Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an auger I bought used pretty cheap. Just noticed the PTO shaft will not extend or compress. Probably because it was sitting outside for a long time. What can I do to get it moving again?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You can try to spray it with penetration oil. Soak it good, let it sit for a day or longer, then force it together or apart. It’s probably just rusted together. But , take a close look to make sure someone hasn’t bolted or welded it . If you not the original owner or know the person that had it before you anything is possible.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The other thing worth checking is if the PTO shaft is twisted. If the previous suggestions don’t work you could soak it in diesel fuel. When you get the two half shafts apart you might check them for burrs also.

And if all else fails a new PTO shaft should be $60-$150 from Agrisupply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the moment, I can't even figure out how to get the damn plastic shaft shield opened up to look at the actual shaft. There is probably some trick to it I don't know about, but I'm about ready to saw the plastic off out of rage. Nonetheless, how does one properly determine which new replacement shaft from agrisupply to buy?

·
Registered
825 Posts
I believe the new auger pto shafts are 52” long in the closed position. Always order a longer half shaft than needed and cut it to length. You could also double the length of one of your stuck half shafts, add some length.

Also I would not destroy the plastic. Some can be a pita to remove but the plastic shield on an auger pto is important for safety IMO. This is coming from someone who has bypassed and removed all safety features on a brand new tractor.

How to Measure and Cut a Tractor PTO Shaft - YouTube

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm enough of a clutz that I'd never not want that shield on there. I've been around one that had no shielding on anything and I remember thinking "I don't want to be here".

One of my coworkers suggested laying it down and pounding it in with a sledge hammer and block of wood to break the rust loose. Then at the earliest possible convenience, take the shaft apart, wire wheel it, and grease it up heavily. I really want to get some holes dig this weekend so hoping this works.

This what I've got. I'm sure someone is wondering it actually lifts up high enough? Barely. Bit drags on uneven ground. Going to flip the lift arms around this evening to hopefully get a few inches out of it. I don't need it to be much higher. Just enough to move around slowly.

Over the winter, I'd like to get this beast cleaned up, painted, and probably sell it since I won't need it anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
At the moment, I can't even figure out how to get the damn plastic shaft shield opened up to look at the actual shaft. There is probably some trick to it I don't know about, but I'm about ready to saw the plastic off out of rage.
It is simple, You yank the shaft apart and then slide the plastic guard off. :laugh: I suppose it is not that funny, but that is how it comes off.

Al

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is simple, You yank the shaft apart and then slide the plastic guard off. :laugh: I suppose it is not that funny, but that is how it comes off.

Al
That would be great, if the shaft would come apart.... :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope. Well, yes. It's a pipe wrench in the tool box...

·
Registered
64 Posts
PB Blaster works wonders , my pto shaft on my bush hog wouldn't extend . Sprayed the Blaster down inside the shaft and a few hours later it came apart . Just spray it in any place that looks like it'll leak down inside . And maybe it will pull apart like mine .

As far as the pto shaft safety cover , the collar should be the 1st thing you get off then the long shaft portion should come off and a small collar that rides on a ring around the shaft should be last . There tricky trying to figure out how they go together but most usually snap on and you can pry the tabs with a screw driver to get them to come snap out of the holes and slide apart. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I had the same issue with the used PHD I picked up a couple of years ago. Searched YouTube for some solutions. What I ended up doing was securing one end of the shaft to a stout tree and secured the other end to the drawbar on my tractor. Then I pulled! :laugh:

Actually, I put the PTO shaft under some longitudinal tension (by pulling) and smacked the shaft a couple times with a hammer. Kept the tension up, smacked a couple more times and then she slid apart. Greased it up and put it all back together.

Haven't had the PHD on the tractor for about a year now. I guess I should check to make sure the shaft is still freed up just in case I decide to use it. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My first thought was applying heat, but that would necessitate destroying the plastic shield. My next thought is along the lines set forth by mark02tj. I'd avoid beating on it (or anything) with a hammer. It rarely accomplishes what you want and if it does get a it apart, it is usually destroyed from the metal being peened over or stretched out.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I had the same issue with the used PHD I picked up a couple of years ago. Searched YouTube for some solutions. What I ended up doing was securing one end of the shaft to a stout tree and secured the other end to the drawbar on my tractor. Then I pulled!

Actually, I put the PTO shaft under some longitudinal tension (by pulling) and smacked the shaft a couple times with a hammer. Kept the tension up, smacked a couple more times and then she slid apart. Greased it up and put it all back together.

Haven't had the PHD on the tractor for about a year now. I guess I should check to make sure the shaft is still freed up just in case I decide to use it.
That's what i do. Had to do that earlier this year. Guaranteed to work.

Dave

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Been there....tied to tree and tractor.....eased it apart, cleaned and liberally greased.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I had the same issue with the used PHD I picked up a couple of years ago. Searched YouTube for some solutions. What I ended up doing was securing one end of the shaft to a stout tree and secured the other end to the drawbar on my tractor. Then I pulled! :laugh:

Haven't had the PHD on the tractor for about a year now. I guess I should check to make sure the shaft is still freed up just in case I decide to use it. :laugh:
checked it a couple of hours ago. Stuck again!! :banghead: One more thing on the to-do list!!

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Victory is mine! Sledge hammers got it broke loose to shorten, but couldn't extend it beyond where it was stuck. So wrapped a strap around the end, hooked it to the tractor, and made several strategic yanks. The thing weighs so much, I didn't even need to tie it to a tree first.

IMG_20180921_173149_1537574573932.jpg

Then I spent another 45 minutes cursing at the PTO coupler that was all rusted. The little ball thingamjigs were jammed, everything a mess. Lots of PB blaster and a hammer got it functioning as intended.

IMG_20180921_183819_1537574666155.jpg

Tested it by digging the first end post hole next to the shed. Worked beautifully. It's a slight incline so i used some slate to level the machine. Nice and slow as I've been instructed. Caught what sounded like a huge rock and snapped the shear bolt. So that also works properly...

IMG_20180921_185029_1537574697075.jpg

And finally, used the redneck parking stand for the time being.

IMG_20180921_190438_1537574724127.jpg

·
Registered
825 Posts
Glad you won the battle! I have zero patience, I would have punted it and had one shipped overnight.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad you won the battle! I have zero patience, I would have punted it and had one shipped overnight.
The impatient part of me was very very close to doing that. But I restrained myself and decided to wait until I at least tried to get it un-stuck. I also do not know what specifications to select when ordering a new shaft, which is probably a big part of what kept me from doing it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts