used.

I also purchased a 3-layer stainless steel water tank. It does not freeze water in the winter. It is new on a pallet. My Gator can pull it around on my property.
Why is the Army getting rid of new equipment? I guarantee they paid more for those items than you did. Our tax dollars at work.

Do they advertise those sales? I'd love to have a couple of the containers, and the water trailer would be cool, too. How much was that?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why is the Army getting rid of new equipment? I guarantee they paid more for those items than you did. Our tax dollars at work.

Do they advertise those sales? I'd love to have a couple of the containers, and the water trailer would be cool, too. How much was that?
I bought the water tank for $500. The government paid $15,000 (new list price).

I think military has to have equipment ready for deployment and its shelf life is 5 years. If it does not deploy, it has to rebuild or recertify. Otherwise, it go to surplus. I bought 2 generators with 2 hours each for $2,400. Basically, they are brand new, just old stock.

My Gator came back from Iraq. I paid $1,800. Replaced motor oil, flushed radiator, flushed diesel, it started right up. 560 hours is very low hours for 2006 model year.

You can check it out at GovPlanet.com.

If the government does not sell as surplus, I don't think I can effort to buy it.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts

I think military has to have equipment ready for deployment and its shelf life is 5 years. If it does not deploy, it has to rebuild or recertify. Otherwise, it go to surplus. I bought 2 generators with 2 hours each for $2,400. Basically, they are brand new, just old stock.

My Gator came back from Iraq. I paid $1,800. Replaced motor oil, flushed radiator, flushed diesel, it started right up. 560 hours is very low hours for 2006 model year.

If the government does not sell as surplus, I don't think I can effort to buy it.
Everything that has a shelf Life is exceeded Trust Me I have seen Boxes Like that rusted to h*ll & re-Painted. The XVIII Airborne Corp(82nd Airborne, 101Airborne, 10th Mountain) gets the Sh*T while the rest of the Army gets the new stuff. We Just got the Better weapons first before the rest of the Army. If I wasn't serving in 10th or 1st Special Forces. I was In the XVIII (18th) Airborne Corp. What actually Happens is as Long as each Unit has the TO&E they get rid of the excess that why You Can get New Equipment & Barely used equipment sometimes Basically everyone Got what there allotted Why we don't Plan On Keeping stores to cover Combat Loses is beyond me. They Last 19 years we finally used up our Vietnam era Produced Ammunition & Explosives where Now On Ammunition & Explosives that were Produced In the 1980's But we Have More M1 & M14 Ammunition still In stores all over the U.S. :laugh::bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Can you post a close up pic of the manufacture's tag on the container? I was able to find some of these on e-bay last night, but now I can't find them. :banghead:

·
Registered
20,824 Posts

Thanks for sharing that - what an awesome site! And there is actually one 116 miles away from me.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Another fine example of government waste. Many times, the equipment has been lightly used or completely unused, and have much serviceability left. However, if it's past the "expiration date", it gets canned for the 'newer and better' piece, and the old one is basically given away (paying $500 for what the government gave 30X more for). Sergeant mentions that there is some stuff used beyond a normal death, and I've seen that, too (USAF for 8 years). Seems, though, evaluations of equipment should be done, and stuff that still has life, or has been unused, should be kept longer.

Oh, well; I mainly asked because I'm about 3 hours drive from Fort Bragg, and I'll check that website to see what the National Guard might be throwing away, too. Those big containers you bought are also used by the USAF, or at least similar ones. During Desert Storm, they had palletized hospitals packed up like that (Air Transportable Hospital, or ATH), could be delivered by C-130 into a rear area and set up by a minimal work group.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Can you post the link, Stan? I'm having trouble finding any of those containers on the site.

THANKS!
I just put “containers” in the search field - then you can narrow down by location in the left menu.

Search Results

Link doesn’t work with the search....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another fine example of government waste. Many times, the equipment has been lightly used or completely unused, and have much serviceability left. However, if it's past the "expiration date", it gets canned for the 'newer and better' piece, and the old one is basically given away (paying $500 for what the government gave 30X more for). Sergeant mentions that there is some stuff used beyond a normal death, and I've seen that, too (USAF for 8 years). Seems, though, evaluations of equipment should be done, and stuff that still has life, or has been unused, should be kept longer.

Oh, well; I mainly asked because I'm about 3 hours drive from Fort Bragg, and I'll check that website to see what the National Guard might be throwing away, too. Those big containers you bought are also used by the USAF, or at least similar ones. During Desert Storm, they had palletized hospitals packed up like that (Air Transportable Hospital, or ATH), could be delivered by C-130 into a rear area and set up by a minimal work group.
I'm not in the military but we do work on military equipment. We get the same expiration dates on a lot of our materials and were allowed to re-certify once to add 6 months of shelf life and in certain situations a second time for an additional 6 months. After that it had to be disposed of. the most ridiculousness one i saw was a quart of ship grip. They put a 1 year shelf life on tiny plastic balls in a sealed steel container.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Everything that has a shelf Life is exceeded Trust Me I have seen Boxes Like that rusted to h*ll & re-Painted. The XVIII Airborne Corp(82nd Airborne, 101Airborne, 10th Mountain) gets the Sh*T while the rest of the Army gets the new stuff. We Just got the Better weapons first before the rest of the Army. If I wasn't serving in 10th or 1st Special Forces. I was In the XVIII (18th) Airborne Corp. What actually Happens is as Long as each Unit has the TO&E they get rid of the excess that why You Can get New Equipment & Barely used equipment sometimes Basically everyone Got what there allotted Why we don't Plan On Keeping stores to cover Combat Loses is beyond me. They Last 19 years we finally used up our Vietnam era Produced Ammunition & Explosives where Now On Ammunition & Explosives that were Produced In the 1980's But we Have More M1 & M14 Ammunition still In stores all over the U.S. :laugh::bigthumb:
Selling unused surplus to the public is fine. The auctioneer sold new/used surplus back to the manufactures in bulks, then the manufactures sold back to military as new parts. This is what I have problem with. IG should look into these practices.

Selling surplus to the public is a lot better than scrap the entire things. Before Obama years, all military surplus go to scrap piles. Since deep recession in 2007/2008, military started selling surplus to the public. Even it got far less than what it bought for but it least it get something back instead of scrap piles. Beside it stimulus the economy, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
For kicks, I just called Wel-Fab to see if they sell this stuff to the general public. Yup, they're happy to do so! And one of these can be bought new for....

:gizmo::gizmo: $6500!! :gizmo::gizmo:

I guess we'll keep watching GovPlanet.com! :laugh:

EDIT: Just to clarify, the $6500 is for the C-130 model. If you look at the tag that badrobot posted, that one is for a C-141. I'm pretty sure that the military has retired the C-141 fleet now. Those boxes are made for specific aircraft and are made to fit in their aisle ways and tie-down systems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts