Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally am done with the moving of logs around after a tornado last Summer.
I have loaded 49 trailers of wood so far.
That's approx. 75 cords of logs.

I have been cutting the fallen trees to 8 ft lengths, hauling them out of the woods, stacking them along the driveway or loading them right on a trailer.

I have been giving the logs away for free to about 1/2 dozen different people for a small "loading" fee.

I still have some along the driveway but I'm sure they will be gone within a week.

Its been about 6 months of work.

here is some pictures.

P9190227.JPG
Some of the piles and a loaded trailer at the far end.

P9190228.JPG
Loaded trailer

P9190235.JPG
Pulling a log out of the woods

P8230210.JPG
Blown over and bent over trees that I was cleaning up. I cleaned up about 4-6 acres of this stuff.

P8230219 (1).JPG
Another loaded trailer.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P8180205.JPG
Now its on to chipping a bunch of brush piles.
I use the chips to cover trails.
It amazing how much nice chipped trails are, a lot less "rocking and rolling" when driving on them.

P9190236.JPG
new trail in the woods not yet chipped or beaten down very heavily.

P9190237.JPG
Chipped and heavily used trail that's a veritable Autobaun for tractors.:laugh:

Now I have a bunch of trails in my woods which make smy wife very happy as she can now walk in the woods and not fight her way thru.
She is a city girl after all.
Here's a picture of her on her baby Deere just cause.
P9190241.JPG

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Thats a whole bunch of wood.

You been busy.

What species of tree? ..they all look nearly the same ( the log piles)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P9190239.JPG
rocks that I pulled from the trails and used to finish a rock wall that I built.

P9190238.JPG
more rocks that I pulled from the trail with a grapple.
They are about 1 1/2-2 ft in dia.
Hard to believe how big a small stone sticking out in the trail is until you pull it out.
There have been a few that I couldn't get out, those stay and end up being a speed bump.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a whole bunch of wood.

You been busy.

What species of tree? ..they all look nearly the same ( the log piles)
Aspen or Popple depending upon where your from

Specifically Big tooth Aspen and Quaking Aspen.

occasionally I'd throw in a soft maple or ash.
The good stuff I keep and make into 8 x 8 stacks of logs for firewood to be cut into lengths and split later.
I have no room now for more firewood.
I have 3 years worth split and stacked under cover.
and 11 of the 8 x 8 x about 5 ft tall alternately stacked piles. enough for another 4 years approx.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
There have been a few that I couldn't get out, those stay and end up being a speed bump.
We had a rock like that in the yard. It was no bigger than a dinner plate sitting upsidedown in the grass. When they got done digging the foundation the excavator operator asked if there were any rocks or stumps I wanted pulled I pointed him toward what turned out to be this beast.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
That's a ton of work! You've done a great job with it!! :good2:

Do you already have a chipper?

EDIT: Of course you have a chipper because you're making chips to put on the trails!! :banghead: Sorry - I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee this morning. What kind of chipper are you using?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a ton of work! You've done a great job with it!! :good2:

Do you already have a chipper?

EDIT: Of course you have a chipper because you're making chips to put on the trails!! :banghead: Sorry - I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee this morning. What kind of chipper are you using?
I have a woodmaxx 8800.
Just got it this summer, put in 9 hrs on it already and made about 16 yards of chips.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We had a rock like that in the yard. It was no bigger than a dinner plate sitting upsidedown in the grass. When they got done digging the foundation the excavator operator asked if there were any rocks or stumps I wanted pulled I pointed him toward what turned out to be this beast.

The excavator that put in my driveway told me about finding a rock while digging a foundation for his cabin.

He kept digging around it till it got to be so big there was no way of moving it. He said it was about as big as a pickup truck.

So I asked him what he did about the foundation at that point.

His answer, "move the cabin".

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having a grapple must have been priceless for all that work!
Yep, no doubt.

The right tool for the job and all that.

Its why I say for working in the woods a Grapple is the way to go.

I can't imagine how much longer things would of took if all I had was forks.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I have a woodmaxx 8800.
Just got it this summer, put in 9 hrs on it already and made about 16 yards of chips.
Those WoodMaxx US made machines are nice! I have the 9900. If it will fit through the intake throat, it'll chip it!

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The excavator that put in my driveway told me about finding a rock while digging a foundation for his cabin.

He kept digging around it till it got to be so big there was no way of moving it. He said it was about as big as a pickup truck.

So I asked him what he did about the foundation at that point.

His answer, "move the cabin".
A buddy is building a cabin up at Lutsen on the North Shore and they hit a rock like that. They blasted into it I guess and made it part of the foundation.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Lots of work

You have done an amazing amount of work, congratulations.

It seems a shame that you couldn't sell the wood for more than a "loading fee".

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
9,120 Posts

Treefarmer
I'm with Treefarmer. That's way too much work for a 'loading fee'. Dude, you should have made enough to pay for your grapple at least.
Depends on the priority of how fast you want it gone and what the competition is.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
That's one heck of a load of wood you had there! I agree that you could probably have made some more money than what you charged.... Nice work though...…!

Sincerely

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Treefarmer
I've tried in the past, started at $50/cord loaded and ended up dropping it to $25/cord (8ft logs). No takers.

1) Trouble is its Popple/Aspen.
It has little value around here.

No markets for pulp unless you truck it, too expensive.

Poor firewood, lots of quality hardwood around.

I also wanted it gone, I didn't want to stack it up and wait.

2) Another dynamic, when you sell something most get a whole different attitude/mindset than when its free. When its for sale, the customer is always right, they feel than can call the shots. When its free I call the shots and they know it. I don't like your trailer and how you want me to load it, either get a different trailer so I can load it the way I want or don't come back. End result is they get a different trailer.:laugh:

I finished up this weekend at 59 trailer loads or approx. 90 cords.

Only people that want it are people with OWB's. They are mostly do it yourself kind of people, they will split, haul, saw and scrounge wood of any and all sorts to burn. Pallets, rotting logs that are punky all the way thru, construction site scrap and drops/scrap from manufacturers that use wood and old chicken coops that have 1/2 dozen coats of paint on the outside and 4 inches of poop on the inside as long as its free. But pay any significant amount, no way.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Serious question;

With that amount of damage and required cleanup....did you get any help from ins. co. or ?

I'm not saying you should or should not....Thats just a huge job and seems like a loss of crop or whatever.

Firewood sales up here are in the tank...the few that burn generally find wood for free or near nothing. Most have switched to pellets or gas... I've got tons of wood ..Bought a sawmill. Just don't wanna deal with the mess ,bugs , work and storage
involved with burning wood. Sure I'd like a warm shop but heating an all ceder 30x90 shop with wood is unthinkable to me.
Perhaps an outdoor stove and some creative plumbing is an option but I'm not starting a fire inside it.
Back to your deal...just seems like a huge loss ..time ,work and the loss of trees..so I'm curious if any help was /is an option for at least replanting or anything.
Your thoughts if you feel like sharing.

td

1 - 20 of 25 Posts