Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a strange problem. My JD 170 Lawn Tractor quit moving. Naturally I thought it was the transmission. It is a Peerless transmission. So I removed the transmission and didn't even have to open it. Everything worked!??? So I put the transmission back on my jacked up tractor. I tested it without the wheels on and all seemed normal. Then I put the left wheel on, the one with the axle key. I started the tractor. The wheel and axle were free wheeling in any gear. The problem was back. I tried the other axle with the same result. Wheel off, all is normal. Wheel on with the key in place.... the axle is free wheeling. Any ideas?

Mac

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,319 Posts
Hello,
I have a strange problem. My JD 170 Lawn Tractor quit moving. Naturally I thought it was the transmission. It is a Peerless transmission. So I removed the transmission and didn't even have to open it. Everything worked!??? So I put the transmission back on my jacked up tractor. I tested it without the wheels on and all seemed normal. Then I put the left wheel on, the one with the axle key. I started the tractor. The wheel and axle were free wheeling in any gear. The problem was back. I tried the other axle with the same result. Wheel off, all is normal. Wheel on with the key in place.... the axle is free wheeling. Any ideas?

Mac
While on the jack(wheels removed).
Rotate one axle by hand in one direction.
The other axle should rotate in the opposite direction.

If that works, apply resistance to try and stop the rotation with the other hand.

If the other axle does not rotate, there is a problem in the differential.

Possibly a damaged bevel gear, or axle splines. See photo below.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts