Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Got my tractor stuck out back. This is a first. :thumbup1gif:

Stuck Tractor.jpg

It seems it’s hung up on some ice under the rear. I've tried putting all sorts of things under the wheels, but no go. I can call my neighbor to come with his pickup and a chain, but I was concerned about pulling from the boxblade. Any thoughts if that will damage anything? I realize the boxblade and 3pt hitch are pulling all the time when driving forward, but a chain yanking on the rear may produce difference stresses? Thoughts?

I could leave it till next May, but I may need it before then. :lol:

Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,274 Posts
Yes...A chain "yanking" will create lots of stress, SO DON'T DO THAT! Pull slow and steady, and in a straight line. Ideally, try to get the chain UNDER the box blade and attach it to the drawbar plate with shackle.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes...A chain "yanking" will create lots of stress, SO DON'T DO THAT! Pull slow and steady, and in a straight line. Ideally, try to get the chain UNDER the box blade and attach it to the drawbar plate with shackle.
Thanks, Kennyd. I'll go out and see if I can get a chain attached to the drawbar plate with shackle and pull tight without hitting the bottom of the BB causing the hitch to go too high.. If not, I may have to somehow get the BB off.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
If it's just ice under the rear, have you tried pushing it out with the loader?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,764 Posts
I agree. Should work out fine.
The chain hooked to the draw bar once tight will want to lift the rear of the tractor which may help but I'd keep an eye on the top link and where it attaches to the tractor.

Any chance of hooking to the front of the tractor?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have hot and cold water at my hose. Thought of blasting hot water at the ice under the tractor and then getting a ton of sand. But the temps are wicked cold here... -22 this am. I'd be afraid of creating a pool of water around the tractor as it couldn't drain. Then if I couldn't get it out, the wheels would freeze 6' into the ground. Then I'd really not get it out till spring.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Hi folks. Got my tractor stuck out back. This is a first. :thumbup1gif:

View attachment 519842

It seems it’s hung up on some ice under the rear. I've tried putting all sorts of things under the wheels, but no go. I can call my neighbor to come with his pickup and a chain, but I was concerned about pulling from the boxblade. Any thoughts if that will damage anything? I realize the boxblade and 3pt hitch are pulling all the time when driving forward, but a chain yanking on the rear may produce difference stresses? Thoughts?

I could leave it till next May, but I may need it before then. :lol:

Thanks!
Here are a couple of videos using either the bucket or attaching logs to the rear wheels to get unstuck that you might find helpful in getting yourself out of your situation.

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_I8v23wQBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy5BofbZ12s

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a couple of videos using either the bucket or attaching logs to the rear wheels to get unstuck that you might find helpful in getting yourself out of your situation.

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_I8v23wQBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy5BofbZ12s
Thanks, Dave. I've tried using the bucket and no luck. Unfortunately the curl function doesn't seem to have enough power to really move the tractor. On the rear wheel idea, I'm not sure how I'd attach the logs.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can anyone think of a creative way to use a tow truck?... Somehow lifting the tractor up and putting a bunch of logs under the wheels? But I'm not sure what to attach it to without causing damage. If I could somehow get a jack under the rear, I'd be able to put logs under the wheels, but the BB is in the way.

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
Honestly everyone is overlooking one of the most simple methods. Take a snow shovel and dig out the rear end and underneath, then you should be able to curl yourself out with the FEL. I’ve gotten myself out of some pretty bad situations over the years with nothing more than a snow shovel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Old Pa-pa
11,829 Posts
Any chance of unhooking the box blade and completely pulling it out of the way.

That should unload some weight and give you an easier shot at digging the back tires a little easier path
to climb out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly everyone is overlooking one of the most simple methods. Take a snow shovel and dig out the rear end and underneath, then you should be able to curl yourself out with the FEL. I’ve gotten myself out of some pretty bad situations over the years with nothing more than a snow shovel.

That was the first thing I tried (for an hour). It's like a solid block of ice under there. But I'm going to go out in the morning with an ice pick and shovel and go at it again.

I may try to get the BB off, but as you see in the pic, it's not level to the ground and it may be tough getting the iMatch to release it, unless I can prop up the high side with logs - which I'll try.

Anyway, what a PIA. and the temps tomorrow are supposed to be ridiculously cold. But hey... we'll do anything for our tractors!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any chance of unhooking the box blade and completely pulling it out of the way.

That should unload some weight and give you an easier shot at digging the back tires a little easier path
to climb out.
Yup!, thanks Neil. Will try that if the ice pick/shovel don't work.

Also may go buy several bags of gravel from Home Depot and steel a few small rocks from my rock wall and lodge those under the wheels.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts

I'd go this route and then pour some bleach under the rear tires and on top of them. We always kept bleach on our truck when we were driving. It softens the tires some and makes them more pliable and helps to melt the snow. So I was told. I never had to try it. Another way is to put a towel under each rear tire while backing out. That is my wife's favorite trick and I can tell you it works because she won't let me forget it. Had to do it more then once. It even works in mud. Good luck!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd go this route and then pour some bleach under the rear tires and on top of them. We always kept bleach on our truck when we were driving. It softens the tires some and makes them more pliable and helps to melt the snow. So I was told. I never had to try it. Another way is to put a towel under each rear tire while backing out. That is my wife's favorite trick and I can tell you it works because she won't let me forget it. Had to do it more then once. It even works in mud. Good luck!
LOL!

I'll consider the bleach. But if it doesn't work, then maybe it will turn the tractor white and I won't notice the eyesore out the back window for the rest of the winter. :lol:

Regarding the towels... that's the first thing my wife told me to do! We tried it and unfortunately it didn't work. They just got pulled under and out.

If I can't dig it out then I'll try a boat-load of gravel and sand. Last resort is to try to get the BB off and have my neighbor come up with a truck and chain.

·
Registered
23,026 Posts
As has been said, you need to dig somehow. What happens is that the frame gets hung up thus not putting any weight on the tires - equals no traction plus the fact of being hung up.

Pick and shovel - not fun but the best method to get it out without damaging anything.

Don't put any salt down - it will refreeze almost immediately and you will have solid ice to dig/pick through. I also don't see bleach working in this instance since there isn't any weight on the tires. But I have seen bleach work for big trucks stuck on the level on solid ice.

Besides that you already have chains on (good for you!). Once you get some weight on the tires it will walk right out.

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
That was the first thing I tried (for an hour). It's like a solid block of ice under there. But I'm going to go out in the morning with an ice pick and shovel and go at it again.

I may try to get the BB off, but as you see in the pic, it's not level to the ground and it may be tough getting the iMatch to release it, unless I can prop up the high side with logs - which I'll try.

Anyway, what a PIA. and the temps tomorrow are supposed to be ridiculously cold. But hey... we'll do anything for our tractors!
No doubt this is a PITA, these kind things rarely happen when it’s sunny and 70. Definitely should help a lot if you can get the BB out of the way.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We've used the 4 x 4 method several times to get farm tractors unstuck in both mud and deep snow. It will take some ingenuity to get the 4 x 4s on the tires but the results is always success. On a SCUT to might be able to use some ratcheting straps to hold the 4 x 4s on as there isn't nearly the weight of a large tractor.
Ron
Ron

1 - 20 of 136 Posts