Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you all store your tractor with bh and fel still attached or is it better to remove them and put lumber under the tires? It will be stored in a garage while I’m enjoying the sun in southern Florida

·
Registered
169 Posts
don't know how a bh is mounted.

I store mine with the front end loader mounted and blade on the rear in case I am at home and we have an appreciable snow. Both blades rest on a piece of wood to eliminate contact with the floor and that takes the weight off the tractor and eliminated the tractor having to try to hold the weight up while static.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I store hydraulic equipment attached and ready to go, and will do so with the tractor this winter. I store several vehicles, boats, yard equipment over the Minnesota winter. IMHO, battery tender at all times while in storage is a must, everything else is optional.

·
Premium Member
12,633 Posts
You Operator’s Manual will have recommendations for storing the tractor.

How many months will you be away?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You Operator’s Manual will have recommendations for storing the tractor.

How many months will you be away?
Hopefully November to April I’m up in Canada and it will be in a unheated and no electrical power garage
Q

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hopefully November to April I’m up in Canada and it will be in a unheated and no electrical power garage
Q
Personally, I wouldn't leave the battery in the tractor all winter with no tender.
I always have my tractor parked on thick rubber stall mats so its not on concrete for extended periods.
I'd also check all fluids and grease the zirks so you have minimal maintenance to do in spring.
I'd place some baits/traps for the rodents as well. Fall and spring are your worry for Mickey and friends.

As mentioned, check your manual as well for Deere specifics.

Reactions: Jamone and Wilkie

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I wouldn't leave the battery in the tractor all winter with no tender.
I always have my tractor parked on thick rubber stall mats so its not on concrete for extended periods.
I'd also check all fluids and grease the zirks so you have minimal maintenance to do in spring.
I'd place some baits/traps for the rodents as well. Fall and spring are your worry for Mickey and friends.

Planned on doing most of that , the rubber mats are a great idea planned on touching up the paintwork as well . Thank you and will say hi to Mickey from this group lol:mocking::mocking:

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
If you can, I always try and keep all hydraulic cylinders fully retracted. That will likely mean that you have to leave them on the tractor. I would also try and pull the battery as mentioned.

Reactions: Rush2112

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you all store your tractor with bh and fel still attached or is it better to remove them and put lumber under the tires? It will be stored in a garage while I’m enjoying the sun in southern Florida
My 1025R gets work all year long. In the winter I take off the FEL, iMatch and 3 point hitch; install the 54" Snowblower and it's then ready for winter duty.

·
Premium Member
12,633 Posts
I should have mentioned a caveat on my last post about checking the manual. The folks who wrote the manuals apparently don't know the difference between gasoline and diesel engines.

Here is an excerpt from the 2520 manual:
[h=3]Preparing Fuel and Engine For Storage[/h]Turn on engine and allow to run until it runs out of fuel.

And from a 1025R manual:
[h=4]Fuel:[/h]Leave as little fuel in the fuel tank as possible for the season.
Turn on engine and allow to run until it runs out of fuel.

So... I would be a little leery following the manual's storage instructions verbatim. :dunno:

Reactions: Wilkie

·
Premium Member
12,633 Posts
My 1025R gets work all year long. In the winter I take off the FEL, iMatch and 3 point hitch; install the 54" Snowblower and it's then ready for winter duty.
Right... so that falls under the category of "NOT storing the tractor over winter". :good2:

Reactions: glc

·
Registered
659 Posts
Here's what I'd do in Ontario. I'd fill the tank so it doesn't have room for condensation, make sure it's all lubed. I'd put a piece of plywood under each outrigger and the FEL and extend them to take the weight off the tires and put a wooden block or series of blocks under the frame and release the pressure on the FEL and BH so the weight is on the blocks. If I was afraid of someone trying to pilfer it I would take the battery out of the tractor and store it somewhere else. If I couldn't use a battery tender on the battery I'd get a small solar panel/battery charger to keep it topped up. Lock it up and enjoy your vacation!

·
Premium Member
12,633 Posts
Are you saying don’t run it dry of fuel?
Never run a diesel out of fuel if you can help it. Even though the fuel systems on the smaller JD tractors are self priming, never run them out of fuel.

Reactions: Wilkie

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a 2011 model 2320. My winter storage routine is as follows. I remove the FEL in late October, service the tractor with new filters, oil and grease. I re-install the soft-side cab and model 47 snow blower. I then park it in my neighbor's heated back garage with the understanding that he will take it out frequently and exercise it based on when Mother Nature says it needs to be exercised. He will typically drive it up and down his driveway and mine several times and remove what Mother Nature dropped off overnight. Once this is ready for the season I load my goldwing trike and wife's car in our enclosed trailer, hook it up to our diesel pusher motorhome and head to Arizona for about 4 months.

·
Premium Member
12,633 Posts
Just for clarification, STORING a machine typically means that it will sit dormant for x-number of months.

If it will be started, used or otherwise maintained during that period it is not in “storage”.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts