Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received plow adapter yesterday and had it mounted in short time. Wonderful quality product that fit like a glove. I'm ready for Minnesota snow. In the plastic wrapped components I found 2 brass looking identical odd shaped parts. I've read instructions 3 times looking for install reference with no luck. I don't see them listed on contents either. Where do they go? And second question. With adjusting the solid link. We are told to adjust for proper angle. What angle are we setting it for ? I assumed we want the blade true vertical. So I used a carpenter square set on floor and set angle so top leading plow edge and bottom cutting edge both nearly touch the vertical of the square. Is this clear as mud? What is the "Proper Angle" Lastly, should the skid plate and rubber squeegee meet together at floor . Or maybe lift the rubber above the skid slightly. Your instruction on installing the rubber cutting edge says "the existing hardware is not reused" I'm wondering if it should state to use new included fasteners. I was confused for a moment and looked at pictorial to confirm we do need to reuse the cutting edge. But I'm old and get confused easily.

·
Administrator
17,319 Posts
I am unsure about these strange parts, try posting a picture and/or calling Chris to find out what they are for. It sounds like you set the angle correctly to me, that's how most plows are setup. Where exactly the rubber edge sits can vary depending on the surface or plowing, if it's smooth then set it to touch, if its gravel then have the skids touching so the rubber edge doesn't push the gravel away.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have phrased my parts concern more precisely. I should have stated! I received these 2Gizmo's. Where do thy go? LoL Thanks for replies, Hopefully Chris will jump in at some point. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is pic of the Gizmo part. I don't know how to do this. Hope it works. Dan

·
Super Moderator
4,897 Posts

They show that part (but painted black) as a part of the kit on their WWW site. I was never sure what they were for and assumed they were stops to prevent the adapter from sliding side-to-side on the rails.

·
Administrator
17,319 Posts
They are used to lock the plow adapter onto the fork carriage. They somehow engage into the detent notches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
613 Posts
Look a lot like a depth gauge, placed under the plow on concrete then removed. But Bill Berger is probably correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The mystery marches on ! I had the same idea Kenny. I couldn't find spacing where that might work. Besides, Chris provides 2 about 9/16 drilled pins with washers and spring clips. They are placed thru the adapter and a frame notch? One on each side of adapter. It's totally secure mounting. Keep thinking !

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Well I guess right about now I'm lookin pretty stupid. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,897 Posts

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
As far as the vertical angle , I have found that having the top of the plow slightly further forward than the plow wear bar , I get better roll out of the snow with the plow angled and less snow over the top of the plow when plowing deeper snow falls.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
As far as the vertical angle , I have found that having the top of the plow slightly further forward than the plow wear bar , I get better roll out of the snow with the plow angled and less snow over the top of the plow when plowing deeper snow falls.
I so agree. :thumbup1gif:

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Received plow adapter yesterday and had it mounted in short time. Wonderful quality product that fit like a glove. I'm ready for Minnesota snow. In the plastic wrapped components I found 2 brass looking identical odd shaped parts. I've read instructions 3 times looking for install reference with no luck. I don't see them listed on contents either. Where do they go?
They are an experimental alternative to using the clevis pins, washers, and hairpins being included for free for the time being. There should have been a document included with the other instructions illustrating their use. If you don't have the document and would like it, I can send a copy to you. Here is the crux of their usage:

Add-On Adapter Key Lock Install 1bw.jpg Add-On Adapter Key Lock Install 2bw.jpg Add-On Adapter Key Lock Install 3bw.jpg

They will allow the attachment to move back and forth a bit but it shouldn't even be noticeable when you are plowing. For those who don't care for this, just use the clevis pins. I personally used a set of these keys through the winter last year without an issue.

And second question. With adjusting the solid link. We are told to adjust for proper angle. What angle are we setting it for ? I assumed we want the blade true vertical. So I used a carpenter square set on floor and set angle so top leading plow edge and bottom cutting edge both nearly touch the vertical of the square. Is this clear as mud? What is the "Proper Angle"
No, when adjusting the solid link, the instructions clearly (in bold) state "Both the cutting edge and plow wear skids should be touching the ground." Proper angle is a later reference to this statement.

Even still, once you start using the system you may find that you will need to fine tune it slightly. If the blade is tripping too much, lean the plow back by moving the pin one hole back. If you find that the blade is digging in and/or wheels are coming up move the pin one hole forward (lean the blade forward). When you first start using the system, you might have to make minor adjustments to get it just right but it should literally take less than 10 minutes of plowing time. Keep in mind that you may need to adjust the skid shoes for the blade as well.

Lastly, should the skid plate and rubber squeegee meet together at floor . Or maybe lift the rubber above the skid slightly.
Well, there's a balance of getting the cutting edge to do its job and using the skid shoes to prevent premature wear. Obviously if the skid shoes are too low, you'll leave snow behind. In case you would like to review the 54 blade owners manual to better understand the blade in general, OMM147110_I2

Your instruction on installing the rubber cutting edge says "the existing hardware is not reused" I'm wondering if it should state to use new included fasteners. I was confused for a moment and looked at pictorial to confirm we do need to reuse the cutting edge. But I'm old and get confused easily.
The instructions state "Remove the existing metal cutting edge from the plow blade. The existing hardware is not reused. Install the Artillian Cutting Edge according to one of the graphics below." whereupon it shows two different methods of installation using two different configurations of hardware. :dunno: I'm not sure how this can be any clearer.

I hope all of this helps. Thanks for sharing your questions.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The key is a neat piece of engineering. Very tricky, but functional. I've already installed them. They will work perfectly. Thanks, Dan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts