Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely visit the Artillian subform, but saw
The spool is probably stuck from lack of use, I’ve written 1000 times that anyone with an electric diverter, SCV, or 3rd function MUST cycle them regularly to keep this from happening. But off my soap box now...
Hadn't come across this before. What frequency is regular? Thinking about my future TnT & plans to have it be removable - anything there to do too?

·
Administrator
20,672 Posts
I do it about every time I use my tractor, just to keep things freed up and happy. Since yours will be sitting on a shelf, I'd visit it and move them around every month or so. You'll be fine. :good2:

·
Administrator
20,672 Posts

·
Administrator
17,948 Posts
Diane,
My comments were mainly directed to those with electrically operated spool and/or diverter valves. With these, the electromagnet sometimes cannot overcome a bit of corrosion or "stickiness" of the spool in the bore, and thus becomes "stuck". Often it's just a matter off actuating the spool manually to get it moving again, or in some cases complete disassembly is needed to clean the corrosion like I showed in THIS POST. I had to polish the spool with #0000 steel wool to get it working again.

With your manual valve, its's less of an issue since you can manually move the spool with greater force than an electromagnet can, plus you have the leverage of the handle to help. Your valve is also new, so I'm sure it lubricated from the manufacturer to keep it safe while in transport. Giving it some milk and cookies probably won't help, but moving the handles every now and then sure won't hurt.

For those with electro-hydraulic spool valves and diverters, CYCLE THEM FREQUENTLY!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diane,
My comments were mainly directed to those with electrically operated spool and/or diverter valves.
Ah, I see. I read your post as "anyone with an (electric diverter), SCV, or 3rd function" instead of what you meant: "anyone with an electric (diverter, SCV, or 3rd function)." Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This should probably be added to the Artillian manual.
Agreed. I just discovered this. I've missed the previous warnings to cycle them, and now playing catch up. Thank you Kenny! Can someone take a step back and help me with a few things?

How frequently should they be cycled? Monthly, semiannually, other?
How do you cycle them manually? Is it just as simple to hook up to the tractor and run it through it's paces?

·
Administrator
17,948 Posts
Agreed. I just discovered this. I've missed the previous warnings to cycle them, and now playing catch up. Thank you Kenny! Can someone take a step back and help me with a few things?

How frequently should they be cycled? Monthly, semiannually, other?
How do you cycle them manually? Is it just as simple to hook up to the tractor and run it through it's paces?
The easiest way to to just hit the button on your joystick every now and then, it matters not if your grapple is installed, pushing the button will cycle the valve. To do it "manually" requires you to remove the spools form the valve body, something you should not have to do unless they get stuck.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, Kenny - but you really don't even have to start your tractor to do this, right? As long as there's power to the valve block, pushing the button should cycle the spool valves.

I generally will "hit the button" just about every time I'm on my tractor. So often I just have the forks on the FEL so the diverter isn't hooked to anything, but I can hear the solenoids doing their thing.

But, my tractor sat for 4 or 5 weeks without me even getting on it. And, it's been out in the rain. :banghead: I think that's part of what caused my sticking spool problem.

·
Administrator
20,672 Posts
That’s correct. You should hear the solid “click” or “clunk” of the valve operating when the button is pressed, power is on, and tractor not running. :good2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts