Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever been called on the phone:cell:and said ur Windows license is up?

is there such a thing??

i think its just a scam for :gizmo:

what can anyone tell me about this license stuff? thanks!:dunno:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
SCAM:nunu:

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SCAM:nunu:
:lol: yeah i thought that too-but these crooks are really getting creative--this was a woman on a pre-recorded message-and let me tell uns--she had one smooth voice-sexy i guess is what a fella would call it:laugh:

a couple yrs ago-i had some guy who sounded like a middle eastern voice call me for a dozen times-telling me my windows was messing up. i told him to go get a real job even if it was only flipping burgers-instead of trying to con people out of their money-crooks-he hung up on me that day.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
:lol: yeah i thought that too-but these crooks are really getting creative--this was a woman on a pre-recorded message-and let me tell uns--she had one smooth voice-sexy i guess is what a fella would call it:laugh:

a couple yrs ago-i had some guy who sounded like a middle eastern voice call me for a dozen times-telling me my windows was messing up. i told him to go get a real job even if it was only flipping burgers-instead of trying to con people out of their money-crooks-he hung up on me that day.:laugh:
I think maybe I'll have Christy call you, and tell you that your John Deere license has expired. You cannot use your tractor again until you pay us! :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
has anyone ever been called on the phone:cell:and said ur Windows license is up?

is there such a thing??

That's an old scam.

The current one I've been getting is the "You paid us for Windows support 2 months ago and we're calling to run a scan on your computer to make sure it's clear of malware..."

Oh? Well if I signed up then what's my name? What do you mean you don't know? :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
I think maybe I'll have Christy call you, and tell you that your John Deere license has expired. You cannot use your tractor again until you pay us! :laugh:
SHHHHHHH!!!!!! I hope ColonyPark doesn't see this. He pays me well. :unknown: Monthly.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Definitely a scam..... There are so many out there today, it is maddening. I keep getting the same call every day or two that starts out as a recording, so I just let them run on and they will leave me a short voice mail msg. After checking the voice mail and confirming it is the same scam, I block the number. The problem is, they are spoofing phone numbers and the call comes in from a bunch of different numbers. However, I can now see that at least some of the calls are showing up as blocked, so maybe I am making progress.

Dave

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

is there such a thing??

These people are coming out of the woodwork again, I get these all the time, along with one that my Apple Icloud account has been breached (don't even use Apple) and of course the never-ending auto warranties offers. New scams around here lately are someone claiming to be soliciting for some law enforcement agency, all local agencies say they never solicit by phone. We get more scam calls than legit ones any more, I just hang up as soon as they start their spiel, also block the number but they just get another one.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Ha! The same automated idiot just called back again and now wants me to call them because they've been "forced to shut down the company". I'm supposed to call to get my "refund" for the tech support I never paid for. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Do you folks have caller ID? Why answer the phone if it number you don’t know?

I’ve been using Nomorobo for a couple years now which works great - and free for VoIP phones.
In my area, the numbers show up on caller ID as local numbers. Some of the numbers are my clients numbers.

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Ignoring CallerID numbers you don't know doesn't work well when people like healthcare outfits are trying to get ahold of you.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my area, the numbers show up on caller ID as local numbers. Some of the numbers are my clients numbers.

yeah-this is what's happening here too. :banghead:

someone said about the extended warranties for cars.:laugh: after over 100 calls for our Honda Pilot-they have quit now at 106-i think. definity over 100 for sure-as i marked them down on a tablet. maybe i just pee-owed them fellas off to good:mocking:

i had a lot of fun with them--now i kinda miss em---NOT.:lol::munch:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,419 Posts

is there such a thing??

Scam BigJim, had one like that a few months ago, some Chinese fellow pretending to be from Microsoft, can't repeat here what I told the
little @#$%&!, but sailors would have been taking notes and applauding. :lol:

BTW, I think these folks need to hear about your trips with the little UFO guys. :thumbup1gif: :laugh:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Yes, they spoof local numbers here and even some company names. I have Directv and I get scammers calling where they show up as AT&T or Directv in caller ID.

Ignoring CallerID numbers you don't know doesn't work well when people like healthcare outfits are trying to get ahold of you.
This is another problem here as lots of times someone in a doctor's office, someone working for a business I have called, or others where I have called their business number, will return a call on their personal cellphone, which shows up as "Out of area" or "Unknown caller" which keeps me from not answering if I don't recognize the number in caller ID. It's a no-win situation.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Yes, they spoof local numbers here and even some company names. I have Directv and I get scammers calling where they show up as AT&T or Directv in caller ID.

This is another problem here as lots of times someone in a doctor's office, someone working for a business I have called, or others where I have called their business number, will return a call on their personal cellphone, which shows up as "Out of area" or "Unknown caller" which keeps me from not answering if I don't recognize the number in caller ID. It's a no-win situation.

I have begun ignoring calls due to the proliferation of scam calls, especially if it is not my area code. I figure that if it is important, they will leave me a voice mail and then I can call them back. I then add them to my contact list so I will recognize them next time. When the majority of your calls are scam calls, you have to take extra measures.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
We just got a car warranty notice for my wife’s aunt yesterday. She died 8 years ago at 104. The last car she bought was an 1974 AMC hornet.

They even had some repairs she supposedly had done in 2015 on it and how much it cost. I should have kept that, some of the electronic parts it mentioned didn’t exist in 74.

Apparently there are still car repairs waiting for us in heaven but don’t worry you can get a warranty. Of course they mail it to you on earth and if your relatives don’t pay for it you must have to get a job. I hope not, she was a sweet lady.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
The only legitimate phone calls we get are from health care providers - the local hospital for pre-regristratiom of upcoming tests, doctor offices for appointment reminders and most importantly communication with test results, and stuff like that.

They all come up properly on our caller ID. If it would happen they don’t, just let it go to voice mail and call them back. In fact there are times when both of us can’t get to the phone in time before the voice mail kicks in. It’s not a big deal at all to have the voice mail pick it up and call them back.

People seem to be obsessed with answering their cell phones. A couple months ago sitting in the truck while Mrs. C was doing the grocery shopping - a young woman carrying an infant and a couple small grocery bags was walking across the parking lot to her car. Her phone rang and she went into a scramble to answer it - I honestly thought she was going to drop her baby. What the heck compels people to do that? If you can’t answer it that second you can call them back in a minute after you get to your car.

And people who answer their phone while in the rest room - really?

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use an app on my cell phone called Hiya. It's free and eliminates about 90% of those calls.
:dunno:thanks for the info about a cell phone--but i got the same problem coaltrain does where he lives-no cell phone reception here either. i guess, should of drove around first to see just where we had cell phone reception-huh:laugh::banghead:and bought the ground there to live instead.
they have installed several towers in the area over the yrs, but........just doesn't do us a bit of good. now if we drive just a 1/4 mile down the hollar-then we would have reception-but thanks for trying to help me out:good2::good2:
Scam BigJim, had one like that a few months ago, some Chinese fellow pretending to be from Microsoft, can't repeat here what I told the
little @#$%&!, but sailors would have been taking notes and applauding. :lol:

BTW, I think these folks need to hear about your trips with the little UFO guys. :thumbup1gif: :laugh:
:laugh:ahh-----that was yrs ago now-OC. u know i just wish them little fellas would of left me in better health.:nunu::nunu:with all there testing they done-they could of fixed all my ailments before they showed up for me--the least they could of done---right:unknown::lol:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts