Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing 600 hr service on my 2013 1025r. The vent plug on front axle is stripped. First by a 4mm allen key, then by a Grabit stripped bolt remover bit--which was so hard it basically just shaved away any part of the screw that I could've tried to grab onto lol.

(talking about part no. 20 in this diagram, https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/61723/referrer/navigation/pgId/141081528)

I do have replacement vent plugs already, assuming I can get this out without affecting the threads in the housing, I'm good...

Any ideas for getting this thing out? The other side came out fine once I cleaned it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! my concern is that these are small (4mm hex) screws. the grabit bit I used is similar to those one you pictured--and it was overpowered and just shaved up the part I'm trying to remove! is there something different about those ones you pictured there that will help mitigate that problem?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Is this a simple allen head set srew with tapered pipe thread......Trying to picture whats left to work with.

·
Registered
2021 2038r MSL
52 Posts
Is there enough to get a punch on the edge to get it turning? Not driving toward the threads of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
16,977 Posts
this is what's left.
Apply a generous amount of grease to a drill bit. Drill it through, then use the Easy Out.

Grabits are meant for use in removing screws with stripped screw heads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank
Apply a generous amount of grease to a drill bit. Drill it through, then use the Easy Out.

Grabits are meant for use in removing screws with stripped screw heads.
thank you, i'll grab an Easy Out

my concern with drilling through is that if you look at the parts diagram (or if you look down into the axle housing when you have the vent plug out as I did on the other side) you see that there is a major piece of your axle's gearing right under this tiny screw that is only about 6mm long. if you drill through, you drill into that expensive drivetrain part. then maybe you need to rebuild the axle :(

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
thank

thank you, i'll grab an Easy Out

my concern with drilling through is that if you look at the parts diagram (or if you look down into the axle housing when you have the vent plug out as I did on the other side) you see that there is a major piece of your axle's gearing right under this tiny screw that is only about 6mm long. if you drill through, you drill into that expensive drivetrain part. then maybe you need to rebuild the axle :(
I know you want to remove the plug and I realize the manual says to but in my opinion the risk of getting metal shavings in the housing is not worth the reward of having it vent while you fill it. You could fill the axle up, drive around some then let it sit overnight, check fluid level, correct as needed. In a couple days check it again and add if needed. Just my 2 cents. Also, if I was determined to remove it I would put a 3/8 nut over whats left and reach down in the nut with a mig welder and weld the nut to the plug. between the heat and weld it will probably turn right out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you get vice grips or a set of pliers on the top of the plug? I ask because I experienced the same issue a year ago. Careful with pressure from the tool not to crush whats left of the plug. Worked for me, YMMV :). Patience with pressure while turning is key!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Did you try an american sae allen wrench...

Find one that fits tight and drive it in...you may get lucky.

I'm guessing it was Metric originally.

If your allen wrenches are worn......slowly sand or grind off an 1/8" or so to get back to an unused area.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I think flyweight is right on with how to fix this. FYI. You probably know but the grease will keep the chips from falling in. The welding would also work but doubt it is needed for this.

On line with what stevenk said. Is there a vent on the other side and are they connected by the axle?

Reactions: trav and flyweight

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 3720. I drilled mine out and used an ez out. If u are worried about hitting something measure the other side and transfer that to the drill bit and put some tape on your bit.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I think flyweight is right on with how to fix this. FYI. You probably know but the grease will keep the chips from falling in. The welding would also work but doubt it is needed for this.

On line with what stevenk said. Is there a vent on the other side and are they connected by the axle?
There is a vent plug on the other side but they really work independently. They vent the steering knuckles on each side so they fill up proper. the vents do help but oil will work down in the knuckles if you're patient.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I'm wondering if some penetrating oil like Kroils should be applied to the threads to make sure things are loosened up before the extraction. You'll want to give the penetrating oil some time to do its job.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
First thing I would try is a 'Hansen' type extractor (aka spline screw extractor) hammered on there and that plug should back out. (don't buy a cheap tool otherwise you'll be faced with extracting the tool bit too)

If that fails then:

Is there enough to get a punch on the edge to get it turning? Not driving toward the threads of course.
This.
If you have never done it before, watch a few videos on the technique. Should have plenty of access and that plug looks large enough that you should be able to avoid the extreme edge and thus not bugger up the threads on the axle side. Air hammer with an appropriate bit would be my choice but the manual method with patience work too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts