Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother recently picked up a Kioti CS2210. The manual that comes with it is very sparse. The loader manual gives no ballast advice at all.

So I turned to some of the on-line Kioti forums to see what folks are using and what the recommendations are. The overwhelming consensus is that the tractor requires no 3PH ballast. Especially if you have some wheel weights or filled tires.

The CS2210 is about the same size and weight as a JD 1-series and as we know the JD manuals recommend about 600 lb. of 3PH ballast.

Here are some of the responses:

"A heaping bucket of dirt....no ballast needed. A bucket of stone...wouldn't hurt...but not necessary. I guess Kioti took effort to make sure that our tractors are well balanced, and that the bucket remains close to the machine. I'll telling you, if you can lift it, you can safely move it (on flat ground). "

"There is no recommended ballast. You can easily pick-up 400-500 pounds without ballast and travel with it provided you're on mostly flat ground. "

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Absolutely wrong....ballast required with all loader usage I would go for around 500 lbs

·
Premium Member
5,094 Posts
Is that the same guy with the rops hanging over his backhoe?

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
60 Posts
Before my deere, I had that exact tractor with loader and mmm. I left a box blade with a few steel plates on it totaling around 500 pounds. Keep in mind that the lift capacity of that loader is not what a 1 series is. the few years I had it I learned that it was a great mower and to move trailers around yard. loader was very lacking....

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Is Kioti the brand with the iron transmission/rear end cases (or is that Mahindra) vs. aluminum on most others? I don't think that would amount to 500lbs of ballast, but maybe that's the difference?
Physically, that wouldn't take the loader weight off the front axle, but maybe it was designed to not need any weight off the axle? I kind of doubt it though, a lot of the development money is in engineering, and having a budget brand engineer a feature like that is unlikely.

·
Super Moderator
6,098 Posts
Kioti doesn't appear to think much of ballast.

From the CK20 Operator's manual:

"REAR BALLAST
Weight should be added to the rear
wheels only if it is needed to improve
traction or stability. The amount of weight
should directly correspond to the job at
hand and should be removed when n
needed.
The weight should be added to the trac-
tor in the form of liquid ballast, rear wheel
weights or both.
"

But then again... In the CS2410 brochure they mention that if you use the SL2410 loader, they recommend you add 1,055 lbs of counter ballast.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that the same guy with the rops hanging over his backhoe?
That WAS a Kioti tractor but it is just a posting I saw on Facebook. :)

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kioti doesn't appear to think much of ballast.

But then again... In the CS2410 brochure they mention that if you use the SL2410 loader, they recommend you add 1,055 lbs of counter ballast.
The CS2210 is only rated for 700 lbs. on the 3PH.

·
Super Moderator
6,098 Posts
The CS2210 is only rated for 700 lbs. on the 3PH.
Yeah. Note that I referenced what Kioti recommends for the 2410. Not the 2210.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I believe the simplest analogy is a teeter totter. The rear wheels are the pivot point. The bucket and front axle provide the load on the front of the teeter totter. Rear 3 point ballast provides the balancing load on the rear end of the teeter totter. Take the rear ballast away, and there is nothing to lift the weight off the front axle, regardless of how much weight is on the rear tires which is the pivot point between the front and the rear. We've had this discussion here before, but all the tire ballast in the world is not going to lift the weight off the front axle. Liquid ballast and rear wheel weights are fantastic for improving traction and stability, but will not take weight off the front axle. They will also help the tractor lift the weight in the bucket, but will do nothing to reduce the potentially damaging load on the front axle. In addition, rear 3 point ballast will also improve traction and stability at the rear tires. Unless the front axle is built as heavy duty as the rear axle, it needs the rear ballast to prevent the front end loader from damaging it. I'd rather spend my money on 3 pt ballast than repairing front axle components.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,968 Posts
Kioti took effort to make sure that our tractors are well balanced, and that the bucket remains close to the machine
This sounds like a typical FB poster.
Deere does better than anyone else.
Honestly I wish Deere would give us a little more reach with FEL attachments, especially on the 220R loaders

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Honestly I wish Deere would give us a little more reach with FEL attachments, especially on the 220R loaders
I always admire how close the Deere buckets are but get what you mean. My bobcats is close and when loading the trailer inside of a peak in the middle I have two, one on each side. I would rather have lift capacity over reach though.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,968 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in the process of buying a new tractor w/ loader.

We are leaning towards 1025r due to MSL. I've rented enough dirt movers to know how much dirt I end up wearing at the end of the day when I'm tired. Heck, just not having to manage the curl will cut down on fatigue. I'm glad to have watched the GWT and TTWT videos, they seem to have given me realistic expectations for the loader and alerted me to obvious design flaws. The curl is very disappointing. The weight capacity appears to not be as advertised.

If not for the MSL, we would be buying the Kioti CS2220. It has a smaller footprint than the 1025r with greater lift capacity. It is also $6K cheaper.

The reason I'm sharing is that while the Kioti dealer is recommending ballast weight for the CS2220, the JD dealer is not. When I questioned why he didn't include rear ballast for the 1025r, he said that the 1025r is designed so well that it doesn't need anything more than the fluid filled tires. weird and ironic given the discussion here.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,796 Posts
The reason I'm sharing is that while the Kioti dealer is recommending ballast weight for the CS2220, the JD dealer is not. When I questioned why he didn't include rear ballast for the 1025r, he said that the 1025r is designed so well that it doesn't need anything more than the fluid filled tires. weird and ironic given the discussion here.
Absolutely incorrect. The 120R loader manual specifies 758 lbs of rear hitch ballast as a minimum.

Deere and their dealers need to do a better job with this...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts