Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing 600 hr service on my 2013 1025r. The vent plug on front axle is stripped. First by a 4mm allen key, then by a Grabit stripped bolt remover bit--which was so hard it basically just shaved away any part of the screw that I could've tried to grab onto lol.

(talking about part no. 20 in this diagram, https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/61723/referrer/navigation/pgId/141081528)

I do have replacement vent plugs already, assuming I can get this out without affecting the threads in the housing, I'm good...

Any ideas for getting this thing out? The other side came out fine once I cleaned it...

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! my concern is that these are small (4mm hex) screws. the grabit bit I used is similar to those one you pictured--and it was overpowered and just shaved up the part I'm trying to remove! is there something different about those ones you pictured there that will help mitigate that problem?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank
Apply a generous amount of grease to a drill bit. Drill it through, then use the Easy Out.

Grabits are meant for use in removing screws with stripped screw heads.
thank you, i'll grab an Easy Out

my concern with drilling through is that if you look at the parts diagram (or if you look down into the axle housing when you have the vent plug out as I did on the other side) you see that there is a major piece of your axle's gearing right under this tiny screw that is only about 6mm long. if you drill through, you drill into that expensive drivetrain part. then maybe you need to rebuild the axle :(

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks everyone for your help and input. Wanted to update you all with my solution and leave it here for future owners who encounter the issue.

I tried to drill it out with a Grabit bit. I wasn't having success, probably just my technique. I was using a drill and the bit just kept removing material from the stripped screw/bolt without actually biting in and moving the bolt at all.

I went to the dealer and talked to the service head about my issue. He said when they do front axle changes on these machines (2013 1025r), they don't bother with the vent plugs because they frequently strip and cause the time-consuming problem I'm experiencing. He said just remove all drain plugs, the fill port, and let it sit for 2 hours. It all comes out eventually.

Removing this bolt seemed unnecessary to complete the fluid swap and had high potential to cost lots of time, tractor downtime, and potentially money. I made the decision to do as the dealer does and leave the plugs in, especially because this fluid swap is only performed every 600 hours. With the plugs left in, the fluid drains and fills more slowly, but the job can still be done. It's only in the last quart or so of filling that you start to have overflow issues related to lack of venting. Perhaps you could insert a flexible hose, small diameter, into the fill port as a vent, and fill faster. I used a kitchen fluid measurement cup, 16 oz, to pour extremely slowly compared to using the 1 gal jug the fluid comes in.

My tractor will just live out its days with a vent plug that looks like this on one side, and I'm okay with that:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.