Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone else has had this happen. Other day I was out moving snow, doing a lot of that lately. My oil pressure light flickered on, went out for awhile, then came on steady. I shut the tractor down, started checking for leaks, and then checked other levels like radiator, hydro to see if something had leaked into the oil to thin it out. Everything was as it should be. (Had checked all levels prior to starting up for the day, too.) Found nothing wrong. Started it up the next day and carefully watched it run for half an hour, no pressure light, so back out to move snow I went. After about 10 minutes the pressure warning light came on again and I shut her down. Went through the tech manual and found the list of what to do. Besides oil level (the obvious) it tells how to check the pressure sensor. OK, I could do that except for the wire you need to disconnect to run the ohm test is blocked by a pipe and I didn't want to cut/spice the wire back together. OK, another thing it lists is change the oil filter. Well, I always change fluids/filters way before the JD recommended time frames. In many years of CUT ownership I have never had that be an issue either. But I had a filter on hand so I thought why not. Now, after 15hrs run time and all is well. Just got done changing the oil and filter out again to be safe. Anyone else have this happen? By the way, oil and filters are all genuine JD.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't think about that. I'll retrieve it and see what I find. Poured the oil out and it looked normal. Maybe I can put a magnet in it before I cut into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
That should tell you if it was plugged or if there was a defect. If its full of (something) it might give you an idea of a future problem. Take pictures and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll investigate and post. Seemed odd since this tractor only has 200+ hrs and was on its' 2nd change and filter. Starting to suspect a faulty filter but only the autopsy will tell.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did oil filter autopsy. Like any good pathologist I took a slice at a time. First I dumped remaining oil that was in it and ran a strong magnet through it-nothing. Put the magnet down inside the filter, again nothing on it. After cutting through the various parts I'm still baffled by what the problem may have been because everything looks OK. Not a defective filter nor was there anything on the element except oil. Probably will remain a mystery but if something like this happens to any of you maybe this will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does help knowing that the magnet test was negative. I've put another 8 hrs on moving snow around since changing out oil/filter and all is still fine. No springs in there, just what's in the pic. That filter splitter tool looks like it might be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Just looking at your picture I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as the problem. It would apear you have a nice pile of contaminates there. Personally I think you did find your problem that is why you haven't seen any flashing lights lately. Thanks for the info. it is good to know.:thumbup1gif:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.