Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 Questions:
  1. What are some good recommendations for storing old wood?
  2. How do you keep pests (ants, termites, hornets, mud daubers) away? Spray around the area with permethrin?

I have removed many sections of 3-board wood fence that are still fine (both posts and rails), along with an entire large tack shed, telephone poles... I want to store much of it for future use. Currently I used two of the posts to store the board off the ground on a concrete pad (covered in a open-air shed w/ roof about 15' above it). My concerns are keeping it from rotting and keeping pests from ruining it. Ants are quite a problem on my property. Any suggestions you have are most welcome. I do not plan to woodwork with this stuff, but may add back in as fencing somewhere later or use it for other project (e.g. my wife wants a dog grooming table built in the barn to shave our 100-pound Bouvier).

Maybe I can sell some of it to all the city folks who watch too much HGTV. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Keeping it off the ground and dry will be very helpful (as you've described you've done). Stickering it might not be a bad idea as well to keep the all surfaces of the wood evenly exposed to the air in the area so you don't have uneven moisture buildup.

Stickering is using thin cut strips between each level of boards to allow airflow on all edges. Google Image Search of Sitckering

I'm not a good source for insect repellent however, I'm sure others will chime in.

Reactions: Dr_Data
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.